Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Old 08-26-10, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

I guess I'll be it.

Let's start off with this fun story about a bias attack in New York City:

http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/the-ga...as-attack.html

Muslim Cabdriver Stabbed in New York Bias Attack

A New York City cabdriver was attacked Tuesday night in an apparent anti-Muslim bias attack. According to the NYPD, Michael Enright, 21, of Brewster, N.Y., hailed a cab in Manhattan, asked the driver Ahmed Sharif, 43, about his Muslim faith, and then slashed and stabbed him with a knife in the throat, face, and arm, The New York Times reports.

In the midst of the controversy surrounding the so-called Ground Zero mosque and anxiety over illegal immigration, this is just the latest and most gruesome manifestation of xenophobia and Islamophobia. Over the weekend, an African-American passerby was taunted and jeered by a crowd in lower Manhattan who were protesting the plan to build an Islamic community center, known as Park51, two blocks from Ground Zero. They mistakenly believed the man to be a Muslim counterprotester, and the interaction was caught on video.

One would hope that such incidents are merely the isolated behavior of a few unstable individuals, but there is ample evidence that hostile views toward Muslims and immigrants are on the rise throughout the country.

Rasmussen Reports posted poll results on Monday showing recent increases in both the percentage of Americans closely following the "mosque" controversy and strongly opposing the community center's construction. According to Rasmussen, "58% who are following the story very closely, up from 22% in mid-July. Now 62% oppose the building of a mosque near where the World Trade Center stood in Lower Manhattan, compared to 54% in the previous survey."

That comes on the heels of last week's report from the Pew Research Center that there has been a "sharp decline" in the percentage of Americans who can correctly identify President Obama's religion. Only 34 percent say Obama is a Christian, down from 48 percent in 2009. Forty-three percent say they do not know what Obama's religion is, while 18 percent incorrectly state he is a Muslim, up from 12 percent last year.

These poll results reflect the climate of fear-mongering about dubious allegations of radical connections to the Park51 project and terrorist threats that could supposedly emanate from there. They also may be related to the antipathy toward immigrants that is fueling recent discussion among prominent Republicans of revoking the birthright citizenship bestowed upon all Americans, even those born to undocumented immigrants, by the 14th Amendment to the Constitution.
Isolated incident? Muslim bias starting to get out of hand? Does this demonstrate that we need Sharia law?

Actually, I think we just need more sharing.
Old 08-26-10, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk God

re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

So do these protesting fools now automatically assume that black men are Muslim?
Old 08-26-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
So do these protesting fools now automatically assume that black men are Muslim?
Well, Sikh cabbies were putting signs up after 9/11 saying "I AM NOT A MUSLIM. PLEASE DO NOT STAB ME." so... yeah.
Old 08-26-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sigh. Of course, not all Muslims should be stabbed. *Most* Muslims should not be stabbed and many of them should, in fact, not be punctured in any way. But liberals and European multicultural secularists who think that *no* Muslims should be stabbed are dangerously deluded. Because women and gays.
Old 08-26-10, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dork View Post
Sigh. Of course, not all Muslims should be stabbed. *Most* Muslims should not be stabbed and many of them should, in fact, not be punctured in any way. But liberals and European multicultural secularists who think that *no* Muslims should be stabbed are dangerously deluded. Because women and gays.
I agree, but Mohammad Ali is pretty fast, so you gotta get your stabs in when you can.
Old 08-26-10, 10:30 AM

I am neither female nor gay, therefore I am a Muslim fanatic. Or something.
Old 08-26-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I am neither female nor gay, therefore I am a Muslim fanatic. Or something.
You're not??? Then what happened between us last night?
Old 08-26-10, 10:35 AM

Uh oh, my cover's blown.
Old 08-26-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Uh oh, my cover's blown.
I love that song! Thank Allah Belle & Sebastian aren't Muslims.
Old 08-26-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Have we really gotten to the point now where liberals are mocking concerns about women's rights and gay rights? Clearly, the status of women, gays and artists under Islam could not possibly be a serious issue, and anyone who says it is is merely using it as a cover for their true ISLAMOPHOBIA.

