DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   NASA Administrator Charles Bolden puts religion before science. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/576092-nasa-administrator-charles-bolden-puts-religion-before-science.html)

grundle 07-06-10 02:41 AM

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden puts religion before science.

This is, perhaps, the dumbest thing that anyone in Obama's administration has said so far.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...tions-muslims/

NASA Chief: Next Frontier Better Relations With Muslim World

July 05, 2010

NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said in a recent interview that his "foremost" mission as the head of America's space exploration agency is to improve relations with the Muslim world.

Though international diplomacy would seem well outside NASA's orbit, Bolden said in an interview with Al Jazeera that strengthening those ties was among the top tasks President Obama assigned him. He said better interaction with the Muslim world would ultimately advance space travel.

"When I became the NASA administrator -- or before I became the NASA administrator -- he charged me with three things. One was he wanted me to help re-inspire children to want to get into science and math, he wanted me to expand our international relationships, and third, and perhaps foremost, he wanted me to find a way to reach out to the Muslim world and engage much more with dominantly Muslim nations to help them feel good about their historic contribution to science ... and math and engineering," Bolden said in the interview.

The NASA administrator was in the Middle East last month marking the one-year anniversary since Obama delivered an address to Muslim nations in Cairo. Bolden spoke in June at the American University in Cairo -- in his interview with Al Jazeera, he described space travel as an international collaboration of which Muslim nations must be a part.

"It is a matter of trying to reach out and get the best of all worlds, if you will, and there is much to be gained by drawing in the contributions that are possible from the Muslim (nations)," he said. He held up the International Space Station as a model, praising the contributions there from the Russians and the Chinese.

However, Bolden denied the suggestion that he was on a diplomatic mission -- in a distinctly non-diplomatic role.

"Not at all. It's not a diplomatic anything," he said.

He said the United States is not going to travel beyond low-Earth orbit on its own and that no country is going to make it to Mars without international help.

Bolden has faced criticism this year for overseeing the cancellation of the agency's Constellation program, which was building new rockets and spaceships capable of returning astronauts to the moon. Stressing the importance of international cooperation in future missions, Bolden told Al Jazeera that the moon, Mars and asteroids are still planned destinations for NASA.

kvrdave 07-06-10 02:45 AM

Re: NASA Administrator Charles Bolden puts religion before science.

It was an interview with Al Jazeera, of course it was a diplomatic thing.

I think NASA is a joke, currently, but this doesn't make them more of one.

Hank Ringworm 07-06-10 02:59 AM

Christ. Don't we have the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the CIA to worry about improving relations with the Muslim world?

OldDude 07-06-10 07:11 AM

He said the United States is not going to travel beyond low-Earth orbit on its own and that no country is going to make it to Mars without international help.
If he really believed that, he would absolutely and unequivocably require NASA to use metric and only metric (in compliance with EO12770). The rest of the world is metric and not interested in learning to design or manufacture to inch-pound units. NASA's continued granting of exemptions to itself to use inch pounds or mixed systems precludes getting international partners, and brought down the Mars Climate Orbiter several years ago. Mixed units are even worse as the continual back-and-forth conversions lead to errors. The NASA Inspector General has condemned the continued exemptions.

There are many reasons NASA is a joke and political hypocrisy about the need to engage Muslim nations in the space effort is only a small one-liner joke.

General Zod 07-06-10 08:10 AM

Next we should really push to ensure the Polish people are our friends with their awesome recommendation of putting someone on the Sun (but only at night of course).

classicman2 07-06-10 08:37 AM

The obvious question, at least to me, is where does Obama come up with these people?

Red Dog 07-06-10 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by OldDude (Post 10249637)
If he really believed that, he would absolutely and unequivocably require NASA to use metric and only metric (in compliance with EO12770). The rest of the world is metric and not interested in learning to design or manufacture to inch-pound units. NASA's continued granting of exemptions to itself to use inch pounds or mixed systems precludes getting international partners, and brought down the Mars Climate Orbiter several years ago. Mixed units are even worse as the continual back-and-forth conversions lead to errors. The NASA Inspector General has condemned the continued exemptions.

The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogs head and that's the way I likes it.

