Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Old 08-26-10, 11:21 AM
  #26  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,055
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Tracer - a person who clearly has nothing but respect for the way gays and women are treated in Saudi Arabia and Iran. The forum sure has him figured out.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 11:22 AM
  #27  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
You betcha!

big·ot –noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 11:24 AM
  #28  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: MN
Posts: 23,936
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Wait, so are hate-crimes on the rise against Muslims or not?
starman9000 is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 11:25 AM
  #29  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sean O'Hara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vichy America
Posts: 13,535
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Have we really gotten to the point now where liberals are mocking concerns about women's rights and gay rights?
Oh, no. It's more than just liberals mocking you.

Clearly, the status of women, gays and artists under Islam could not possibly be a serious issue, and anyone who says it is is merely using it as a cover for their true ISLAMOPHOBIA.
No one is saying it's not a serious concern. It just has nothing to do with religious freedom in the United States.
Sean O'Hara is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 11:26 AM
  #30  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,055
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
big·ot –noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.
Ah, so you believe blacks who were intolerant of the typical southern white opinion circa 1960 were bigots?

That's a silly definition. So I'm a bigot if I think the KKK has a reprehensible and indefensible opinion on race?

Really - I don't care. I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep if you think I'm a bigot although I think you should man up and do it directly instead of throwing definitions at me. It doesn't make those protesters any less stupid.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 11:26 AM
  #31  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
When there are 5 devotees of Sharia sitting on the Supreme Court, then I'll be worried.
And the way things are going, it'll be 2200 before we get our first Muslim Supreme Court Justice.
Tracer Bullet is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 11:28 AM
  #32  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Ah, so you believe blacks who were intolerant of the typical southern white opinion circa 1960 were bigots?

That's a silly definition. So I'm a bigot if I think the KKK has a reprehensible and indefensible opinion on race?
Mr. Inconsistency speaks again.

I don't to ever want to hear you comment on another persons inconsistency.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 11:29 AM
  #33  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Ah, so you believe blacks who were intolerant of the typical southern white opinion circa 1960 were bigots?

That's a silly definition. So I'm a bigot if I think the KKK has a reprehensible and indefensible opinion on race?
You most certainly would be, and by the logic of many on this forum it would be correct to classify you as an intolerant Klanophobe.
Ky-Fi is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 11:36 AM
  #34  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sean O'Hara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vichy America
Posts: 13,535
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Mr. Inconsistency speaks again.

I don't to ever want to hear you comment on another persons inconsistency.
When he wants to pass laws banning the Klan or forbidding them from peaceful assembly, then he'll be inconsistent. But his view seems to be, "If Klansmen or Muslims do something illegal, prosecute their asses. Otherwise leave them alone."
Sean O'Hara is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 11:37 AM
  #35  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,055
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
You most certainly would be, and by the logic of many on this forum it would be correct to classify you as an intolerant Klanophobe.
I couldn't care less.

But what I wouldn't do is claim that they can't build something on property they own or that they don't have the right to their stupid opinion (and the right to speak it) on race.

The view of some on tolerance is certainly interesting. Some seem to believe that 100% opposition to a person or groups view on something is intolerance.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 11:38 AM
  #36  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,055
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
When he wants to pass laws banning the Klan or forbidding them from peaceful assembly, then he'll be inconsistent. But his view seems to be, "If Klansmen or Muslims do something illegal, prosecute their asses. Otherwise leave them alone."
Let c-man go. Let him lob his indirect (some trolling, some not....sadly) 'insults' at me. Notice he didn't man up.

And to think, I defended the guy by separating him from the protesters. I might have to rethink that.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 11:41 AM
  #37  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,055
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
And the way things are going, it'll be 2200 before we get our first Muslim Supreme Court Justice.
2200? That's creeping sharia. You're scaring Ky Fi.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 11:41 AM
  #38  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 25,062
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Why, you've just found the solution to peace in the Middle East---they don't need to worry about religion and culture and land and tribes---they all just need to adopt the US Bill of Rights and impose it on their populations.
Yes, that's exactly the point I was making! You are good at reading things!
Tracer Bullet is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 11:44 AM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I couldn't care less.

But what I wouldn't do is claim that they can't build something on property they own or that they don't have the right to their stupid opinion on race.

The view of some on tolerance is certainly interesting. Some seem to believe that 100% opposition to a person or groups view on something is intolerance.
Well, it IS intolerance--not legal intolerance, but intellectual intolerance. But in the stupid postmodern culture we live in, "tolerance" has now been deemed a paramount virtue. That's logically ridiculous. Is it something to pat yourself on the back for to be tolerant of cruelty, injustice, racism, totalitarianism?

