Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

2010 Gubernatorial Elections

Old 09-19-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2010 Gubernatorial Elections

I tried searching and didn't find a thread dedicated to this.

From Wiki:

The United States gubernatorial elections will be held on Tuesday, November 2, 2010 in 37 states and two territories. Of the 39 elections total to be held, currently 20 seats are held by Democratic incumbents and 19 by Republican incumbents.

Of the Democratic-held governorships up for election in 2010, 8 are held by incumbents who are term-limited, while 4 others are voluntarily choosing not to seek election or re-election.[1] Of the Republican-held governorships up for election in 2010, 8 are held by incumbents who are term-limited, while 4 others are voluntarily choosing not to seek re-election and Incumbent Nevada Governor Jim Gibbons was denied renomination by losing the Republican primary held on June 8 to Former Federal Judge Brian Sandoval.
Any thing interesting going on in your states?

The Minnesota race is looking tight, with independent Tom Horner gaining in the polls (and it looks like he's pulling from both sides).
Old 09-19-10, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: 2010 Gubernatorial Elections

Not in my state, but I always keep an eye on where I grew up: MD is very interesting. O'Malley vs. Ehrlich II. 2 heavyweights....the former Gov. - Ehrlich (R) vs. the current Gov. O'Malley (D). Ehrlich knocked off a tea-partier last week in the primary.

It's not easy for Republicans to win state-wide in MD, but Ehrlich is popular among indies.
Old 09-19-10, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Here in Oregon former governor John Kitzhaber (D) (who served from 1995-2003) is running again against former NBA player Chris Dudley (R). Polls have them neck and neck.
Old 09-19-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk God

We have an interesting race in OK - 2 women - congresswoman vs. Lt. Gov.

One is very conservative. The Democrat is just a little less conservative.

You can make a legitimate argument that OK is the most conservative state. The most conservative Democrat in The House is from OK. The most conservative member of the Senate is from OK.
Old 09-19-10, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Our current Governor, Democrat Jim Doyle, is not term limited but he's become very unpopular and saw the writing on the wall.

We have Democrat and current Milwaukee Mayor (and former US House member) Tom Barrett vs. Republican current Milwaukee County Executive (and former state legislator) Scott Walker. Walker cleaned up a mess eight years ago after a huge Democratic pension scandal resulted in a bunch of recalls and the otherwise almost impossible occurrence of a Republican becoming Milwaukee County Executive. I'm in Madison and don't always see stuff about Milwaukee but it seems to me Walker has brought a pretty fair measure of fiscal responsibility to Milwaukee County. That "miracle" is enough for me to hope he wins. Oh, and he's a CAGW skeptic. The race is pretty close but I think Walker will win.

That, coupled with Ron Johnson (R) having a real chance to knock off Russ Feingold in the Senate race (I'd call it 50/50 now), is actually tempting me to vote for the first time in 30 years.
Old 09-19-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
You can make a legitimate argument that OK is the most conservative state. The most conservative Democrat in The House is from OK. The most conservative member of the Senate is from OK.
I heard Inhofe on NPR yesterday talking some real nonsense about gays in the military. Still, he is a national treasure on the global warming issue and I can put up with his crap on some other issues for that.
Old 09-19-10, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow. I hope you're voting for Feingold. He's one of the few good ones. (And I preemptively acknowledge c-man's inevitable campaign finance law response - no, he's not perfect.)
Old 09-19-10, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Wow. I hope you're voting for Feingold. He's one of the few good ones. (And I preemptively acknowledge c-man's inevitable campaign finance law response - no, he's not perfect.)
No, I'd vote for Johnson. Feingold isn't as "mavericky" as you might think and just voting against the Patriot Act isn't enough. Remember campaign finance reform? He's still a big spender and big ration'n'tax supporter.

Besides, I'd like to see the Republicans take the Senate (I know, long shot, but possible) and Inhofe back as chair of EPW.

I just saw your crack about campaign finance reform. You added that, didn't you because I don't think it was there when I started writing my response.

Last edited by movielib; 09-19-10 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-19-10, 12:37 PM
X
Administrator

Our race for guber is awful. We have Meg Whitman and Jerry Brown.

I could never vote for Meg Whitman due to her personal issues and I don't see how I could vote for Jerry Brown due to his political stances and known history.
Old 09-19-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X View Post
Our race for guber is awful. We have Meg Whitman and Jerry Brown.

I could never vote for Meg Whitman due to her personal issues and I don't see how I could vote for Jerry Brown due to his political stances and known history.
How could Whitman be worse than the Once and Future (he hopes) Governor Moonbeam?
Old 09-19-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
No, I'd vote for Johnson. Feingold isn't as "mavericky" as you might think and just voting against the Patriot Act isn't enough. Remember campaign finance reform? He's still a big spender and big ration'n'tax supporter.

