Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

What the hell, Detroit? (Re: Illiterate masturbating school board president)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 06-21-10, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Can somebody from Detroit please fill me in on how this guy has a job, much less the job he has now?

http://gatewaypundit.firstthings.com...uperintendent/

Illiterate Detroit School Board President Also Accused of Regularly Masturbating In Front of Superintendent
Posted by Jim Hoft on Saturday, June 19, 2010, 7:09 AM

(Detroit News)

The functionally illiterate Detroit school board president submitted a letter of resignation earlier this week after it was reported that he was regularly masturbating in front of the superintendent.

Otis Mathis, school board president for Detroit Public Schools, is attempting to rescind his resignation after being accused by the district superintendent of fondling himself in front of her.

He abruptly submitted a letter of resignation Thursday, citing health problems. Today, he indicated to school officials he has no intention of quitting, has retracted his resignation and attended a court hearing this afternoon about the district.

Board Vice President Anthony Adams today released a two-page letter from Superintendent Teresa Gueyser accusing Mathis of touching himself during a recent meeting. She called it his “usual habit” during one-on-one meetings. She said she tries to ignore it.
In reference to the illiteracy ( http://theblogprof.blogspot.com/2010...m-detroit.html ):

Another symptom of the problem: Detroit school board President Otis Mathis can't write (seriously!)

It's bad enough that Detroit Public Schools (DPS) graduates a pathetic 1 in 4 students, the worst in the nation. That obscene graduation rate is only that high because DPS commits 'social promotion' - the practice of passing students onto the next grade who are not ready, a practice that DPS emergency financial manager Robert Bobb has just ended (Detroit Public Schools Finally Ends "Social Promotion" - Passing Students That Can't Read Their Diplomas). That same Robert Bobb has been fighting with the teachers union and with the Detroit school board for academic control of the district. The school board is led by Otis Mathis, who wrote a mass email last August:

Do DPS control the Foundation or outside group? If an outside group control the foundation, then what is DPS Board row with selection of is director? Our we mixing DPS and None DPS row's, and who is the watch dog?

And here's the beginning of an email to supporters a few days ago that started with this:

If you saw Sunday's Free Press that shown Robert Bobb the emergency financial manager for Detroit Public Schools, move Mark Twain to Boynton which have three times the number seats then students and was one of the reason's he gave for closing school to many empty seats.

Apparently being a Detroit school board president and having to compose written communications is so easy even a caveman can do it. The above examples are emails in raw, unedited form as per the Detroit News. Laura Berman, a far left writer for the News has this:

The rest of the e-mail, and others that Mathis has written, demonstrate what one of his school board colleagues describes, carefully, as "his communication issues." But if these deficits have limited Mathis, as he admits they have, they have not stopped him from graduating from high school and college. In January, his peers elected him president by a 10-1 vote over Tyrone Winfrey, a University of Michigan academic officer.

"I'm a horrible writer. I know that," says Mathis, 56, a lifelong resident of southwest Detroit. His difficulties with language were spotted as early as fourth grade, when he was placed in special education classes. His college degree was held up for more than a decade because he repeatedly failed an English proficiency exam then required for graduation at Wayne State University.

So apparently Mathis himself went through DPS, which explains a lot. Now how can the board claim that they are raising standards for education when their own president can't write English? Isn't this like hiring a blind guy to teach sharp shooting? Mathis is the same guy who said this: Question to Detroit School Board President: "What if every kid failed - should someone else step in?" Ans: "NO!". Detroit's education system is so bad, 33% of working-age adults, and 44% of all adults, read below the 6th grade level. Not good enough to graduate from elementary school. 60% of students entering community colleges need to take remedial courses. And instead of demolishing the failed DPS experiment that is only creating or saving government dependency, Granholm wants to build adult education centers, RUN BY DPS, to pick up the slack. So the very people responsible for the educational failure will be in charge of bringing adults up to speed (MI to Build Center For Adults Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too). Good grief.
AND http://detnews.com/article/20100304/...#ixzz0hD0AlCXJ :

Does DPS leader's writing send wrong message?

The president of the Detroit school board, Otis Mathis, is waging a legal battle to steer the academic future of 90,000 children, in the nation's lowest-achieving big city district.

He also acknowledges he has difficulty composing a coherent English sentence. Here's a sample from an e-mail he sent to friends and supporters on Sunday night, uncorrected for errors of spelling, grammar, punctuation and usage. It begins:

If you saw Sunday's Free Press that shown Robert Bobb the emergency financial manager for Detroit Public Schools, move Mark Twain to Boynton which have three times the number seats then students and was one of the reason's he gave for closing school to many empty seats.

The rest of the e-mail, and others that Mathis has written, demonstrate what one of his school board colleagues describes, carefully, as "his communication issues." But if these deficits have limited Mathis, as he admits they have, they have not stopped him from graduating from high school and college. In January, his peers elected him president by a 10-1 vote over Tyrone Winfrey, a University of Michigan academic officer.