OldDude 07-06-10 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog (Post 10249701)
The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogs head and that's the way I likes it.

You can convert that shit all you want (we'll even help with a few token conversions). But even domestic cars are designed and built in metric; foreign cars certainly are. The Big Three went metric in the 70's to save money, coordinate better with their European and other foreign operations and open up a world-wide supply base. NASA (and the US aerospace industry) claim it is impossible and ungodly expensive. Hey Boeing, how's that inch-pound 787 and numerous foreign suppliers working out? The Dreamliner seems to be turning into the Nightmareliner.

A case could be built for inch-pounds as a trade barrier (I don't think it would work. China designs everything in metric, slaps a couple of conversions on it and ships it here. They give you a little flimsy metric tool to assemble it), but you CAN'T talk inch-pounds and international cooperation in the same breath.

X 07-06-10 10:55 AM

Are they going to start making astronauts take off their shoes and go through security before getting on a spacecraft?

Ranger 07-06-10 12:42 PM

Former NASA chief Michael Griffin on this:
http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/bl...-97858404.html

Obama seems clueless about what to do with NASA.

Last week, WSJ said Obama was looking to reach out to other countries to work together on space exploration - didn't know he meant Muslim countries, too. Wouldn't want to leave anybody out!

OldDude 07-06-10 12:59 PM

"Perversion" seems a little strong, that's like goat fucking or something, but it does pretty "off-point" to their real purpose.

Sean O'Hara 07-06-10 01:06 PM

Iran had a space program in the late 1970s, but they abandoned it after discovering

If we want that to change, we must show them the truth about

OldDude 07-06-10 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 10250122)

Whoa, there's an Israeli Death Star in orbit?

grundle 07-06-10 10:59 PM

http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/bl...-97858404.html

Former NASA chief: Muslim outreach is ‘perversion’ of NASA’s mission

By Byron York

07/06/10

Michael Griffin, who headed NASA during the last four years of the Bush administration, says the space agency’s new goal to improve relations with the Islamic world and boost Muslim self-esteem is a “perversion” of NASA’s original mission to explore space. “NASA was chartered by the 1958 Space Act to develop the arts and sciences of flight in the atmosphere and in space and to go where those technologies will allow us to go,” Griffin said in an interview Tuesday. “That’s what NASA does for the country. It is a perversion of NASA’s purpose to conduct activities in order to make the Muslim world feel good about its contributions to science and mathematics.”

Griffin calls NASA’s new mission, outlined by space agency administrator Charles Bolden in an interview with the al-Jazeera news agency, “very bad policy for NASA.” As for NASA’s core mission of space exploration, Griffin points out that it has been reaffirmed many times over the years, most recently in 2005, when a Republican Congress passed authorizing legislation, and in 2008, when a Democratic Congress did the same thing.

“NASA has been for 50 years above politics, and for 50 years, NASA has been focused by one president or another on space exploration,” Griffin says. “Some presidents have championed it more strongly than others, and it is regrettable that none have championed it as strongly as President Kennedy. But no president has thought to take NASA’s focus off of anything but space exploration until now, and it is deeply regrettable.”

Griffin says NASA has always played an important, but indirect, role in diplomacy. “I have championed the use of NASA as a powerful diplomatic and inspirational tool for U.S. policy writ large,” Griffin says. “But the way NASA achieves those goals is by doing great things. NASA does those things that make people all over the world say, ‘Wow.’ If NASA is making people say, ‘Wow,’ then they want to be part of what we do. That’s NASA’s role — it’s to do those things that make other people want to join us.”

For all his unhappiness with the new policy, Griffin says blame for the situation does not belong with NASA administrator Charles Bolden, whom Griffin calls “one of the best human beings you will find.” “When I see reports in the media excoriating Charlie for this position, that blame is misplaced,” Griffin says. “It belongs with the administration. That is where policy for NASA is set. The NASA administrator does not set policy for NASA, the administrator carries it out.”

“This is not about personalities,” Griffin concludes. “It is about the intellectual content of the policy, which I find to be bankrupt.”

General Zod 07-06-10 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 10250122)

We're Jews out in space
We're zooming along
protecting the Hebrew race

We're Jews out in space
If trouble appears
we put it right back in its place

When goyim attack us
We give 'em a smack
we'll slap them right back in the face

We're Jews out in space
We're zooming along
protecting the Hebrew race...

