Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Christopher Hitchens undergoing treatment for esophagus cancer. [update: Dead]

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 06-30-10, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Posted this afternoon:

I have been advised by my physician that I must undergo a course of chemotherapy on my esophagus. This advice seems persuasive to me. I regret having had to cancel so many engagements at such short notice.
http://www.vanityfair.com/online/dai...-hitchens.html

Esophagus cancer is very serious as far as cancer goes:

Because esophageal cancer usually is not diagnosed until the disease has spread, the death rate is high. Fewer than 5% of people survive more than 5 years. Many die within a year of noticing the first symptoms. Because nearly all cases of esophageal cancer are fatal, the doctor’s main objective is to control symptoms, especially pain and the inability to swallow, which can be very frightening to the person and loved ones (see Death and Dying: Difficulty Swallowing).
http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec09/ch131/ch131c.html
Old 06-30-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

re: Christopher Hitchens undergoing treatment for esophagus cancer. [update: Dead]

Wow, sad news. However, I have to imagine someone of Hitchens' stature will have access to the best treatment available, so hopefully his chances are better than the bleak picture painted in the OP.
Old 06-30-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Christopher Hitchens undergoing treatment for esophagus cancer. [update: Dead]

Bad news. Esophageal cancer is pretty far down the list . . .

Last edited by Nick Danger; 06-30-10 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-30-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope this doesn't hamper his ability to spew bile.
Old 06-30-10, 07:49 PM
X
Administrator

I wonder if he's going into a Catholic hospital.
Old 06-30-10, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk God

I have a friend who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

The oncologist told him the survival rate had significantly improved, and that it was now at 4-5% for 5 years. My friend said that wasn't very good odds, and the oncologist responded that just a couple of years ago it was virtually zero.
Old 06-30-10, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hard to believe after all those years of clean living.

Here's hoping Hitch beats the odds.
Old 07-01-10, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No matter what you think of the man, he is one the best prose stylists writing today. This is terrible news.
Old 07-01-10, 01:15 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Sad news.
Old 07-01-10, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Terrible news.
Old 07-02-10, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk God

No idea who this is, but I wish him the best.
Old 07-02-10, 02:55 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
...he is one the best prose stylists writing today.
Oh come on.

But this is indeed sad news.
Old 07-02-10, 08:53 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Old 07-03-10, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really like the guy. Hope he beats this.
Old 07-03-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
He comes up with brilliant insights like 'Mother Theresa was a WHORE!' and sells them to people who crave that sort of thing in books.

Much like an Ann Coulter or etc, only for a different target audience.
Old 07-03-10, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk God

His brother, much different political philosophy, is just as intelligent as Christopher is.

Momma didn't raise no idiots in that family - did she?
Old 07-03-10, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

His voice makes a sound like he has two brass balls. He also reminds me a bit of the mad inspector Dreyfus in the Pink Panther movies.
Old 07-04-10, 02:49 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
He comes up with brilliant insights like 'Mother Theresa was a WHORE!' and sells them to people who crave that sort of thing in books.

Much like an Ann Coulter or etc, only for a different target audience.
Well-put.

But he's such a good writer!
Old 07-12-10, 09:53 PM
Banned

Really enjoyed his debates with Douglas Wilson in the "Collision" DVD.

I wonder what Wilson thinks of this latest development. The two men seemed to develop a genuine respect and even affection for each other despite their totally opposite worldviews. Both men admitted that the other offered arguments that were well-thought-out and that challenged them & gave them pause.
Old 12-16-11, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Christopher Hitchens undergoing treatment for esophagus cancer. [update: Dead]

Hitch died earlier today (Thursday) from pneumonia, a complication of his esophageal cancer. I'm not sure it's appropriate to say "Rest in Peace" given his views on religion, so instead I will say that I found Hitch to be an interesting and thought-provoking commentator, and I'll miss his contributions to political discussion.
Old 12-16-11, 02:14 AM
X
Administrator

Re: Christopher Hitchens undergoing treatment for esophagus cancer. [update: Dead]

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Hitch died earlier today (Thursday) from pneumonia, a complication of his esophageal cancer. I'm not sure it's appropriate to say "Rest in Peace" given his views on religion, so instead I will say that I found Hitch to be an interesting and thought-provoking commentator, and I'll miss his contributions to political discussion.
I agree with those sentiments.

He was interesting and thought-provoking. That's more than you can say about most public figures, even if you don't agree with them all that often.

He probably won't be meeting up with Mother Teresa. Either she's one place (or not), or he's another (or not).
Old 12-16-11, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I can't believe Christopher Hitchens has died. When one of his heroes died I'm sure he was never at a at a loss for words. I'm not nearly the man he was... I just feel gutted.
Old 12-16-11, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A great thinker and a great writer. Farewell.
Old 12-16-11, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X View Post
He probably won't be meeting up with Mother Teresa. Either she's one place (or not), or he's another (or not).
Though they would both disagree with me (for entirely different reasons), I like to believe there's a heaven big enough for both of them.
Old 12-16-11, 08:48 AM

From the Grauniad:

Christopher Hitchens: tributes and reactions

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.