Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Rep. Mike Coffman (R-CO) stirs up DC with HR 6134

Old 09-20-10, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rep. Mike Coffman (R-CO) stirs up DC with HR 6134

http://dailybail.com/home/hr-6131-re...rlough-bi.html

(WASHINGTON) — Rep. Mike Coffman (R-CO) this week introduced a bill that would subject federal civilian employees to a two week furlough in 2011 and reduce salaries of members of Congress by 10 percent saving taxpayers more than $5.5 billion. The bill, H.R. 6134, is a one year measure to reduce federal spending and combat the unsustainable deficit spending in Washington.

Introducing his bill, Coffman remarked, “Currently, at least 24 states, and nearly three quarters of a million workers, are undertaking a budget-cutting maneuver that I believe we should institute at the federal level: short term employee furloughs. These states, across the nation, along with city and county government counterparts, recognize that occasional worker furloughs are necessary to cut budgets and hold down spending. It also has the benefit of ensuring that federal workers are not sheltered from the realities of life in today’s economy.”

“One of the most unpleasant adjustments a former small businessman or former state legislator - and I am both - faces in coming to Washington is the unlimited ability of the federal government to deficit spend. Furlough Fridays are becoming a common occurrence for state and local governments. They present slight problems but they provide large solutions to the budget troubles we face. I believe that managed appropriately, with due allowance for vital and national security implications, as specified in this bill, they can do the same for the federal government.”

“The federal government continues to grow, and continues to rack up debt. I would like to make the U.S. government as cost conscious as the states. My legislation is a start,” Coffman concluded.

Coffman’s bill, H.R. 6134, will make federal civilian employees subject to a non-consecutive two week furlough in 2011, correspondingly reduce appropriations for salaries and expenses for offices of the legislative branch, and provide a 10 percent reduction in pay for members of Congress. An exception is provided for national security or reasons relating to public health or safety, including law enforcement. Coffman’s bill will save the federal government over $5.5 billion.

H.R. 6134 is available here.
Of course, this has very little chance of making it out of committee, let alone passing, but it has already stirred up the shit here in DC. One of Virginia's Congresscritters (forgot which one, probably Warner) already came out and lambasted the idea, implying that the bill would require the government to shut down for two weeks. Of course, this is not what the bill says.
Old 09-21-10, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Rep. Mike Coffman (R-CO) stirs up DC with HR 6134

Congress is now deciding to go home and call the session over (earlier than any time since 1960 or so) but yet they believe the world cannot continue without them. And the 2 week furlough is probably not even more than all the new hires by the feds.

It's a great idea. One either party should be championing if they want broad support this November.
Old 09-21-10, 01:46 AM
Banned by request

It is a great idea, which is why it will crash and burn.
Old 09-21-10, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
It's a great idea. One either party should be championing if they want broad support this November.
There is no way the Democrats will get behind this idea. The public sector unions will throw an absolute hizzy-fit if they think it might pass. OTOH, this is the sort of thing that could gain very rabid populist support if sold properly so I guess it is not inconceivable that the Republicans will try it in earnest after they take the House back. It would be a conspicuous, "Hey look! We're doing something" piece of legislation to push through (or even publicly try and push through). Spun correctly, it could also prove to be embarrassing for anyone that tries to fight against it too vociferously.
Old 09-21-10, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk God

a meaningless proposal presented simply for political purposes

The Repubs really need to present proposals that have some real meaning.
Old 09-21-10, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
a meaningless proposal presented simply for political purposes

The Repubs really need to present proposals that have some real meaning.
agreed. That proposal is nothing more than campaign fodder to be used against incumbent Democrats who vote against the bill.
Old 09-21-10, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sorry, how does this have no meaning? You don't think it's a good idea? Or you're simply dismissing it as meaningless because you feel it won't pass? I'd say those are two different things.
Old 09-21-10, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk God

I think if you serious about deficit reduction you look at the programs that are causing a significant portion of the deficit - not some silly thing like the above - how about defense?

