Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

One & Only Illegal Immigration Thread: Part VIII

Old 06-17-10, 07:55 AM
Admin-Thanos

One & Only Illegal Immigration Thread: Part VIII

Previous thread: HERE

Enjoy.
Old 06-17-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: One & Only Illegal Immigration Thread: Part VIII

Unless your state has no income tax, they're cheating the state.
They've still been paying the state sales taxes and other taxes/fees. And how much income tax would they have paid anyhow in their teenage years?
Old 06-17-10, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
They've still been paying the state sales taxes and other taxes/fees. And how much income tax would they have paid anyhow in their teenage years?
But taxpayers are paying their healthcare, public schooling, food stamps during their teens. So they are taking and not putting nothing in.
Old 06-17-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Continuing from the last thread, the Dream Act is a provision that allows for a hole to be patched in our immigration system, not necessarily affording amnesty for millions of illegals. Because if we do start deporting people en-masse, all these people will be left behind.
Old 06-17-10, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hillary Clinton declared the federal government will be suing the state of AZ over their immigration law today.
Old 06-18-10, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was really confused as to how she announced it. Why Ecuadorian TV?

For that matter... why has Clinton stayed so quiet the past year? she came out of the gate nearly screaming but she's been keeping quiet about nearly every hot issue. I thought by now she would have caused more than her fair share of uproars. Maybe she's trying to fit better into Obama's administration?

Last edited by Superboy; 06-18-10 at 06:31 AM.
Old 06-18-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
Hillary Clinton declared the federal government will be suing the state of AZ over their immigration law today.
Bring it on, bitch!
Old 06-18-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
I was really confused as to how she announced it. Why Ecuadorian TV?
Good question.

I think it's unprecedented(may be wrong) for a Secretary of State to pull that kind of crap. Some are speculating she's on a personal crusade and 'talking out of turn' again to try and squeeze Obama.
Old 06-18-10, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post

This administration is full of fucking morons. Can they not see the polling on this. Americans want more of this.

And please dont anyone give us a govern by polls lecture. This is obviously politically motivated. They are choosing the loonatic fringe of their base over the rest of the US.....
Old 06-18-10, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why do they need to "sue"? They ignore the law on everything else, just appoint some new proto-fascist Czar and flex the muscle already...
Old 06-18-10, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BKenn01 View Post
This administration is full of fucking morons. Can they not see the polling on this. Americans want more of this.

And please dont anyone give us a govern by polls lecture. This is obviously politically motivated. They are choosing the loonatic fringe of their base over the rest of the US.....
Constitutionality is more important than polls.
Old 06-18-10, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We must do everything we can to concentrate as much wealth as possible in the fewest hands. After all it is the way of every country to the south of us and it works well for them. Because we are here.
Old 06-18-10, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, now they're going to sue AZ for creating a law that 70% of the voters in that state approve of? Hmmmm... wonder why? Couldn't be because Obama and Dems want all the soon-to-be-given-amnesty Hispanics to vote them all back in, could it?
Old 06-18-10, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I wonder if she can counter-sue the Federal Government for not upholding the immigration laws in her state? I can't see why she couldn't. And if the courts determine she can't enact her own laws to deal with illegal immigration (which is what I think the court will find) then they would be forced to, by the counter suit, examine if the federal gov't is doing their part. I think the answer to the later is pretty obvious. Just throwing it out there..
Old 06-18-10, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk God

She could try. She'd lose.
Old 06-18-10, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Personally, I like Kinky Friedman's Five Mexican Generals Plan (via Matt Labash's latest Daily Caller column):

If we really want to solve the problem, however, I’m not sure Arizona’s is the best way. This country is all about self-reliance. And so we’d better start teaching that to those on the other side of the border, so that when they sneak over here, they fit in better. In other words, it’s time to empower Mexicans to control the problem. The best plan I ever heard for securing our border came when I was profiling the great Kinky Friedman for my home publication, the Weekly Standard.

While running for governor of Texas, Kinky advanced what he called his Five Mexican Generals border plan. The idea being, that you put a substantial amount of money in the accounts of five Mexican Generals who are each responsible for their respective border sectors. They can only collect after an elapsed period of time. If a certain percentage of aliens makes it across from their country during that time, we deduct from their purses, giving them incentive to keep people on their side of the border. The fewer that make it across, the more money they take home. “It’s a joke,” Kinky said, “but a joke that’s a good idea.” Kinky also, of course, wanted to appoint Willie Nelson head of his Commission on Energy. So it might need some ironing out.
Old 06-18-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
So, now they're going to sue AZ for creating a law that 70% of the voters in that state approve of? Hmmmm... wonder why? Couldn't be because Obama and Dems want all the soon-to-be-given-amnesty Hispanics to vote them all back in, could it?
I know, let's just ask the local population to determine constitutionality.
Let's take a journey back to, say, 1855.
Dear South Carolina Voters, do you like having slaves? yes | no

This action will eventually bring the mavericky Arizonans back into the fold, there will be moral outrage, a federal bill will be introduced and EVERY SINGLE corporation in the country will crush the bill into something unrecognizable.

