Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Old 08-26-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk God

re: Musulmans and the Occident Part II or Whatever

Tracer - a person who clearly has nothing but respect for the way gays and women are treated in Saudi Arabia and Iran. The forum sure has him figured out.
Old 08-26-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
You betcha!

big·ot –noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.
Old 08-26-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait, so are hate-crimes on the rise against Muslims or not?
Old 08-26-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi View Post
Have we really gotten to the point now where liberals are mocking concerns about women's rights and gay rights?
Oh, no. It's more than just liberals mocking you.

Clearly, the status of women, gays and artists under Islam could not possibly be a serious issue, and anyone who says it is is merely using it as a cover for their true ISLAMOPHOBIA.
No one is saying it's not a serious concern. It just has nothing to do with religious freedom in the United States.
Old 08-26-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
big·ot –noun
a person who is utterly intolerant of any differing creed, belief, or opinion.
Ah, so you believe blacks who were intolerant of the typical southern white opinion circa 1960 were bigots?

That's a silly definition. So I'm a bigot if I think the KKK has a reprehensible and indefensible opinion on race?

Really - I don't care. I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep if you think I'm a bigot although I think you should man up and do it directly instead of throwing definitions at me. It doesn't make those protesters any less stupid.
Old 08-26-10, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

When there are 5 devotees of Sharia sitting on the Supreme Court, then I'll be worried.
And the way things are going, it'll be 2200 before we get our first Muslim Supreme Court Justice.
Old 08-26-10, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Ah, so you believe blacks who were intolerant of the typical southern white opinion circa 1960 were bigots?

That's a silly definition. So I'm a bigot if I think the KKK has a reprehensible and indefensible opinion on race?
Mr. Inconsistency speaks again.

I don't to ever want to hear you comment on another persons inconsistency.
Old 08-26-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You most certainly would be, and by the logic of many on this forum it would be correct to classify you as an intolerant Klanophobe.
Old 08-26-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Mr. Inconsistency speaks again.

I don't to ever want to hear you comment on another persons inconsistency.
When he wants to pass laws banning the Klan or forbidding them from peaceful assembly, then he'll be inconsistent. But his view seems to be, "If Klansmen or Muslims do something illegal, prosecute their asses. Otherwise leave them alone."
Old 08-26-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk God

You most certainly would be, and by the logic of many on this forum it would be correct to classify you as an intolerant Klanophobe.
I couldn't care less.

But what I wouldn't do is claim that they can't build something on property they own or that they don't have the right to their stupid opinion (and the right to speak it) on race.

The view of some on tolerance is certainly interesting. Some seem to believe that 100% opposition to a person or groups view on something is intolerance.
Old 08-26-10, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
When he wants to pass laws banning the Klan or forbidding them from peaceful assembly, then he'll be inconsistent. But his view seems to be, "If Klansmen or Muslims do something illegal, prosecute their asses. Otherwise leave them alone."
Let c-man go. Let him lob his indirect (some trolling, some not....sadly) 'insults' at me. Notice he didn't man up.

And to think, I defended the guy by separating him from the protesters. I might have to rethink that.
Old 08-26-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
And the way things are going, it'll be 2200 before we get our first Muslim Supreme Court Justice.
2200? That's creeping sharia. You're scaring Ky Fi.
Old 08-26-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why, you've just found the solution to peace in the Middle East---they don't need to worry about religion and culture and land and tribes---they all just need to adopt the US Bill of Rights and impose it on their populations.
Yes, that's exactly the point I was making! You are good at reading things!
Old 08-26-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I couldn't care less.

But what I wouldn't do is claim that they can't build something on property they own or that they don't have the right to their stupid opinion on race.

The view of some on tolerance is certainly interesting. Some seem to believe that 100% opposition to a person or groups view on something is intolerance.
Well, it IS intolerance--not legal intolerance, but intellectual intolerance. But in the stupid postmodern culture we live in, "tolerance" has now been deemed a paramount virtue. That's logically ridiculous. Is it something to pat yourself on the back for to be tolerant of cruelty, injustice, racism, totalitarianism?

Anyways, I agree with you, and I've never said there's no legal right to prohibit a mosque being built on this site. And actually, I'm not sure I'm opposed to the mosque being built there period, as it's already getting people to look into Islam a lot more seriously and enter the debate, and I'm sure it will continue to do that once it's built.
Old 08-26-10, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2200? That's creeping sharia. You're scaring Ky Fi.
Don't get me started on Kagan and Sharia
Old 08-26-10, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk God

\as it's already getting people to look into Islam a lot more seriously and enter the debate, and I'm sure it will continue to do that once it's built.

You don't really believe this do you?

And I disagree with you that rejection of an idea or belief is intolerance (which I guess makes me intolerant again). But like I said, if you or anyone wants to label me as intolerant since I reject certain beliefs, feel free...it's just a silly label with no meaning and adds nothing to the conversation.
Old 08-26-10, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm a Christian living in Murfreesboro, TN where we have our own hot little mosque controversy. Just so you guys know, not all Christians think it's right to respond as many of the mosque protesters have. In fact, the behavior of many who call themselves "Christians" is utterly shameful. Although I do think Islam in its radical, violent form (which is reality that cannot be denied) is dangerous, the following sums up my thoughts pretty well (written by a guy I know)...

http://jodywebster.com/2010/08/chris...sques-america/
Old 08-26-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by taa455 View Post
I'm a Christian living in Murfreesboro, TN where we have our own hot little mosque controversy. Just so you guys know, not all Christians think it's right to respond as many of the mosque protesters have. In fact, the behavior of many who call themselves "Christians" is utterly shameful. Although I do think Islam in its radical, violent form (which is reality that cannot be denied) is dangerous, the following sums up my thoughts pretty well (written by a guy I know)...

http://jodywebster.com/2010/08/chris...sques-america/
Good to hear from someone there....I posted an article about Murfreesboro in the previous thread.
Old 08-26-10, 12:05 PM
Admin-MemeCat

I think this whole Mosque saga really speaks to the power of media in this world. This was a localized virtual non issue until the big media outlets started pumping the story. It's amazing to watch the whole thing unfold.
Old 08-26-10, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I think this whole Mosque saga really speaks to the power of media in this world. This was a localized virtual non issue until the big media outlets started pumping the story. It's amazing to watch the whole thing unfold.
No. The overwhelming blames lies at the feet of our "leaders", particularly a few GOP elected officials and Newt, as well as the President. whose lack of leadership on this issue has been appalling.
Old 08-26-10, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's clearly the GOP trying to drum up a media firestorm that makes the Dems look like weak sisters. They've done God, gays, and illegal immigrants this summer, so next up should be a gun controversy.
Old 08-26-10, 12:26 PM

It's clearly the GOP trying to drum up a media firestorm that makes the Dems look like weak sisters. They've done God, gays, and illegal immigrants this summer, so next up should be a gun controversy.
Likely, though Democrats are largely opposed to the Mosque as well.

It does not change the fact that the President, with the biggest bullhorn, had an opportunity and due to political calculations he took the cowardly path.
Old 08-26-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
Likely, though Democrats are largely opposed to the Mosque as well.

It does not change the fact that the President, with the biggest bullhorn, had an opportunity and due to political calculations he took the cowardly path.
He was "present".
Old 08-26-10, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

People keep suggesting this but the Democrats are talking about it too. Obama brought himself into this mess
Old 08-26-10, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You don't really believe this do you?
Hey, for years on end I couldn't pay people to come into this thread and debate.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.