This proposal reminds me of yesteryear. Remember the proposals to do away with the Department of Education?
Old 09-21-10, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk God

In addition, some people who are 'dependent' on the services provided by those federal employees who can't provide those services because they are on a 2-week furlough - how about those folks?
Old 09-21-10, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd rather find $5.5 billion worth of positions to remove. Like the old saying goes, give a fish 2 weeks off, and feel good for 2 weeks, kill a fish, and feel better for life.
Old 09-21-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
I'd rather find $5.5 billion worth of positions to remove. Like the old saying goes, give a fish 2 weeks off, and feel good for 2 weeks, kill a fish, and feel better for life.
I'd rather cut the positions that are truly unnecessary and properly fund the ones that are necessary, instead of finding some arbitrary number like "$5.5 billion" and cutting jobs to hit the number.
Old 09-21-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Let's face it - neither the Republicans or the Democrats are serious about budget reductions.

One reason - it might cost them their jobs - come election time.
Old 09-21-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Let's face it - neither the Republicans or the Democrats are serious about budget reductions.
I agree.
Old 09-21-10, 10:10 AM

Let's see if he puts this bill back out there in January when the Republicans are in charge.
Old 09-21-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I'd rather cut the positions that are truly unnecessary and properly fund the ones that are necessary, instead of finding some arbitrary number like "$5.5 billion" and cutting jobs to hit the number.
This. I want less spending all around, but why can't everyone simply agree to eliminate unproductive spending?
Old 09-21-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
why can't everyone simply agree to eliminate unproductive spending?
Old 09-21-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk God

I agree, but that number is probably closer to $40 billion if you are finding ones that are truly unnecessary. I consider this proposal a baby step.
Old 09-21-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I agree, but that number is probably closer to $40 billion if you are finding ones that are truly unnecessary. I consider this proposal a baby step.
Where does that $40 billion figure come from?
Old 09-21-10, 12:03 PM

Where does that $40 billion figure come from?
x<sub>1</sub>(kvrdave) = 7.27 * (x<sub>1</sub>(JasonF)),

where x<sub>1</sub> = propensity to cut government spending.
Old 09-21-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Something like that.

Just a number.
Old 09-21-10, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In addition, some people who are 'dependent' on the services provided by those federal employees who can't provide those services because they are on a 2-week furlough - how about those folks?
You are making the same erroneous argument that Warner did. If a critical service exists, it should not rely on a single person (who is entitled to ample vacation and sick time already). The bill does not suggest that any services will be shut down.
Old 09-21-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk God

I love the "it doesn't save enough to make a difference" argument that is always used on the 100 ideas that combined would make a difference. Instead we are left with the thought that we are best left to continue spending our way to recovery.
Old 09-21-10, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
You are making the same erroneous argument that Warner did. If a critical service exists, it should not rely on a single person (who is entitled to ample vacation and sick time already). The bill does not suggest that any services will be shut down.
What I'm making is a realistic argument - not a political one.
Old 09-21-10, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the "it doesn't save enough to make a difference" argument that is always used on the 100 ideas that combined would make a difference. Instead we are left with the thought that we are best left to continue spending our way to recovery.
What is underlying that rationale is that those ideas are not sincere... they are presented for personal political posturing or as a superficial diversion to draw attention away from the legitimately substantial moves.

Politicians know that, that is why the propose it... they know it won't pass.

These politicians present a bill that will supposedly cut spending and once it goes down in flames, turns around and proposes or supports a bill that brings the pork home.
Old 09-21-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
What is underlying that rationale is that those ideas are not sincere... they are presented for personal political posturing or as a superficial diversion to draw attention away from the legitimately substantial moves.

Politicians know that, that is why the propose it... they know it won't pass.

These politicians present a bill that will supposedly cut spending and once it goes down in flames, turns around and proposes or supports a bill that brings the pork home.
Then the opposition should call the bluff and pass it, right? How is this bill not sincere? Because it is impossible to cut costs similar to what states have done?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.