Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Former Obama Campaigner Caught Provocatuering As ‘Racist’ Tea Party Member

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Former Obama Campaigner Caught Provocatuering As ‘Racist’ Tea Party Member

Old 09-04-10, 12:12 AM
Banned by request

Re: Former Obama Campaigner Caught Provocatuering As ‘Racist’ Tea Party Member

Guarddog: Protecting DVD Talk from worthwhile topics since 2010.
Old 09-04-10, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently, "The Tea Party" in Michigan is a Democratic front to steal Republican votes. The Supreme Court has kept their nominees off the ballot over a technicality, but the deeper story is the tie to Democratic Party officials, at least one of whom was forced to resign by the party to maintain at least the appearance of ethics.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/politi...86/detail.html
'Tea Party' Won't Be On Mich. Ballot
Appeals Court: Group Doesn't Correctly Show Party Name

LANSING, Mich. -- A shadowy group calling itself "The Tea Party" won't be allowed on the state's November ballot after a Friday order from the Michigan Supreme Court.

The high court's 5-2 vote lets stand a ruling earlier this week from the Michigan Court of Appeals that keeps "The Tea Party" off the ballot because it didn't comply with some technical requirements in state law.

Republicans and tea party activists consider "The Tea Party" a Democrat-supported fake aimed at siphoning away votes from conservative candidates. The effort has connections to a former Oakland County Democratic Party official. . . .

Oakland County Clerk Ruth Johnson, now the Republican secretary of state nominee, requested an investigation after she found what she suspects is fraud in nominating some Tea Party candidates. Johnson has said at least one person listed as a "The Tea Party" candidate has said he was nominated without his knowledge and his signature may have been forged on official paperwork.

Jason Bauer, then an employee of the Oakland County Democratic Party, is listed as the notary on several candidate filings for "The Tea Party." The county party requested and received his resignation last month after allegations about his role with the effort surfaced. Oakland County Democratic Party Chairman Mike McGuinness later stepped down for what he called in a statement "a new professional opportunity." His statement didn't mention "The Tea Party."

Martha Blom, acting chairwoman of the Oakland County Democratic Party, issued a statement recently saying she and the board are "committed to restoring the reputation" of the county organization. Her statement did not mention the Tea Party allegations. . . .
Old 09-04-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Watch the video again. There's nothing in it that links Tyler to the Conway supporters.
Other than the fact that he's near them?

Call me crazy but when a group of people are marching around and chanting about a "cause" I'm not going near them unless I agree with what they stand for.

If you saw a group of KKK members wandering around chanting about God knows what and then saw somebody you knew with them, but not necessarily chanting anything or waving a sign, wouldn't you just assume that person agreed with the rest of the people?

If there's an anti-abortion rally somewhere wouldn't you assume anybody near the group would also be anti-abortion?

If there are 2 opposing groups near each other--one chanting about being pro health care bill and the other chanting about being anti-health care bill wouldn't you assume that anybody within the group of anti-health care people would also be anti-health care and vice versa?

What percentage of the people that showed up to Obama's inauguration supported him?

If the guy wasn't a Jack Conway supporter there would be no reason for him to be in that area with the rest of the Conway supporters.
Old 09-04-10, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
Other than the fact that he's near them?

Call me crazy but when a group of people are marching around and chanting about a "cause" I'm not going near them unless I agree with what they stand for.

If you saw a group of KKK members wandering around chanting about God knows what and then saw somebody you knew with them, but not necessarily chanting anything or waving a sign, wouldn't you just assume that person agreed with the rest of the people?

If there's an anti-abortion rally somewhere wouldn't you assume anybody near the group would also be anti-abortion?

If there are 2 opposing groups near each other--one chanting about being pro health care bill and the other chanting about being anti-health care bill wouldn't you assume that anybody within the group of anti-health care people would also be anti-health care and vice versa?

What percentage of the people that showed up to Obama's inauguration supported him?

