Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

A tale of unionized labor to warm your heart

Old 07-17-10, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A tale of unionized labor to warm your heart

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/nyregion/25spit.html

When Passengers Spit, Bus Drivers Take Months Off

By MICHAEL M. GRYNBAUM

It could be the cutbacks to the city’s transportation system, or a general decline in urban civility. Perhaps people are just in a collective bad mood.

What else could explain why New Yorkers — notoriously hardened to the slings and arrows of everyday life here — are spitting on bus drivers?

Of all the assaults that prompted a bus operator to take paid leave in 2009, a third of them, 51 in total, “involved a spat upon,” according to statistics the Metropolitan Transportation Authority released on Monday.

No weapon was involved in these episodes. “Strictly spitting,” said Charles Seaton, a New York City Transit spokesman.

And the encounters, while distressing, appeared to take a surprisingly severe toll: the 51 drivers who went on paid leave after a spitting incident took, on average, 64 days off work — the equivalent of three months with pay. One driver, who was not identified by the authority, spent 191 days on paid leave.

Transit officials, facing a budget shortfall of $400 million, called the numbers troubling. “We have to see what we’re going to do with that,” said Joseph Smith, who oversees bus operations for New York City Transit.

Spitting falls under the category of assault in the drivers’ contract with the authority. And officials at Transport Workers Union Local 100, which represents city bus operators, said the extended absences were justified.

“Being spat upon — having a passenger spit in your face, spit in your mouth, spit in your eye — is a physically and psychologically traumatic experience,” said John Samuelsen, the union’s president. “If transit workers are assaulted, they are going to take off whatever amount of time they are going to take off to recuperate.”

Sensitivities have been heightened since 2008, when Edwin Thomas, a bus driver in Brooklyn, was stabbed to death by a passenger after an argument over the fare.

In response, the authority offered classes to drivers on defusing tense situations. Plastic partitions for drivers have been tested, but a design has not been set.

Yet spitting assaults have grown. More than 80 drivers reported being spat upon in the last year, the authority said.

Enforcement may be an issue. Almost no arrests have been reported for spitting on a driver, said Mr. Smith, who noted that a police officer “must witness the spat upon to give a summons.”

London and other cities have found a novel solution: collecting the DNA of the offending spitters.

click link for rest
There is also a more recent article in the WSJ about this but it is behind the paywall now.

From http://www.news.com.au/world/is-spit...1225871176439:

Passengers spat on 83 drivers last year, said New York City Transit spokesman Charles Seaton.

Thirty-two of those didn't take time off. While some drivers took one sick day after being spat on, one took 191 days, Seaton said. He said the contract allows workers to stay off the job for as long until a doctor says they are healthy enough to return.

"A bus driver who has been spat upon, particularly in the face, should take as long as they need to recover," said John Samuelsen, president of the MTA's largest union.
Old 07-17-10, 11:04 AM

Re: A tale of unionized labor to warm your heart

Refreshing!
Old 07-17-10, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 07-17-10, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That makes me spittin' mad!
Old 07-17-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

goddammit, when will civil servants learn that the operative word in their title is servant, not civil. They should accept the spittle of their betters with good graces and solve their problems with alcohol like good little proles are supposed to do.
Old 07-17-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does anyone know who actually employs NYC bus drivers? Do they work for the city, some specific company on a contract or are they "independent contractors" operating under a collective contract?
Old 07-17-10, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 07-17-10, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Does anyone know who actually employs NYC bus drivers? Do they work for the city, some specific company on a contract or are they "independent contractors" operating under a collective contract?

the MTA is a quasi-government corporation
Old 07-17-10, 01:17 PM

I suggest to the OP, that you take the title of your thread, and put it on a picket sign and walk down the streets of NYC. Its obviously a take on your distaste for unions and union workers. Many of wich are members here. Jerk.
Old 07-17-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, OP. Why don't you put your sorries in a sack. And then put the sack on a sign and walk around NYC. Jerk.
Old 07-17-10, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