From the article:

"One would hope that such incidents are merely the isolated behavior of a few unstable individuals.."

Yeah, I'm sure the MSM is hoping this is an isolated incident. And while I'm sure many out there are praying that this attacker was Robert Spencer's bodyguard, it might be wise to get the whole story as to what this guy's motivations were:

Alleged anti-Muslim attacker works at pro-Park51 group -

Ben Smith: Alleged anti-Muslim attacker works at pro-Park51 group

August 25, 2010

The apparent anti-Muslim assault on a New York city cabbie by a man shouting “Assalamu Alaikum. Consider this a checkpoint" produced an immediate round of recriminations over its connection to opposition to a New York Islamic Center and an apparent rising tide of Islamophobia.

But as often at the intersection of politics and violent crime, the story doesn't appear to fit any easy stereotype: The alleged assailant, Michael Enright, is — according to his Facebook profile and the website of the left-leaning media organization Intersections International — a student at the School of Visual Arts and a volunteer for Intersections, which recently produced a statement of support for the Park51 project and is funded by the mainstream, liberal Collegiate Church of New York.

Intersections did not respond to two messages, and the group does not appear to be picking up the phone. Enright did not respond to a message through his Facebook account.

But this appears to be the same man: Police described Enright as a resident of Brewster, 21 years old, and an employee of an "Internet media company who had recently spent time with a combat unit in Afghanistan filming military exercises until this past May."

His Facebook picture, above, appears to show him in Afghanistan. The page describes him as a cinematographer and photographer for Intersections.

Charles Johnson turns up a description of his work:

Michael Enright, a student at the School of Visual Arts and volunteer for Intersections’ Veteran-Civilian Dialogue program, was featured in The Journal News. Enright is working on his thesis film project about war’s effects on the soul, which includes excerpts of the Veteran-Civilian Dialogue. Enright’s film follows his former classmate Cpl. Alex Eckner, and Eckner’s army unit through basic training in Hawaii, deployment to Afghanistan and their return home.

The Village Voice first reported the connection.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi...p.html?showall
Old 08-26-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Have we really gotten to the point now where liberals are mocking concerns about women's rights and gay rights? Clearly, the status of women, gays and artists under Islam could not possibly be a serious issue, and anyone who says it is is merely using it as a cover for their true ISLAMOPHOBIA.

It's not a serious issue here. It's not an issue here at all. But sharia sharia.....it's coming here.....booga booga!!!
Old 08-26-10, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And I hate to challenge the fantasyland of the left, where rising Islamophobia and hate crimes against Muslims are skyrocketing in the wake of 9/11, but reality paints a different picture. But still, from the mainstream media, every time there is an ACTUAL act of violence committed by Muslims in the name of Islam, or when there are arrests for terrorist plots, we can be sure the main concern will not be fear of Islam-inspired violence, but rather "fear of an anti-Islam backlash".

Surprise: More hate crimes against Christians than against Muslims

By: Mark Hemingway

Commentary Staff Writer

08/25/10 11:15 AM PDT

This morning there was a report that a cab driver in New York was stabbed because he was Muslim. While the facts are still emerging, all reasonable people can agree this is a shameful and un-American act if this proves to be true.

This incident will undoubtedly be used by the media to further push the narrative that the controversy over the Mosque near Ground Zero in New York shows how Americans are bigoted against Muslims. So here’s some clarifying info from the FBI. According to the latest hate crime statistics available, there were 1,606 hate crime offenses motivated by religious bias in 2008. A closer look: 65.7 percent of them were committed against Jews. Against Muslims? 7.7 percent.

Depending on which population estimates you accept for Muslims (anywhere between 4 and 7 million), hate crimes are committed against Jews at a rate three to eight times greater than against Muslims. Yet something tells me that despite all these hard numbers — as opposed to Time’s “anecdotal evidence” – that magazine is not going to run a cover anytime soon asking, “Is America Anti-Semitic?”