If the guy wasn't a Jack Conway supporter there would be no reason for him to be in that area with the rest of the Conway supporters.
Yes, whenever I see two people in the same general vicinity, my immediate assumption is that they are together and agree on all issues. All those people in the background around 1:15 of the video? They all must be Conway supporters because there is no possible reason someone might be in a park at the same time as a group of Conway supporters unless they are also Conway supporters.

Please don't interpret this as a defense of Tyler, by the way -- the guy is clearly a Conway supporter. But I base this on the additional evidence identified by Dave Weigel, not on the scurrilous "logic" represented by whoopdido's post.
Old 09-04-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Guarddog: Protecting DVD Talk from worthwhile topics since 2010.
Hey, his Machete thread was pretty fun until some mod went and locked it.

Of course, it wasn't fun for the reasons he intended, but he's ahead of Grundle.
Old 09-04-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yes, whenever I see two people in the same general vicinity, my immediate assumption is that they are together and agree on all issues. All those people in the background around 1:15 of the video? They all must be Conway supporters because there is no possible reason someone might be in a park at the same time as a group of Conway supporters unless they are also Conway supporters.

Please don't interpret this as a defense of Tyler, by the way -- the guy is clearly a Conway supporter. But I base this on the additional evidence identified by Dave Weigel, not on the scurrilous "logic" represented by whoopdido's post.
So if you're not a racist you would just hang around and chill within a group of KKK members during one of their rallies? If you're not a Glen Beck fan you would have just chilled at his rally?

People don't just hang out with large groups of other people that they don't agree with. They just go someplace else. What possible reason would that guy have to be in that exact spot if he wasn't a Conway supporter? If you don't support Conway, let those people do whatever they want and go to another are of the park until they got done. That was obviously "command central" because there were signs all over and booths and stuff.
Old 09-04-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So if you're not a racist you would just hang around and chill within a group of KKK members during one of their rallies?
You mean you wouldn't hang out with them just because they're KKK members? Now who's the racist?
Old 09-04-10, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So if you're not a racist you would just hang around and chill within a group of KKK members during one of their rallies? If you're not a Glen Beck fan you would have just chilled at his rally?

People don't just hang out with large groups of other people that they don't agree with. They just go someplace else. What possible reason would that guy have to be in that exact spot if he wasn't a Conway supporter? If you don't support Conway, let those people do whatever they want and go to another are of the park until they got done. That was obviously "command central" because there were signs all over and booths and stuff.
Look at the video again. Tyler isn't hanging out with the Conway supporters. They walk past the camera, then he walks past in a completely different direction.

I listen to a podcast done by a guy in DC. The other day, he told a story about running some errands on Saturday. He had forgotten that the Beck rally was going on, so when he tried to come home, he got stuck in traffic. He decided to park his car and walk around the rally to see what was going on. By your logic, that makes him a devoted Glenn Beck follower.
Old 09-04-10, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Look at the video again. Tyler isn't hanging out with the Conway supporters. They walk past the camera, then he walks past in a completely different direction.
Come on. A completely different direction? Really?
Old 09-04-10, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I listen to a podcast done by a guy in DC. The other day, he told a story about running some errands on Saturday. He had forgotten that the Beck rally was going on, so when he tried to come home, he got stuck in traffic. He decided to park his car and walk around the rally to see what was going on. By your logic, that makes him a devoted Glenn Beck follower.
Frankly that makes no sense to me. Like I said, if there is a rally going that I absolutely do not agree with and I'm able to avoid it...I'm avoiding it at all costs. What's to see? It's just a bunch of people that he, presumably, didn't share the same views with, doing their thing.