This would encourage me to encourage others to spit on me. Nice way to get time off.
Old 07-17-10, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
This would encourage me to encourage others to spit on me. Nice way to get time off.
Yeah. You are either a big pussy or just a scumbag to take time off for getting spit on just because you can.
Old 07-17-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk God

And if the union were seriously concerned about this issue, they would bargain to have sneeze guards put around the drivers.
Old 07-17-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And if the union were seriously concerned about this issue, they would bargain to have sneeze guards put around the drivers.
If bus drivers being spat upon is a problem, then the obvious solution is to put up a plastic shield to protect the driver.
Of course, the cost of putting such shields (that would have to open and close, and should probably be bulletproof) on all their buses would fall upon the company.
And companies are famous for spending money on worker safety, just because it's the right thing to do. Right?

So, maybe, the drivers taking advantage (Yes, I bolded that.) of what is afforded them in their union contract will provide an impetus for the bus company to act.
Instead of spending money paying spat-upon drivers to sit at home, they might see the value of investing in "sneeze guards".
Old 07-17-10, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Union members taking advantage of tax payers and the system....frankly, I am SHOCKED and APPALLED by the implication. Everyone knows that the union wouldn't stand for such a blatant disregard of decorum.
Old 07-17-10, 02:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

I work in an ER where people get spit on constantly. I can probably arrange a walk-by spattering and try for a month off.
Old 07-17-10, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The old rule still applies I see... blind ideology in action.

The rich engage in corruption to the tune of billion or trillions? Good for them! We owe them everything and they deserve to engage in lying, thieving, bribing, corrupt activity all they want to because they're already rich. They cost NY billions a year and damn near sank the entire economy recently, robbed the taxpayers blind to get even richer, but we should thank them for it!

Some 'little person' takes a few weeks off? They're SCUM! We're going bankrupt because of these worthless, criminal mooches and their damned corrupt unions! It's an outrage!!! Won't somebody think of the children?!?!

Man... people so eagerly hand their minds, thoughts, and opinions over to the powerful.

"If we understand the mechanism and motives of the group mind, it is now possible to control and regiment the masses according to our will without them knowing it. " - Edward Bernays
Old 07-17-10, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That will probably just lead to way too many kickbacks for the sneeze-guard industry.
Old 07-17-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk God

While some drivers took one sick day after being spat on, one took 191 days, Seaton said. He said the contract allows workers to stay off the job for as long until a doctor says they are healthy enough to return.

And Dr. Mabuse defends this person from "the man." Blind ideology indeed. All we need is a quote from Thomas Jefferson to justify it.
Old 07-17-10, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post

And Dr. Mabuse defends this person from "the man." Blind ideology indeed. All we need is a quote from Thomas Jefferson to justify it.
Quote the part where I defended anything.

I was mocking posts like yours, and the others. Are you OUTRAGED at 191 whole days!?!? SCUM!!!

Old 07-17-10, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Man... people so eagerly hand their minds, thoughts, and opinions over to the powerful.
Yes because pointing out the excesses and stupidity of some of these "little people" automatically means that you're a brainwashed minion of the rich and powerful. That's brilliant logic you've got there!
Old 07-17-10, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tell you what eX, go find the last Otter thread about millions or billions in corruption for me will you?

When you find maybe one or two at most, and hundreds if not thousands of this type, maybe then you'll slowly be able to get my point.
Old 07-17-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Quote the part where I defended anything.

I was mocking posts like yours, and the others. Are you OUTRAGED at 191 whole days!?!? SCUM!!!

If you weren't defending the "little guy" I apologize. I guess you're scum like the rest of us then.

If you were defending Mr 191 days off, please explain why.
Old 07-17-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
If you weren't defending the "little guy" I apologize. I guess you're scum like the rest of us then.

If you were defending Mr 191 days off, please explain why.
Let's try this again...

Quote, using the Vbulletin quote function here, my post, or part of my post where I defended anything.

Is that clear enough now?
Old 07-17-10, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Why don't you just give your opinion instead of your little "blind" comments? Is it right for someone to take off 191 days off work for getting spit on?

I say no, it's ridiculous.

Hell, the umpire that Roberto Alomar spit on in 1997 went right back to work, and he was in a union.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.