Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Favorite president
George Washington
15
15.00%
John Adams
0
0%
Thomas Jefferson
6
6.00%
James Madison
0
0%
James Monroe
0
0%
John Quincy Adams
0
0%
Andrew Jackson
1
1.00%
Abraham Lincoln
6
6.00%
Ulysses S. Grant
0
0%
Theodore Roosevelt
4
4.00%
William Taft
2
2.00%
Woodrow Wilson
0
0%
Herbert Hoover
0
0%
Franklin D Roosevelt
5
5.00%
Harry Truman
5
5.00%
Dwight Eisenhower
2
2.00%
John F Kennedy
2
2.00%
Lyndon B. Johnson
1
1.00%
Richard Nixon
2
2.00%
Gerald Ford
1
1.00%
Jimmy Carter
3
3.00%
Ronald Reagan
19
19.00%
George H.W. Bush
1
1.00%
Bill Clinton
19
19.00%
George W Bush
6
6.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Favorite President

Old 08-14-10, 05:57 PM
  #1  
En vacance
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,512
Favorite President

how to add a poll

ah got it

i'll go with Lincoln!

Last edited by FRwL; 08-15-10 at 02:39 AM.
FRwL is offline  
Old 08-14-10, 05:59 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: United States
Posts: 2,506
Re: Favorite President

Click on "Thread Tools" at the right corner of your opening post, then click "Add Poll".
Blu Man is offline  
Old 08-14-10, 06:06 PM
  #3  
X
Administrator
 
X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1987
Location: AA-
Posts: 10,739
Re: Favorite President

Here, I'll add one for you...

X is offline  
Old 08-14-10, 06:06 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Re: Favorite President

Obama. Wait, favorite for what?
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 08-14-10, 06:10 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: La Crosse, WI
Posts: 15,556
Re: Favorite President

FDR



Spoiler:
NORML54601 is offline  
Old 08-14-10, 11:01 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sean O'Hara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Vichy America
Posts: 13,535
Re: Favorite President

William Henry Harrison. Our history would be much better if more Presidents had followed his lead.
Sean O'Hara is offline  
Old 08-14-10, 11:04 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Work. Or commuting. Certainly not at home.
Posts: 17,816
Re: Favorite President

John Hanson!
wildcatlh is offline  
Old 08-14-10, 11:10 PM
  #8  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,839
Re: Favorite President

Toss-up between Jimmy Carter and George W. Bush.
Groucho is offline  
Old 08-14-10, 11:18 PM
  #9  
Moderator
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di Salò
Posts: 32,858
Re: Favorite President

I don't have one. Of those who served during my adulthood, I liked George HW Bush pretty well, although he really increased the deficit, so I don't know about him after all.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 08-14-10, 11:19 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Decadance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 1,781
Re: Favorite President

Jefferson, the first president with balls.
Decadance is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 02:42 AM
  #11  
En vacance
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,512
Re: Favorite President

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
William Henry Harrison. Our history would be much better if more Presidents had followed his lead.
I just looked at his page on wikipedia and it says "William Henry Harrison (February 9, 1773 – April 4, 1841) " wtf?!
FRwL is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 02:57 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,523
Re: Favorite President

Originally Posted by FRwL View Post
I just looked at his page on wikipedia and it says "William Henry Harrison (February 9, 1773 – April 4, 1841) " wtf?!
He was born on February 9, 1773 and died on April 4, 1841. Not sure why that is confusing you.
JasonF is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 03:08 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,885
Re: Favorite President

Washington
statcat is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 03:55 AM
  #14  
En vacance
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 2,512
Re: Favorite President

Oh nevermind.. i should stop posting late night
FRwL is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 08:18 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: Favorite President

The best president, during my lifetime, was Harry Truman.

I believe the most 'important' president in our history was George Washington.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 09:24 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Re: Favorite President

Originally Posted by Joe Camel View Post
Obama. Please add him to the poll.
I wanted to vote for Obama too, so I just voted for the closet thing: W Bush.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 09:41 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Lower Gum Curve
Posts: 19,045
Re: Favorite President

Originally Posted by Joe Camel View Post
Obama. Please add him to the poll.
I'm sorta cool with leaving him off the list because he's a work in progress. After all, how many people would have picked reagan in august 1982?
Jason is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 09:53 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Re: Favorite President

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
I'm sorta cool with leaving him off the list because he's a work in progress.
He's a piece of work, but you call this progress?!

Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 10:29 AM
  #19  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: Favorite President

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
I don't have one. Of those who served during my adulthood, I liked George HW Bush pretty well, although he really
increased the deficit, so I don't know about him after all.
He also saw the need for a tax increase, and the 1992 Budget Reconcilliation Act raised taxes. This was one of the reasons he was defeated in 1992. His action, along with the Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993, led to less deficit - which led to a balanced unified budget in 1998
classicman2 is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 10:31 AM
  #20  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: Favorite President

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Jefferson, the first president with balls.
Outside of the LA Purchase (and, granted it was very imporatant) what were his accomplishments.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 10:38 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Troy Stiffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Under an I-10 Overpass
Posts: 21,405
Re: Favorite President

Lincoln. He's one of the good ones. Well, I wasn't around to bitch about and pick apart every little thing he did. In the time, I'm sure everyone complained about him, too. Damn Lincoln. "Change" my arse.
Troy Stiffler is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 10:58 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,747
Re: Favorite President

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I believe the most 'important' president in our history was George Washington.
Also one of the earliest!
dork is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 11:02 AM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,747
Re: Favorite President

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
I just voted for the closet thing: W Bush.
Actually, I think you've always been fairly out about your feelings for him.
dork is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 11:15 AM
  #24  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Decadance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: El Paso, TX
Posts: 1,781
Re: Favorite President

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Outside of the LA Purchase (and, granted it was very imporatant) what were his accomplishments.
First president (to motivate Congress) to suspend the appellate jurisdiction of the Supreme Court, first president to actively make use of a new and burgeoning party system (revolutionized campaigns and the party system in Congress), repealed numerous taxes which were the cause of much civil unrest in the time, and first president to claim the right of executive privilege.

His rhetoric and written word were all over the US Constitution, not to mention the Declaration of Independence. His construction of both documents which included as foundational a incorporation of a Lockian social contract moved constitution government forward from the whimsical thoughts of various philosophers into actual practice which went to serve as an example still to this day has how to assure the rights and privileges of governments and the governed.
Decadance is offline  
Old 08-15-10, 11:25 AM
  #25  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 11,747
Re: Favorite President

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
First president (to motivate Congress) to suspend the appellate jurisdiction of the Supreme Court, first president to actively make use of a new and burgeoning party system (revolutionized campaigns and the party system in Congress), repealed numerous taxes which were the cause of much civil unrest in the time, and first president to claim the right of executive privilege.

His rhetoric and written word were all over the US Constitution, not to mention the Declaration of Independence. His construction of both documents which included as foundational a incorporation of a Lockian social contract moved constitution government forward from the whimsical thoughts of various philosophers into actual practice which went to serve as an example still to this day has how to assure the rights and privileges of governments and the governed.
Okay, but how was his energy policy?
dork is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.