Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

New York wants to make it illegal to rent out a room in your house for less than 1 mo

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

New York wants to make it illegal to rent out a room in your house for less than 1 mo

Old 06-29-10, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thinking about making a couple extra bucks on the side by subletting a room in your house to someone on a short term basis? New York's government wants to be able to tell you to go fuck yourself.

http://current.newsweek.com/budgettr...a_crackdo.html
Old 06-29-10, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: New York wants to make it illegal to rent out a room in your house for less than

What's Nanny Bloomberg's reasoning behind this?
Old 06-29-10, 05:04 PM

Re: New York wants to make it illegal to rent out a room in your house for less than

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Payola from hotel lobbyists.

Old 06-29-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Probably.

I suppose lost hotel taxes is another, but I have to wonder how many people would still make the trip to NYC if they had to pay high hotel prices+tax. So whatever hotel taxes they gain may be more than offset by the sales taxes lost between people deciding not to visit at all or those (who do visit) that end up spending less money out and about than they otherwise would.
Old 06-29-10, 05:20 PM
Suspended

Portland, OR is the same way. In fact, I think it's two months or less.
Old 06-29-10, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Does anyone actually follow that law? I wouldn't.
Old 06-29-10, 06:08 PM

how would they enforce it?
Old 06-29-10, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by koops View Post
Not sure, but if convicted, you will be required to surrender the space to an illegal alien.
Old 06-29-10, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Declare your apartment "blighted" and seize it under eminent domain.

Edit: fixed spelling

Last edited by jfoobar; 06-29-10 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06-29-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm sure they could set up stings if there are craigslist and other ads. They probably would extract some nice fines. Residents of the building could rat on others if they notice people staying for short periods.
Old 06-29-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Declare your apartment "blighted" and seize it under imminent domain.
Ohh, that'll be here before you know it!
Old 06-29-10, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm sure they could set up stings if there are craigslist and other ads. They probably would extract some nice fines. Residents of the building could rat on others if they notice people staying for short periods.
Suppose I use to rent out a room for $800 a month. Now I simply make it $400 per month for 2 months, don't I? Or if I were getting $400 per week, don't I simply make my lease for 31 days? Seems stupid.
Old 06-29-10, 09:42 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Not sure, but if convicted, you will be required to surrender the space to an illegal alien.
Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Declare your apartment "blighted" and seize it under imminent domain.
Those are punishments? Sounds like a regular day in New York to me.
Old 06-29-10, 09:50 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Does anyone actually follow that law? I wouldn't.
Pretty much what I said to a friend of mine who was in real estate, but this person had those on CL who would threaten to inform the city of portland about the 1-month or less rental arrangements. And the city is more than welcome to get such complaints.
Old 06-29-10, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Payola from hotel lobbyists.

I saw this on the captivate news in the elevator yesterday and this was my first thought. It just seems like a complete waste of time for lawmakers.
Old 06-30-10, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As a polyamorous man engaged in a series of short term relationships, I find such an intrusion into my private life highly objectionable.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.
Old 07-02-10, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

it's illegal to sit on a milk carton here, no one cares. i'd say at least half of all homeowners rent out their basements illegally to help pay their mortgages. no one does anything about it
Old 07-02-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This is Albany, not the city. Still stupid.
Old 07-02-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
This is Albany, not the city. Still stupid.
Sorry. When I hear NY, except for the month they have horse racing at Saratoga, I always think NYC. And that goes double when I see stories on infringement of rights.

Last edited by Red Dog; 07-02-10 at 10:51 AM.
Old 07-02-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry. When I hear NY, except for the month they have horse racing at Saratoga, I always think NYC. And that goes double when I see stories on infringement of rights.
Albany is its own set of problems. I think we have the most dysfunctional state legislature in the country.
Old 07-02-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Albany is its own set of problems. I think we have the most dysfunctional state legislature in the country.
Nah. There's always California.
Old 07-02-10, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nah. There's always California.
I don't know if the legislature in California is all that inept. I thought most of the structural problems with their budget process were due to the initiative process.
Old 07-02-10, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

there is no NY legislature. it's two people that tell everyone else how to vote