Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Americans say they want higher income taxes

Old 07-28-10, 12:32 PM
  #1  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,858
Americans say they want higher income taxes

At least according to a new poll by Pew:

Which comes closer to your view about the tax cuts passed when George W. Bush was president?

30% - All of the tax cuts should remain in place
27% - Tax cuts for the wealthy should be repealed, while others stay in place
31% - All of the tax cuts should be repealed
That's 58% saying that at least some income taxes should be raised. Fascinating.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 12:36 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,614
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

I see it as 57% are saying their taxes should be raised.
cpgator is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 12:37 PM
  #3  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,858
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
i see it as 57% are saying their taxes should be raised.
27+31=58.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 12:40 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

It'd be interesting if there was a followup question asking people what they define wealthy as and if they even know what the tax cut under bush was for the different groups
Venusian is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 12:42 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
It'd be interesting if there was a followup question asking people what they define wealthy as and if they even know what the tax cut under bush was for the different groups
That would make your average poll participant's head explode.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 12:43 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

I saw another poll that showed a majority of the American people didn't even know they got a tax cut.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 12:49 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

If this poll is correct the course of action for the Democrats is obvious.

The Repubs (at least some of them), I don't think, would vote against a targetted tax cut that leaves out the income group that the Repubs love to give tax cuts to.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 12:50 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

Like people know better than politicians. "People" also want a balanced budget and less debt and less government. They also didn't want the big bailouts. Fortunately we have leaders who know what is best for us. But I'm betting they'll throw the people a bone and at least give them the higher taxes they desire.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 12:54 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,614
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
27+31=58.
Sorry - i meant to say - I see it as 57% are saying their taxes should NOT be raised.
cpgator is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 12:55 PM
  #10  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,858
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I saw another poll that showed a majority of the American people didn't even know they got a tax cut.
That's because for most people their tax cut was so small as to be almost insignificant.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 12:58 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

Yes, only 31% want their own taxes raised, and an additional 27% want just the rich to pay more taxes.

The latter is almost certainly where we will end up on this one.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 12:58 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MI
Posts: 25,054
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
If this poll is correct the course of action for the Democrats is obvious.

The Repubs (at least some of them), I don't think, would vote against a targetted tax cut that leaves out the income group that the Repubs love to give tax cuts to.
Who's that? "Everybody?"

I am amazed that the poor who got "no benefit" from the Bush tax cuts now can't afford the Obama tax increases that would result from expiration of the Bush tax cuts. Since they like government spending so much, I say tax them all, then see how they like it.
OldDude is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 01:00 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
That's because for most people their tax cut was so small as to be almost insignificant.
You sure? Here's a calculator (assuming it's still valid)
http://www.smartmoney.com/personal-f...rksheet-10177/

Saved me a decent amount.

Even if you only made $50,000 a year it would save 5% on taxes. Much more with dependents. It looks like it's $400 a child for lower income brackets. That seems significant to me.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 07-28-10 at 01:03 PM.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 01:01 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
The latter is almost certainly where we will end up on this one.
One can only hope.

The Repubs argument: Most of the tax cuts for the 'wealthy' actually went to small businesses. I don't know if that's true. I kinda doubt it.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 01:05 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
One can only hope.

The Repubs argument: Most of the tax cuts for the 'wealthy' actually went to small businesses. I don't know if that's true. I kinda doubt it.
I kinda doubt it too. I hope they don't cut small business benefits.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 01:09 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MI
Posts: 25,054
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
At least according to a new poll by Pew:



That's 58% saying that at least some income taxes should be raised. Fascinating.
There may be a half empty or half full argument. As the admininistration is defining it (AGI for MFJ >$250K, MFS >$200K) only 3% of filers are "rich"
so 30% don't want anybody's tax raised, and most of 27% only want OTHER PEOPLE'S taxes raised. I figure 56.2% are against higher taxes at least for themselves. Don't tax me, bro', I'm taxed enough already.
OldDude is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 01:10 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Posts: 13,846
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
That's because for most people their tax cut was so small as to be almost insignificant.
Except poor people w/ kids.
orangecrush is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 01:12 PM
  #18  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,858
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