And as far as this Tyler fella is concerned...he's coming out of a Conway tent thing, recognizes the guy with the camera and tries to avoid him. He's right, smack in the middle of all the hoopla. Certainly not on the outskirts just watching what's going on.
Old 09-04-10, 09:18 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by dork View Post
You mean you wouldn't hang out with them just because they're KKK members? Now who's the racist?
Merging this with the "Kill Whitey" thread.
Old 09-04-10, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Frankly that makes no sense to me. Like I said, if there is a rally going that I absolutely do not agree with and I'm able to avoid it...I'm avoiding it at all costs. What's to see? It's just a bunch of people that he, presumably, didn't share the same views with, doing their thing.

And as far as this Tyler fella is concerned...he's coming out of a Conway tent thing, recognizes the guy with the camera and tries to avoid him. He's right, smack in the middle of all the hoopla. Certainly not on the outskirts just watching what's going on.
Tent? Now I know we're watching different videos.
Old 09-05-10, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Come on. A completely different direction? Really?

Actually, based on the video alone, I wouldn't use that as evidence that he's a Conway supporter. But after everything else posted, it's obvious now.

That Tyler guy was stupid to do that in the first place. If Rand Paul is such a bad politician, people like Tyler shouldn't need to partake in the theatrics like that to prove it.
Old 09-05-10, 03:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Why does the headline (and thread title) make a connection between this guy and Barack Obama when the story doesn't mention Obama, and what this guy was doing had nothing to do with Obama?
Learned that from watching MSNBC when they do that to Right-Wing Republicans.
Old 09-05-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Some people aren't closed minded.
Old 09-05-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
You learned that? But this thread was started by Guarddog. Is there something you "two" want to admit?
Old 09-05-10, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So who's the bigger information terrorist here? "Tyler", or the author of that headline?
Old 09-05-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
Some people aren't closed minded.
Is that, like, supposed to be an insult?
Old 09-06-10, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
MSNBC regularly connects Right-Wing Republicans to Obama? I'm surprised by that.
Old 09-06-10, 10:52 AM
Needs to provide a working email address

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
MSNBC regularly connects Right-Wing Republicans to Obama? I'm surprised by that.
Rightwing leftwing, two sides of the same coin. Smear campaigns and sweeping accusations come from both sides, sorry but he was a former obama campaigner that's not a lie...
Old 09-06-10, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
So who's the bigger information terrorist here? "Tyler", or the author of that headline?
Well, from the picture posted Tyler was obviously an Obama supporter. What makes the thread title wrong?
Old 09-06-10, 12:38 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Guarddog View Post
Rightwing leftwing, two sides of the same coin.
You're right! Both sides deny the grand truth of the legendary period of peace between dinosaurs and man. Deniers, all of them!
Old 09-06-10, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Guarddog View Post
Rightwing leftwing, two sides of the same coin. Smear campaigns and sweeping accusations come from both sides, sorry but he was a former obama campaigner that's not a lie...
There's no factual information in the "news" story you posted that is evidence that this fellow was former Obama campaigner, so your claim that it is not a lie is just that: an unsubstantiated claim.

However, that was not the point of my post, so don't try to spin away from that point.

I have no doubt that if this fellow is engaging in this masquerade in support of a Democratic Senate candidate, that he is a dedicated enough Democrat to have worked on behalf of the Obama campaign [please note that I said "on behalf of" and not "for"] in 2008.

That does not explain why that choice tidbit from his biography would be included in the headline when (again, I will point out) that nothing in this story has any connection to Obama.

But I do appreciate your admission that the thread you started is just a part of smear campaign that makes sweeping accusations.
Old 09-06-10, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Here's another pic of the guy:

Old 09-06-10, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a Seinfeld T-shirt. Other than being a fan of the show, I have no connection to it.

I also have a shirt with the San Jose Earthquakes logo. I have no interest in that team or soccer.

That photograph may prove what was an unsubstantiated claim in the OP, but that doesn't explain the inclusion and the prominent placing of that information.

Wouldn't it make as much sense for the headline to be: Murray State Alumnus Caught Provocatuering...

And actually, wouldn't that make more sense since MSU is in Kentucky, and this incident took place in Kentucky, and concerns a Kentucky election?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.