After 9/11, there was a quick spike in anti-Muslim hate crimes — there were 28 in 2000, then 155 in 2002. In 2008, there were 123. Even one hate crime is too many, but consider: Between 2 and 4 of every 100,000 Muslims was a hate crime victim in 2008. The murder rate in D.C. last year was about 24 for every 100,000 residents.

Another interesting data point: 4.7 percent of hate crimes in 2008 were motivated by anti-Catholic bias. Another 3.7 percent were anti-Protestant. So from a raw numbers perspective, there were more hate crimes against Christians in America in 2008 than there were against Muslims. Given our large Christian population, it’s true that each Christian is far less likely to be victimized, but the numbers still show that religious haters have not been singling out Muslims

Read more at the San Francisco Examiner: http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/bl...#ixzz0xiwlre00
Old 08-26-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Given how large the Christian population is relative to Islam in this country, would not one expect more "hate crimes" with Christian victims?
Old 08-26-10, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not a serious issue here. It's not an issue here at all. But sharia sharia.....it's coming here.....booga booga!!!
Yeah, and that's exactly what most Europeans said 15 years ago. Now practically every country in Western Europe is struggling with the issue---most of the countries have had national debates and votes on banning the veil and how that conforms with civil liberties. But I understand it's more comforting to pretend the people in those countries are just stupid and creating an issue when one really doesn't exist.
Old 08-26-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Thank Allah Belle & Sebastian aren't Muslims.

THEY'RE HERE ALREADY! YOU'RE NEXT!!!
Old 08-26-10, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Given how large the Christian population is relative to Islam in this country, would not one expect more "hate crimes" with Christian victims?
The article said that.
Old 08-26-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk God

From the 'tolerant wing' of the DVD Talk Politics Forum:

'If you oppose this you are a racist, bigot, blind, stupid, ignorant, ......etc.'

Have I left anything out?
Thanks to Red Dog, we can add fools to that list.
Old 08-26-10, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, and that's exactly what most Europeans said 15 years ago. Now practically every country in Western Europe is struggling with the issue---most of the countries have had national debates and votes on banning the veil and how that conforms with civil liberties. But I understand it's more comforting to pretend the people in those countries are just stupid and creating an issue when one really doesn't exist.
Europe doesn't have a Constitution, at least not one like ours.

Also, if you can't see the differences btwn the history of the United States vs. the history of Europe when it comes to cultural influences and assimilation, I can't help you.

But please continue your scare-mongering. It's sad, but amusing.
Old 08-26-10, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk God

The article said that.
So you posted an article that confirms the obvious. Sweet.
Old 08-26-10, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Thanks to Red Dog, we can add fools to that list.
You betcha!
Old 08-26-10, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Europe doesn't have a Constitution, at least not one like ours.

Also, if you can't see the differences btwn the history of the United States vs. the history of Europe when it comes to cultural influences and assimilation, I can't help you.

But please continue your scare-mongering. It's sad, but amusing.
Thank you. I swear to Allah, it's like everyone fucking forgets that the Constitution exists.

Last edited by Tracer Bullet; 08-26-10 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-26-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So you posted an article that confirms the obvious. Sweet.
It's obvious to me that anti-Jewish acts are three to eight times more likely than anti-Muslim acts in the US---glad to see that it's obvious to everyone else.
Old 08-26-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk God

Thank you. I swear to Allah, it's like everyone fucking forgets that the Constittution exists
When there are 5 devotees of Sharia sitting on the Supreme Court, then I'll be worried.
Old 08-26-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you. I swear to Allah, it's like everyone fucking forgets that the Constittution exists
Why, you've just found the solution to peace in the Middle East---they don't need to worry about religion and culture and land and tribes---they all just need to adopt the US Bill of Rights and impose it on their populations.
Old 08-26-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk God

It's obvious to me that anti-Jewish acts are three to eight times more likely than anti-Muslim acts in the US---glad to see that it's obvious to everyone else.
That's a good point, although I've certainly read or heard about coverage about anti-Jewish crimes.

Maybe the story should have centered around that, yet the headline: "Surprise: more hate crimes against Christians...." Seriously?!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.