Besides, I'd like to see the Republicans take the Senate (I know, long shot, but possible) and Inhofe back as chair of EPW.

I just saw you're crack about campaign finance reform. You added that, didn't you because I don't think it was there when I started writing my response.
He was the only one who voted against the Patriot Act, right? That speaks volumes to me.

He also voted against the war in Iraq. He takes a better approach on judicial nominations than his brethren.

But I admit I know nothing of his opponent. If you like him, he's probably decent.

I'm simply hoping for the GOP to take the House and get to 45 in Senate - to put the filibuster in play without having to worry about the Snowe-types. That should sufficiently muck things up.
Old 09-19-10, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He was the only one who voted against the Patriot Act, right? That speaks volumes to me.

He also voted against the war in Iraq. He takes a better approach on judicial nominations than his brethren.

But I admit I know nothing of his opponent. If you like him, he's probably decent.

I'm simply hoping for the GOP to take the House and get to 45 in Senate - to put the filibuster in play without having to worry about the Snowe-types. That should sufficiently muck things up.
I can't believe my typo with "you're" for "your." I noticed it when you quoted me. I corrected it in my original.

[I'm anal about grammar, in case people haven't noticed. ]
Old 09-19-10, 01:12 PM
X
Administrator

How could Whitman be worse than the Once and Future (he hopes) Governor Moonbeam?
Personal issues. Such as her not having voted so many times in the past, inexperience with anything she's going to face in Sacramento while at the same time thinking she is well prepared, and her trying to buy the election. Those show her disinterest in what she's running for and a lack of political character that I don't think should be rewarded. Maybe if she were running against Barbara Boxer I'd vote for her, but I'm not sure.

Personal issues is the main reason why I could never vote for Bill or Hillary Clinton. They're so inadequate at that basic level that I can't trust them.
Old 09-19-10, 01:25 PM

In Utah, our incumbent is Mormon and the challenger is Catholic. I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to figure out how that's going to go.
Old 09-19-10, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

GA's election sucks. We have Barnes who was Gov in the past but lost 8 years ago running against former Congressman Deal (who resigned office when his business dealing started getting investigated). Deal beat Handel for the nomination. Handel was one of Palin's "mama grizzlies" and had gotten the plurality in the primary but narrowly lost the run off. So far neither Barnes nor Deal has inspired me. Even the Libertarian candidate is lame. Not sure who I'll vote for
Old 09-19-10, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X View Post
Personal issues. Such as her not having voted so many times in the past, inexperience with anything she's going to face in Sacramento while at the same time thinking she is well prepared, and her trying to buy the election. Those show her disinterest in what she's running for and a lack of political character that I don't think should be rewarded. Maybe if she were running against Barbara Boxer I'd vote for her, but I'm not sure.

Personal issues is the main reason why I could never vote for Bill or Hillary Clinton. They're so inadequate at that basic level that I can't trust them.
Are you voting for Fiorino? I know she has problems too but could anyone be worse than Boxer?
Old 09-19-10, 04:13 PM
X
Administrator

Are you voting for Fiorino? I know she has problems too but could anyone be worse than Boxer?
I'm not real happy about her, but I would vote for just about anyone but Hitler instead of Boxer.

Hmm, let me think about that that exception for a minute...
Old 09-19-10, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk God

I heard Inhofe on NPR yesterday talking some real nonsense about gays in the military. Still, he is a national treasure on the global warming issue and I can put up with his crap on some other issues for that.
Realistic view on energy & the way he makes fun of Barbara Boxer is enough for me.

I don't vote for him, however.
Old 09-19-10, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

And you claim to be a libertarian???

Feingold has a 95% liberal voting record.

You have finally shown your true colors.

The forum congratulates your coming out.

Last edited by classicman2; 09-19-10 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-19-10, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Realistic view on energy & the way he makes fun of Barbara Boxer is enough for me.
I hope he won't have Babs, oops, I mean "Call Me Senator" Babs, to kick around any more.
Old 09-19-10, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk God

And you claim to be a libertarian???

Feingold has a 95% liberal voting record.

You have finally shown your true colors.

The forum congratulates your coming out.
My 2 favorite Senators are Feingold and Coburn. Chew on that.
Old 09-19-10, 06:19 PM
Banned by request

I'm only voting for Whitman if she agrees to change the system so that we can leave negative feedback for our legislature, but our legislature can't leave negative feedback for us.
Old 09-19-10, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My 2 favorite Senators are Feingold and Coburn. Chew on that.
You can have Russ after we throw him out.
Old 09-19-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Holy shit, I just filled out the voter registration application and I'm mailing it tomorrow.

I want to get rid of those damn ration'n'taxers.
Old 09-20-10, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Florida election was already a disappointment before the primaries. People don't think they can trust Rick Scott (R) due to his shady business background. I think Florida would be better off with Alex SInk (D).

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.