"I'm a horrible writer. I know that," says Mathis, 56, a lifelong resident of southwest Detroit. His difficulties with language were spotted as early as fourth grade, when he was placed in special education classes. His college degree was held up for more than a decade because he repeatedly failed an English proficiency exam then required for graduation at Wayne State University.

In another city, these revelations might be grounds for disqualification. But Mathis is liked and defended by many of his peers, who cite his collegiality, lack of defensiveness and leadership as more important than his writing skills. Even Winfrey, his defeated rival for the presidency, declined to criticize his qualifications.

But the story of Mathis speaks directly to Detroit's educational conundrum, as officials try to raise standards and the proficiency of its students.

Is Mathis a success story? A man who beat the odds to win political success and career opportunities on the strength of his personality and judgment? Or is he an example of the system's worst failings -- a disinterested student who always found ways to graduate, even when he didn't meet the requirements -- likely to perpetuate lax academic standards if the board wins its court battle with Bobb over control?

"It's kind of scary to even talk about," says Patrick Martin, 49, a Detroit contractor whose 12-year-old son is a student at Noble Middle School.

"If this is the leader, what does it say about the followers? It explains a lot about why there's so much confusion and infighting with the board and Robert Bobb."

Here's another mass e-mail from Mathis, from Aug. 11, 2009:

Do DPS control the Foundation or outside group? If an outside group control the foundation, then what is DPS Board row with selection of is director? Our we mixing DPS and None DPS row's, and who is the watch dog?

"I told him just last week that he should have his e-mails read by somebody before he sends them out," said fellow school board member LaMar Lemmons Jr., who praises Mathis as a leader he can trust.

"I said, 'If somebody gets ahold of this, it will become an issue that you can't read or write. It will go around the world.' "

Can Mathis read?

"Yes, I can read. I'm capable of reading a lot of information and regurgitation," says Mathis, who told me he sometimes needs to read documents two or three times to fully comprehend their contents but then masters -- and memorizes -- them.

Mathis is an engaging man. When I asked him about the grammatical deficiencies in his e-mails, he didn't waffle or grandstand, instead honestly answering questions about his difficulties in school.

High school saw him bouncing back and forth between schools. "I was kicked out and kicked in and kicked out," he says with a chuckle. He credits a high school English teacher with encouraging him to graduate, getting him to attend school "once a week instead of every two weeks" by giving him an audio version of Alex Haley's "Roots," one vinyl record at a time.

He graduated from Southwestern High School in 1973 with what he says was a 1.8 grade-point average but was previously reported as a .98 average. After serving in the Navy, Wayne State placed him in a special program to help academically unqualified students move forward, on the G.I. Bill.

He stayed at Wayne for 15 years, as a student and a counselor, becoming a virtual "prisoner of Wayne," as he jokes, unable to graduate.

Mathis and another student unsuccessfully challenged the use of an English proficiency test as a requirement for graduation. In 1992, when the case went to trial, the lawsuit gained national attention. Mathis said then his failure to pass the test "made me feel stupid." The requirement was eventually dropped in 2007, and Mathis applied to get his degree the next year, after his election.

Mathis, who can be a persuasive public speaker, retired from Wayne in 1995. He's served as a substitute teacher in Detroit schools, run a nonprofit and served on the Wayne County Commission.

In his career, Mathis has compensated for his rudimentary writing skills by seeking help from others and working on his listening and speech skills. "We picked him (to be president) because we thought he has the intelligence for it and the tolerance for disruptive behavior," says Reverend David Murray. "He has that type of calm."

Is it absurd for a man who cannot write a simple English sentence to serve as the board president? Or to lead the elected board of a district that ranks at the nation's bottom for literacy?

The questions are more likely to elicit complex answers than criticism of Mathis.

"I know he's a terrible writer. Oh wow, I've seen his e-mails," says Ida Byrd-Hill, a parent and activist who runs a nonprofit and is a member of Mensa, the high-IQ group.

"His job, though, is to represent the community. His lack of writing skills is prevalent in the community. If anybody does, he understands the struggles of what it's like to go through an institution and not be properly prepared."

Mathis and some of his supporters say his story is about someone who manages his limitations, just as others manage physical disabilities.

"Instead of telling them that they can't write and won't be anything, I show that cannot stop you," Mathis says. "If Detroit Public Schools can allow kids to dream, with whatever weakness they have, that's something. ...It's not about what you don't have. It's what you cando."

Because of his struggles and perseverance, Mathis describes himself as a role model.

But is he?
Old 06-21-10, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: What the hell, Detroit? (Re: Illiterate masturbating school board president)

Old 06-21-10, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
Re: What the hell, Detroit? (Re: Illiterate masturbating school board president)

It sounds like he was scratching/adjusting himself, not masturbating.
Old 06-21-10, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
Are you trying to say this is normal? Like drinking refreshing water from another man's mouth?????
Old 06-21-10, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Deer Miz Soopatendint,

I wood to apollogize for masterbatating in offis of yous. I woonot do it agen.

Pleez cept me pology.

