Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

1 man 6 votes

Old 06-19-10, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk God

1 man 6 votes

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100615/...ights_election

PORT CHESTER, N.Y. Arthur Furano voted early five days before Election Day. And he voted often, flipping the lever six times for his favorite candidate. Furano cast multiple votes on the instructions of a federal judge and the U.S. Department of Justice as part of a new election system crafted to help boost Hispanic representation.

Voters in Port Chester, 25 miles northeast of New York City, are electing village trustees for the first time since the federal government alleged in 2006 that the existing election system was unfair. The election ends Tuesday and results are expected late Tuesday.

Although the village of about 30,000 residents is nearly half Hispanic, no Latino had ever been elected to any of the six trustee seats, which until now were chosen in a conventional at-large election. Most voters were white, and white candidates always won.

Federal Judge Stephen Robinson said that violated the Voting Rights Act, and he approved a remedy suggested by village officials: a system called cumulative voting, in which residents get six votes each to apportion as they wish among the candidates. He rejected a government proposal to break the village into six districts, including one that took in heavily Hispanic areas.

Furano and his wife, Gloria Furano, voted Thursday.

"That was very strange," Arthur Furano, 80, said after voting. "I'm not sure I liked it. All my life, I've heard, `one man, one vote.'"

It's the first time any municipality in New York has used cumulative voting, said Amy Ngai, a director at FairVote, a nonprofit election research and reform group that has been hired to consult. The system is used to elect the school board in Amarillo, Texas, the county commission in Chilton County, Ala., and the City Council in Peoria, Ill.

The judge also ordered Port Chester to implement in-person early voting, allowing residents to show up on any of five days to cast ballots. That, too, is a first in New York, Ngai said.

Village clerk Joan Mancuso said Monday that 604 residents voted early.

Gloria Furano gave one vote each to six candidates. Aaron Conetta gave two votes each to three candidates.

Frances Nurena talked to the inspectors about the new system, grabbed some educational material and went home to study. After all, it was only Thursday. She could vote on Friday, Saturday or Tuesday.

"I understand the voting," she said. "But since I have time, I'm going to learn more about the candidates."

On Tuesday, Candida Sandoval voted at the Don Bosco Center, where a soup kitchen and day-laborer hiring center added to the activity, and where federal observers watched the voting from a table in the corner.

"I hope that if Hispanics get in, they do something for all the Hispanic people," Sandoval said in Spanish. "I don't know, but I hope so."

FairVote said cumulative voting allows a political minority to gain representation if it organizes and focuses its voting strength on specific candidates. Two of the 13 Port Chester trustee candidates one Democrat and one Republican are Hispanic. A third Hispanic is running a write-in campaign after being taken off the ballot on a technicality.

Campaigning was generally low key, and the election itself was less of an issue than housing density and taxes.

Hispanic candidates Fabiola Montoya and Luis Marino emphasized their volunteer work and said they would represent all residents if elected.

Gregg Gregory gave all his votes to one candidate, then said: "I think this is terrific. It's good for Port Chester. It opens it up to a lot more people, not just Hispanics but independents, too."

Vote coordinator Martha Lopez said that if turnout is higher than in recent years, when it hovered around 25 percent, the election would be a success regardless of whether a Hispanic was elected.

"I think we'll make it," she said. "I'm happy to report the people seem very interested."

But Randolph McLaughlin, who represented a plaintiff in the lawsuit, said the goal was not merely to encourage more Hispanics to vote but "to create a system whereby the Hispanic community would be able to nominate and elect a candidate of their choice."

That could be a non-Hispanic, he acknowledged, and until exit polling is done, "it won't be known for sure whether the winners were Hispanic-preferred."

The village held 12 forums six each in English and Spanish to let voters know about the new system and to practice voting. The bilingual ballot lists each candidate across the top row some of them twice if they have two party lines and then the same candidates are listed five more times. In all, there are 114 levers; voters can flip any six.

Besides the forums, bright yellow T-shirts, tote bags and lawn signs declared "Your voice, your vote, your village," part of the educational materials also mandated in the government agreement. Announcements were made on cable TV in each language.

All such materials the ballot, the brochures, the TV spots, the reminders sent home in schoolkids' backpacks had to be approved in advance, in English and Spanish versions, by the Department of Justice.

Conetta said the voter education effort was so thorough he found voting easier than usual.

"It was very different but actually quite simple," he said. "No problem."
How bizarre. First, I don't see how this helps a minority. If you use to use your vote for 1 candidate, wouldn't you tend to use all 6 for a candidate? And should something like this even be done because hispanics aren't getting elected? It seems clear that one of the problems is that they also aren't voting.

This is just weird.
Old 06-19-10, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: 1 man 6 votes

Affirmative action now affects political candidates. Interesting.
Old 06-19-10, 02:20 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Jesus Christ. Pronounce "Jesus" whichever way you'd like.
Old 06-19-10, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100615/...ights_election

How bizarre. First, I don't see how this helps a minority. If you use to use your vote for 1 candidate, wouldn't you tend to use all 6 for a candidate? And should something like this even be done because hispanics aren't getting elected? It seems clear that one of the problems is that they also aren't voting.

This is just weird.
Normally, if there are 6 openings, you vote for 6 different candidates you support, 1 vote for each. But this says you can put all six of your votes on one candidate if you want. Or all the Hispanics in town could vote three votes each on the two Hispanic candidate and maybe elect 2.
Old 06-19-10, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For write-in candidates,

Last Name, First Name {sd}{sd}{sd}{sd}{sd}{sd}
Old 06-19-10, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe we should require a race-switch every 8 years and no single race any 2 of three cycles. We could have a white president again in 2020, though I'm pretty sure the asian (whoever it is) will be re-elected for a 2nd term.