What's most interesting (and the thing I conveniently left out of the OP) is that most people don't really care that much about the deficit anyway, when compared to things like unemployment. So with that in mind, why these results, other than some reflexive populist attitudes?
wendersfan is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 01:13 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
What's most interesting (and the thing I conveniently left out of the OP) is that most people don't really care that much about the deficit anyway, when compared to things like unemployment. So with that in mind, why these results, other than some reflexive populist attitudes?
It apparently doesn't take much to interest or fascinate you.

Lets be real - most people don't understand the deficit. Unemployment is a rather simple concept for an individual to understand. You either have a job or you don't.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 01:14 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Posts: 68,522
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

Our politicians don't really care that much about the deficit either, or they would try to do a little something about it.
classicman2 is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 01:32 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Dr Mabuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: 75 clicks above the Do Lung bridge...
Posts: 18,950
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

A majority of Americans, when polled, said Jewish people were behind 9-11 at one time too.

In a contest of wits, I'd bet on the sack of hammers over the American people.
Dr Mabuse is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 01:34 PM
  #22  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,858
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
It apparently doesn't take much to interest or fascinate you.

Lets be real - most people don't understand the deficit. Unemployment is a rather simple concept for an individual to understand. You either have a job or you don't.
Public opinion in general interests me, but this is interesting because you'd expect the responses to be the opposite of what they are.

Look at this table:

Code:
-------------------------------------------
                    |  
  Higher taxes      |      Lower taxes
                    |  
--------------------+----------------------
                    |  
Deficit important   |  Deficit unimportant
                    |  
-------------------------------------------
You'd thing that people would be aligned either vertically along each column ('higher taxes/deficit important' or 'lower taxes/deficit unimportant') if they were consistent, or if they were inconsistent 'carbon blobs' they would align on the diagonal 'lower taxes/deficit important'. But instead, they align in the seemingly least probable way, 'higher taxes/deficit unimportant'. Now, to me, that's interesting.
wendersfan is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 01:34 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Posts: 13,846
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
A majority of Americans, when polled, said Jewish people were behind 9-11 at one time too.

In a contest of wits, I'd bet on the sack of hammers over the American people.
That's a real shocker.
orangecrush is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 01:40 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,918
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Public opinion in general interests me, but this is interesting because you'd expect the responses to be the opposite of what they are.

Look at this table:

Code:
-------------------------------------------
                    |  
  Higher taxes      |      Lower taxes
                    |  
--------------------+----------------------
                    |  
Deficit important   |  Deficit unimportant
                    |  
-------------------------------------------
You'd thing that people would be aligned either vertically along each column ('higher taxes/deficit important' or 'lower taxes/deficit unimportant') if they were consistent, or if they were inconsistent 'carbon blobs' they would align on the diagonal 'lower taxes/deficit important'. But instead, they align in the seemingly least probable way, 'higher taxes/deficit unimportant'. Now, to me, that's interesting.

I don't expect rational thinking when it comes to carbon blobs. If one doesn't understand something (like the deficit), the less likely it is they will care about that something.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 07-28-10, 01:43 PM
  #25  
Moderator
Thread Starter
 
wendersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Nuova Repubblica di SalÚ
Posts: 32,858
Re: Americans say they want higher income taxes

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I don't expect rational thinking when it comes to carbon blobs. If one doesn't understand something (like the deficit), the less likely it is they will care about that something.
Setting rationality aside, I would at least expect that otherwise simple-minded people would believe what they are told to believe, i.e., taxes bad, deficit bad.

It's my view that voters are probably no less rational (or well-informed) than the people who post here.
wendersfan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.