Yerz trooly,

Otis
Old 06-21-10, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by DirkUSA View Post
Are you trying to say this is normal? Like drinking refreshing water from another man's mouth?????
Every dude scratches their balls at least 3 times a day. Some are better at knowing when to not do it.
Old 06-21-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

With social promotion, a functional illiterate can grow up to be the president of a completely broken school board presiding over a completely broken school system that "graduates" multiple generations of functional illiterates. 'Nuff said.
Old 06-21-10, 02:35 PM

Every dude scratches their balls at least 3 times a day. Some are better at knowing when to not do it.
I guess we have to find out when the line between scratching and jerking is crossed!!! At 10 times a day? At 60 times a minute? We need a poll!!!!!!
Old 06-23-10, 12:59 PM

Sounds about right for Detroit. Thank God I don't live there.
Old 06-23-10, 03:01 PM

Ahh, the split infinitive...

...not to do it.
Old 06-25-10, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by phraseturner View Post
Ahh, the split infinitive...

...not to do it.
If it's good enough for Captain Kirk, it's good enough for me.
Old 06-25-10, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
If it's good enough for Captain Kirk, it's good enough for me.
Now there's a man who knew when to scratch his balls.
Old 06-25-10, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by jdodd View Post
Now there's a man who knew when to scratch his balls.
I thought that was Yeoman Rand's job?
Old 06-25-10, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 10-28-15, 08:00 PM
Political Exile

Such incredibly poor performance, despite spending such a large amount of money per student.

What a sad shame:

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/...not-proficient

Detroit Public Schools: 93% Not Proficient in Reading; 96% Not Proficient in Math

October 28, 2015

In the Detroit public school district, 96 percent of eighth graders are not proficient in mathematics and 93 percent are not proficient in reading.

That is according to the results of the 2015 National Assessment of Educational Progress tests published by the Department of Education’s National Center for Educational Statistics.

Only 4 percent of Detroit public school eighth graders are proficient or better in math and only 7 percent in reading. This is despite the fact that in the 2011-2012 school year—the latest for which the Department of Education has reported the financial data—the Detroit public schools had “total expenditures” of $18,361 per student and “current expenditures” of $13,330 per student.

According to data published by the Detroit Public Schools, the school district’s operating expenses in the fiscal year that ended on June 30, 2014 amounted to approximately $14,743 per student.

Nationwide, only 33 percent of public-school eighth graders scored proficient or better in reading in 2015 and only 32 percent scored proficient or better in mathematics.

In 2015, 21 large urban school districts participated in the NAEP tests in reading and mathematics as part of what the Department of Education calls its Trial Urban District Assessment (TUDA). Among these 21 districts, the Detroit Public Schools had the smallest percentages of eighth graders scoring proficient or better in reading and math.

In reading, the Cleveland public schools were next to last among the large urban school districts with only 11 percent scoring proficient or better. Baltimore and Fresno were tied for third worst with only 13 percent scoring proficient or better; and Philadelphia ranked fifth worst with only 16 percent scoring proficient or better.

The Cleveland public schools also ranked next to last in math, with only 9 percent of eight graders scoring proficient or better. Baltimore and Fresno were also tied for third worst in math, with only 12 percent scoring proficient or better; and Los Angeles ranked fifth worst with 15 percent scoring proficient or better in math.

The Department of Education has published fiscal information on the Detroit public schools for the 2011-2012 school year. That year, the Detroit Public Schools had total expenditures of $1,231,375,000, equaling $18,361 per student. That included $13,330 per student for current expenditures, $3,182 for capital outlays, and $1,737 for interest on the school system’s debt.

$271,358,000 of the school district's funding for the 2011-2012 school year came from the federal government.

The $13,330 for “current expenditures” included $515,473,000 for “instructional expenditures,” $133,282,000 for “student and staff support,” $97,800,000 for “administration,” and $147,411,000 for “operations, food service” and other expenses.

The Detroit Public Schools’ Comprehensive Annual Financial Report for the fiscal year that ended on June 30, 2014 says the school district served “an estimated 48,905 students” during that fiscal year. “Of the District’s total operating expenditures of approximately $721 million, 48 percent or approximately $346 million, was spent on instruction for the year ended on June 30, 2014,” said the report.

The approximately $721 million in total operating expenditures the school district reported for fiscal 2014 equaled approximately $14,743 for each of the district’s 48,905 students.

Old 10-28-15, 08:09 PM
Banned by request

A photo of Mathis' resignation letter:

Old 10-28-15, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't realize that this thread is a 5-year bump.
Old 10-29-15, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Conformity trumps reality.
Old 10-29-15, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Masturbation: "I didn't go blind but I became illiterate."
Old 10-29-15, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I find it strange you google his name and nothing comes up except from 2010.
Old 10-29-15, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Such incredibly poor performance, despite spending such a large amount of money per student.

What a sad shame:
Explains oh so much about America.
Old 10-29-15, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe he has a micropenis that goes inside and becomes uncomfortable when sitting. Like my friend.
Old 10-29-15, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

At this point, Detroit's basically Thunderdome - they have WAY bigger issues than an illiterate, masturbating school board president.
Old 10-29-15, 07:44 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I didn't realize that this thread is a 5-year bump.
Yes you did.