Of, by and for the corporation.

Sincerely,
Ayn Rand
Old 06-18-10, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not when it starts to become outdated.
Old 06-19-10, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I wonder if she can counter-sue the Federal Government for not upholding the immigration laws in her state? I can't see why she couldn't. And if the courts determine she can't enact her own laws to deal with illegal immigration (which is what I think the court will find) then they would be forced to, by the counter suit, examine if the federal gov't is doing their part. I think the answer to the later is pretty obvious. Just throwing it out there..
I don't know enough about the issue to have any idea how the courts will go. However, I can see them saying that it is the Feds responsibility to secure the border, so AZ can't. But how can they say that is what AZ is doing if they are only determining whether or not a person is or isn't a citizen?

In lunatic land, Portland's city council votes unanimously to condemn the AZ law. http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/i..._says_ari.html

All the while Public Broadcasting finds that 61% of us NW people support the AZ law. http://news.opb.org/article/7619-61-...migration-law/
Old 06-19-10, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DJLinus View Post
Personally, I like Kinky Friedman's Five Mexican Generals Plan (via Matt Labash's latest Daily Caller column):
problem is, you encourage pretty much a bounty on illegals, likely allowing them to use any methods necessary to capture or prevent them coming across. no doubt, many would probably die under this plan.
Old 06-19-10, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Continuing from the last thread, the Dream Act is a provision that allows for a hole to be patched in our immigration system, not necessarily affording amnesty for millions of illegals. Because if we do start deporting people en-masse, all these people will be left behind.
But we aren't deporting people en-masse and we both know it's not going to happen any time soon. It sounds like your exaggerating the threat of mass deportation to get support for the Dream Act and then acting like it's a solution to the problem of illegal immigration, which it isn't.

I agree with you here though. It doesn't matter if 90% of the people support a law, if it's unconstitutional then there's a problem. Now, whether or not the AZ law is unconstitutional I still don't know for sure.

Last edited by brayzie; 06-19-10 at 02:56 AM.
Old 06-19-10, 03:07 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally Posted by Tsar Chasm View Post
I know, let's just ask the local population to determine constitutionality.
Let's take a journey back to, say, 1855.
Dear South Carolina Voters, do you like having slaves? yes | no

This action will eventually bring the mavericky Arizonans back into the fold, there will be moral outrage, a federal bill will be introduced and EVERY SINGLE corporation in the country will crush the bill into something unrecognizable.

Of, by and for the corporation.

Sincerely,
Ayn Rand
Let's ask the federales to determine constitutionality.

As for the rest of your post...WTF? Are you drunk? I bet you're drunk.
Old 06-19-10, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
But we aren't deporting people en-masse and we both know it's not going to happen any time soon. It sounds like your exaggerating the threat of mass deportation to get support for the Dream Act and then acting like it's a solution to the problem of illegal immigration, which it isn't.
Uh, what?

No, i'm saying if we start deporting illegal immigrants en masse, there will still be millions of temporarily legal immigrants left behind, which will then age into illegal status. Which presents the illegal immigration problem all over again, even if we secure our border. Which means we have to spend millions to deport them. Again. And nothing is stopping them from going to school here and receiving social services, since they're legal until 18. The Dream Act patches this hole. Get it yet?

I agree with you here though. It doesn't matter if 90% of the people support a law, if it's unconstitutional then there's a problem. Now, whether or not the AZ law is unconstitutional I still don't know for sure.
It is unconstitutional. Unless you think the Patriot Act trumps the constitution.
Old 06-19-10, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I don't know enough about the issue to have any idea how the courts will go. However, I can see them saying that it is the Feds responsibility to secure the border, so AZ can't. But how can they say that is what AZ is doing if they are only determining whether or not a person is or isn't a citizen?
They could sue, actually, because the Federal government wasn't doing its job. But, any settlement they get would be paid with their own money, so there's no point.
Old 06-19-10, 03:16 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Have you read the Constitution, Superboy?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.