Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Stark raving mad!

Old 08-02-10, 10:52 PM
X
Administrator

Stark raving mad!

Think your congressman sucks? Check out one of the illustrious congressmen around here...

People think he was sedated for this public meeting

He'll surely win this November.
Old 08-03-10, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Stark raving mad!

Thought this would be about Anthony Weiner. Even all the local news in Orlando last week were showing clips of his tirade.
Old 08-03-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

In the first video, the questioner starts with the proposition that universal healthcare is slavery. How is Stark supposed to answer any questions based on that premise?

How old is that second video? When that interviewer tried to goad him into saying something stupid, he was far too obliging.
Old 08-03-10, 03:10 PM

I clicked on this thinking it was a "Farscape" thread ...
Old 08-03-10, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I liked here statement about people like him. She was dead on. He and his ilk are such a waste of oxygen......
Old 08-03-10, 10:19 PM
Suspended

I have to agree with Nick. WTF does slavery have to with healthcare. She's reaching. What she needs to say is the Federal Government can't rely on a precedence that doesn't exist. You have to have precedence before you can refer to it legally as a justification for something. Not sure I'm being clear in this post what I mean. But the Feds seem to be creating a law of precedence that just doesn't exist prior to it being formulated.
Old 08-03-10, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If people can use my product/services, I am a slave to them? O...kay?

She would have a point if free health care was being provided to everyone without any payment to the doctor.

I'm not down with the new bill, but this is reaching. Big time.
Old 08-03-10, 11:38 PM
X
Administrator

I'm surprised nobody thinks Stark's contention that the federal government has the right to do pretty much whatever it wants is something to question. Maybe he's right then.
Old 08-04-10, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
If people can use my product/services, I am a slave to them? O...kay?

She would have a point if free health care was being provided to everyone without any payment to the doctor.

I'm not down with the new bill, but this is reaching. Big time.
I can see the point she is trying to make even if I donít agree with her. She is saying that if the government requires everyone to get healthcare the there must be someone who must provide that service. I think she is implying that doctors and hospitals may be forced against their will to give care they don't agree with.

It's a bit of a silly argument because unlike slaves a health care provider can simply quit. If they quit en mass then it will force the government to either lower the bar on new hires or pay more money to attract qualified employees.
Old 08-04-10, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by X View Post
I'm surprised nobody thinks Stark's contention that the federal government has the right to do pretty much whatever it wants is something to question. Maybe he's right then.
I agree, it is unfortunate that the focus seems to be on the lady who is obviously a bit of a kook. The more troubling thing is Stark's arrogance and his belief that the federal government can basically do as it wishes when it comes to controlling our lives.
Old 08-04-10, 09:27 PM
Suspended

Well...he is. Government does do whatever it wants.
Old 08-04-10, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At least he's honest. If the federal government is restricted from something, all that's needed is to make a new law that removes that restriction. And he's the lawmaker.

The only restrictions that he can't circumvent are those imposed by the courts.