Ky-Fi 07-07-10 07:55 AM

As I've given lots of examples of in the "Islam and the West" thread, Multiculturalism/Cultural Relativism is a religion (and a phony, irrational one at that), and it should no longer surprise people to see its zealots challenging and altering the fundamental outlook of organizations like NASA. And the blasphemers and heretics that challenge this new religion, instead of being called witches, are now referred to as "xenophobes", "Islamophobes", "right wing extremists", "hatemongers" and of course, the ever popular "racists".

starman9000 07-07-10 08:39 AM

:lol: Grundle doesn't even read his own threads.

VinVega 07-07-10 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 10249558)
It was an interview with Al Jazeera, of course it was a diplomatic thing.

I think NASA is a joke, currently, but this doesn't make them more of one.

kvrdave, the voice of reason? ;)

I agree with your assessment. :up:

Sean O'Hara 07-07-10 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi (Post 10251481)
As I've given lots of examples of in the "Islam and the West" thread, Multiculturalism/Cultural Relativism is a religion (and a phony, irrational one at that), and it should no longer surprise people to see its zealots challenging and altering the fundamental outlook of organizations like NASA. And the blasphemers and heretics that challenge this new religion, instead of being called witches, are now referred to as "xenophobes", "Islamophobes", "right wing extremists", "hatemongers" and of course, the ever popular "racists".

http://www.euphoriasmoothies.com/con...p_of_faith.jpg

That's quite some leap you're making there.

Ky-Fi 07-07-10 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara (Post 10251673)
http://www.euphoriasmoothies.com/con...p_of_faith.jpg

That's quite some leap you're making there.

Well, I am a right-wing extremist.

The foundation of Multiculturalism is really cultural relativism---once you start objectively quantifying things, whether they be things like human rights and individual liberties, or the hard sciences, it becomes apparent that all cultures are not inherently equal, and have not made equal contributions to civilization. So in order to promulgate Multiculturalism, you have to chip away at the very idea of objective standards. Hence, you have to foster the idea that the Muslim world has already made huge contributions towards Western science and human rights, and also that their contributions in the present and future are also extremely important.

The question of whether or not that belief is true, factual and objective becomes irrelevent--or at least subservient---to holy Multiculturalism.

spainlinx0 07-07-10 11:27 AM

Hard to take the former head of NASA seriously considering I hear more climate news from NASA than space news for a long time now.

Groucho 07-07-10 12:44 PM

To be fair, NASA has always been about international relations before anything else. The whole thing began as a pissing contest with the USSR.

OldDude 07-07-10 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi (Post 10251782)
Well, I am a right-wing extremist.

The foundation of Multiculturalism is really cultural relativism---once you start objectively quantifying things, whether they be things like human rights and individual liberties, or the hard sciences, it becomes apparent that all cultures are not inherently equal, and have not made equal contributions to civilization. So in order to promulgate Multiculturalism, you have to chip away at the very idea of objective standards. Hence, you have to foster the idea that the Muslim world has already made huge contributions towards Western science and human rights, and also that their contributions in the present and future are also extremely important.

The question of whether or not that belief is true, factual and objective becomes irrelevent--or at least subservient---to holy Multiculturalism.

Well, there is that whole Arabic numeral thing, and decimals. Roman numerals are just a bitch for math. NASA would love orbit calculations in Roman numerals.

Ky-Fi 07-07-10 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by OldDude (Post 10251944)
Well, there is that whole Arabic numeral thing, and decimals.

Hindus might dispute that "Arabic numeral" thing. -wink-

But anyways, my point is not to say this specific culture is better than that one or vice versa. I'm just saying that starting out with the idea that all cultures are of equal worth, and then fudging the facts to buttress this notion--that's a disastrous approach that is going to have the effect of tearing down and belittling REAL accomplishments, be they in the realm of human rights or hard science.

movielib 07-07-10 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 (Post 10251786)
Hard to take the former head of NASA seriously considering I hear more climate news from NASA than space news for a long time now.

Yes, but at least Griffin questioned CAGW.