Last edited by Th0r S1mpson; 06-19-10 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-19-10, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk God

The most suprising aspect of this story is seeing the VRA applied to a state north of North Carolina.
Old 06-19-10, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
How bizarre. First, I don't see how this helps a minority. If you use to use your vote for 1 candidate, wouldn't you tend to use all 6 for a candidate?
If you really like that candidate. Or you might give three to the candidate you like best, two to the second, and one to the third.

And should something like this even be done because hispanics aren't getting elected? It seems clear that one of the problems is that they also aren't voting.

This is just weird.
The reason for implementing it is spurious, but I'm a fan of non-traditional voting methods. Bring on the Condorcet method and Borda counts!
Old 06-19-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If most voters are white, and the white voters cast all six votes for white candidate(s), don't see what this accomplishes.
Old 06-21-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Hank Ringworm View Post
Jesus Christ. Pronounce "Jesus" whichever way you'd like.
Hey, Zeus!
Old 06-21-10, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, can zoophiles vote 6 times for the guy who screwed the mule too?
Old 06-21-10, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Almost half of the population is Hispanic, but most of the people that choose to vote are white, so it's unfair.

"The village said Friday that 3,278 residents voted, about 31 percent of those registered, a slightly higher turnout than usual. Hispanic turnout had not been analyzed, but Richie said about a quarter of all votes went to Hispanic candidates."

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=213&sid=1980600

It's one way to get around the problem of allowing illegal aliens to vote, now each legal immigrant can vote for 5 illegals.
Old 06-22-10, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
For write-in candidates,

Last Name, First Name {sd}{sd}{sd}{sd}{sd}{sd}
Old 06-22-10, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
If most voters are white, and the white voters cast all six votes for white candidate(s), don't see what this accomplishes.
It makes it easier to cover up election fraud. We already have people casting more than one vote, this just sweeps it under the rug.
Old 06-22-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
White people aren't racist, and think logically. They apportion their votes according to the issues, the candidates' stances thereon, and their own preferences.

Hispanic people are only interested in and capable of voting for hispanic (sorry, not capitalizing that) candidates; that is, if they can possibly drag their lazy asses to the polls.

Get it now?

At least that's what the judge thinks, along with the people who created this procedure. This is more of what's pretty common thinking: "minorities are stupid and incapable of making decisions, so let's make things easier for them." I prefer to think that people should take responsibility for themselves, and that each person should have only one vote, but I guess that's old-fashioned.
Old 06-22-10, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cheato View Post
White people aren't racist, and think logically. They apportion their votes according to the issues, the candidates' stances thereon, and their own preferences.

Hispanic people are only interested in and capable of voting for hispanic (sorry, not capitalizing that) candidates; that is, if they can possibly drag their lazy asses to the polls.

Get it now?

At least that's what the judge thinks, along with the people who created this procedure. This is more of what's pretty common thinking: "minorities are stupid and incapable of making decisions, so let's make things easier for them." I prefer to think that people should take responsibility for themselves, and that each person should have only one vote, but I guess that's old-fashioned.
That's exactly the logic behind this---excellent summary.
Old 06-22-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still don't understand this.

So, whites get 6 votes as well. So if the whites keep voting the same way they have been, using their 6 votes like 1, what difference does it make?

Is it just some plan to make hispanics "think" they have an edge over the white voters, so that more of them will register and vote?

How does the previous way go against the Voting Act? I don't remember it being explained in the article. The majority of the people in the are are hispanic but the majority of them don't vote. So, the Voting Acts right is getting violated because hispanics are choosing NOT to vote?? Because...they're lazy? They don't believe in the system? Skinheads are guarding the voting booths with baseball bats?

Last edited by brayzie; 06-23-10 at 06:17 PM.
Old 06-23-10, 12:40 PM

Another case of blame whitey. Are you a minority and have a problem? Must have been caused by whitey. That is all I see these days. The irony is that the minorities accusing whites of being racist are actually being racist themselves. Stop trying to pin your problems on others and go vote yourself.
Old 06-23-10, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by UltimateX1 View Post
Another case of blame whitey. Are you a minority and have a problem? Must have been caused by whitey. That is all I see these days. The irony is that the minorities accusing whites of being racist are actually being racist themselves. Stop trying to pin your problems on others and go vote yourself.
You bring a fresh perspective that is sorely lacking around these parts. I look forward to your future contributions.
Old 06-23-10, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by dork View Post
You bring a fresh perspective that is sorely lacking around these parts. I look forward to your future contributions.
Is that sarcasm I detect? If your trying to get a rise out of me, it won't work buddy. I am in no way, nor have I ever been a racist.
Old 06-23-10, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by UltimateX1 View Post
Interesting point of view except this whole "solution" was proposed and implemented by whitey.
Old 06-23-10, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jdodd View Post
Interesting point of view except this whole "solution" was proposed and implemented by whitey.
What's the reason behind implementing this new 6 vote/1 person system?

How does the previous system violate the Voting Rights Act?
Old 06-23-10, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
What's the reason behind implementing this new 6 vote/1 person system?
The entire committee that adopted the new system is on acid, I guess.

How does the previous system violate the Voting Rights Act?
I can't imagine "1 person, 1 vote" violating any voting law.