Anyways, I agree with you, and I've never said there's no legal right to prohibit a mosque being built on this site. And actually, I'm not sure I'm opposed to the mosque being built there period, as it's already getting people to look into Islam a lot more seriously and enter the debate, and I'm sure it will continue to do that once it's built.
Ky-Fi is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 11:47 AM
  #40  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
2200? That's creeping sharia. You're scaring Ky Fi.
Don't get me started on Kagan and Sharia
Ky-Fi is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 11:53 AM
  #41  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,055
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
\as it's already getting people to look into Islam a lot more seriously and enter the debate, and I'm sure it will continue to do that once it's built.

You don't really believe this do you?

And I disagree with you that rejection of an idea or belief is intolerance (which I guess makes me intolerant again). But like I said, if you or anyone wants to label me as intolerant since I reject certain beliefs, feel free...it's just a silly label with no meaning and adds nothing to the conversation.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 12:00 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tennessee, USA
Posts: 3,515
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

I'm a Christian living in Murfreesboro, TN where we have our own hot little mosque controversy. Just so you guys know, not all Christians think it's right to respond as many of the mosque protesters have. In fact, the behavior of many who call themselves "Christians" is utterly shameful. Although I do think Islam in its radical, violent form (which is reality that cannot be denied) is dangerous, the following sums up my thoughts pretty well (written by a guy I know)...

http://jodywebster.com/2010/08/chris...sques-america/
taa455 is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 12:03 PM
  #43  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 123,055
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by taa455 View Post
I'm a Christian living in Murfreesboro, TN where we have our own hot little mosque controversy. Just so you guys know, not all Christians think it's right to respond as many of the mosque protesters have. In fact, the behavior of many who call themselves "Christians" is utterly shameful. Although I do think Islam in its radical, violent form (which is reality that cannot be denied) is dangerous, the following sums up my thoughts pretty well (written by a guy I know)...

http://jodywebster.com/2010/08/chris...sques-america/
Good to hear from someone there....I posted an article about Murfreesboro in the previous thread.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 12:05 PM
  #44  
Admin-MemeCat
 
VinVega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Caught between the moon and NYC
Posts: 31,698
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

I think this whole Mosque saga really speaks to the power of media in this world. This was a localized virtual non issue until the big media outlets started pumping the story. It's amazing to watch the whole thing unfold.
VinVega is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 12:14 PM
  #45  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,303
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I think this whole Mosque saga really speaks to the power of media in this world. This was a localized virtual non issue until the big media outlets started pumping the story. It's amazing to watch the whole thing unfold.
No. The overwhelming blames lies at the feet of our "leaders", particularly a few GOP elected officials and Newt, as well as the President. whose lack of leadership on this issue has been appalling.
Pharoh is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 12:17 PM
  #46  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sean O'Hara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vichy America
Posts: 13,535
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

It's clearly the GOP trying to drum up a media firestorm that makes the Dems look like weak sisters. They've done God, gays, and illegal immigrants this summer, so next up should be a gun controversy.
Sean O'Hara is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 12:26 PM
  #47  
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: In mourning
Posts: 26,303
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
It's clearly the GOP trying to drum up a media firestorm that makes the Dems look like weak sisters. They've done God, gays, and illegal immigrants this summer, so next up should be a gun controversy.
Likely, though Democrats are largely opposed to the Mosque as well.


It does not change the fact that the President, with the biggest bullhorn, had an opportunity and due to political calculations he took the cowardly path.
Pharoh is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 12:28 PM
  #48  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Likely, though Democrats are largely opposed to the Mosque as well.


It does not change the fact that the President, with the biggest bullhorn, had an opportunity and due to political calculations he took the cowardly path.
He was "present".
Ky-Fi is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 12:28 PM
  #49  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
It's clearly the GOP trying to drum up a media firestorm that makes the Dems look like weak sisters. They've done God, gays, and illegal immigrants this summer, so next up should be a gun controversy.
People keep suggesting this but the Democrats are talking about it too. Obama brought himself into this mess
Venusian is offline  
Old 08-26-10, 12:31 PM
  #50  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Ky-Fi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Cape Ann, Massachusetts
Posts: 10,928
re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
You don't really believe this do you?
Hey, for years on end I couldn't pay people to come into this thread and debate.
Ky-Fi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.