Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Helen Thomas retires in flap over Israel remarks [Update: DEAD]

Old 06-07-10, 03:45 PM

Helen Thomas retires in flap over Israel remarks [Update: DEAD]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100607/...israel_remarks

WASHINGTON – Longtime Washington journalist Helen Thomas abruptly retired Monday as a columnist for Hearst News Service following remarks she made about Israel that were denounced by the White House and her press corps colleagues.
The 89-year-old Thomas, dean of the White House press corps, has been a fixture in Washington and has been lauded as a pioneering female journalist who has covered presidents since 1960.
Known for her confrontational questioning, Thomas apologized for comments that were captured on video and have spread widely on the Internet. On the May 27 video, Thomas says Israelis should "get the hell out of Palestine" and suggests they go to Germany, Poland or the U.S.
Hearst announced her retirement, effective immediately, shortly after White House press secretary Robert Gibbs called her remarks "offensive and reprehensible" during his daily briefing with reporters. Thomas, who has had a front-row seat in the briefing room for many years, was not present.
The White House Correspondents Association also issued a rare statement, calling her comments "indefensible."
"Many in our profession who have known Helen for years were saddened by the comments, which were especially unfortunate in light of her role as a trail blazer on the White House beat," said the statement, signed by journalists who are officers of the association.
Thomas had been scheduled to speak at the June 14 graduation of Walt Whitman High School in the Washington suburb of Bethesda, Md., but Principal Alan Goodwin wrote in a Sunday e-mail to students and parents that she was being replaced.
"Graduation celebrations are not the venue for divisiveness," Goodwin wrote.
Thomas wrote on her website, "I deeply regret my comments I made last week regarding the Israelis and the Palestinians."
She added: "They do not reflect my heart-felt belief that peace will come to the Middle East only when all parties recognize the need for mutual respect and tolerance. May that day come soon."
The national director of the Anti-Defamation League, Abraham H. Foxman, said Sunday that Thomas' apology didn't go far enough.
"Her suggestion that Israelis should go back to Poland and Germany is bigoted and shows a profound ignorance of history," Foxman said in a statement. "We believe Thomas needs to make a more forceful and sincere apology for the pain her remarks have caused."
Thomas began her career with the wire service United Press International in 1943 and started covering the White House in 1960, according to a biography posted on her website. She became a columnist for Hearst in 2000.
The remark happened awhile ago but I don't recall hearing anything about it until today. Maybe I've just been out of the loop...
Old 06-07-10, 03:51 PM

re: Helen Thomas retires in flap over Israel remarks [Update: DEAD]

An 89-year-old white lady with anti-semetic views? Who would have thought!
Old 06-07-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Yes - you're out of the loop.

It's being talked about in the another thread.
Old 06-07-10, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Yes - you're out of the loop.

It's being talked about in the another thread.
Found it:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...n-jackass.html
Old 06-07-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
An 89-year-old white lady with anti-semetic views? Who would have thought!
With Lebanese parents.

BTW, would her remarks be as offensive if she said "They should get the hell out of Palestine and move to the USA." ?
Old 06-07-10, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
With Lebanese parents.
Kudos to them. Adopting a child as a same-sex couple in 1921 must have been quite the ordeal.
Old 06-07-10, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Old 06-07-10, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank goodness she doesn't post on this site and suggest the Palestinians should be driven into the sea in the manner one of the jokers on here did. Think it was "OldDude" or "Classicman". One of our resident old folks, anyway, exposing their anti-semitic sentiments..
Old 06-07-10, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Neither OldDude or I said anyone was anti-semetic. We did say there are some members of our forum who are anti-Israel. It's not the same.
Old 06-07-10, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Neither OldDude or I said anyone was anti-semetic. We did say there are some members of our forum who are anti-Israel. It's not the same.
That was not what I was referencing. The comment in question suggested that if it was up to him (the forum member) he would not be as kind as the Israelis and would drive the Palestinians off the land. Anti-semitic as you get.
Old 06-07-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Is whoever the heck it was a reporter or journalist? Do they sit on the white house press core?

Now that Helen and her ugly maw are no longer in the official capacity she was in she can spout all the anti-semtic crap she wants and I don't care. That goes with anyone on here. They just shouldn't act surprised when they are called on it.
Old 06-07-10, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

One can understand why the Brits are somewhat anti-Israel. They still haven't gotten over the Zionist bombing of The King David Hotel in 1946.
Old 06-07-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tuck it in, your age is showing again.

I doubt if many British could recall the last time we won the World Cup let alone an act of terrorism more than half a century ago!
Old 06-07-10, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

You'll have to forgive Helen Thomas. She's been senile for 10 years.
Old 06-07-10, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You'll have to forgive Helen Thomas. She's been senile for 10 years.
You're really going to just post a set-up like that and not expect anybody to follow through?
Old 06-07-10, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What Helen Thomas said was horribly bigoted and offensive, and she ought to be ashamed of herself. I have no problems whatsoever with this leading to her being forced into retirement. That said, I don't know that it's any worse than the kinds of things that routinely get said in the media about Mexicans and Muslims.
Old 06-07-10, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru View Post
That was not what I was referencing. The comment in question suggested that if it was up to him (the forum member) he would not be as kind as the Israelis and would drive the Palestinians off the land. Anti-semitic as you get.
That was after at least one or possibly all six Arab-Israeli wars, in which the Arabs for no very good reason attacked Israel in unison (and the Palestinians helped). Perhaps the first time, I could have been magnanimous as Israel was. The 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th time, I would have made fucking sure there wasn't a 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th time. That is being a sensible defender, that is NOT being the instigator of the warfare (that would be Arab nations).

Lets face it, WE nuked the last country to attack us that way.

Lets be honest about who has demonstrated a consistent pattern of violence and warfare, and who preaches it as a religion. It is not possible to argue that killing Jews is freedom to practice one's religion. But lets face which religion tries to assert that view. Until Islam can acknowledge Israel's right to exist, I can be pretty anti-Islamic, and in my view, with cause.

Very frankly, had it not been for six Arab-Israel wars, Israel would be within the original UN boundaries, and Egypt and Jordan would be occupying Gaza and the West Bank and persecuting Palestinians (they never did anything to help the Palestinians set up a state.)
Old 06-07-10, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OldDude you might enjoy Victor Davis Hanson's new book 'The Father of Us All'.

Seeing common sense like you post above is refreshing.

I just caught an excellent talk he gave at a bookstore in May on this very topic(in a larger sense) this week on CSPAN, it's well worth listening to if you care to:

Old 06-07-10, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't know if anyone can say anything offensive about this conflict that is more offensive than the conflict itself.
Old 06-07-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

OldDude = Ignorance on parade...
Old 06-07-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by van der graaf View Post
OldDude = Ignorance on parade...
What an incredible and insightful post. I applaud your concise rebuttal of OldDude's post. You, sir, are an intellectual giant among men.

Old 06-07-10, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
What Helen Thomas said was horribly bigoted and offensive, and she ought to be ashamed of herself. I have no problems whatsoever with this leading to her being forced into retirement. That said, I don't know that it's any worse than the kinds of things that routinely get said in the media about Mexicans and Muslims.
Hell, it's not any worse than what's been said on fox noise about Helen Thomas.
Old 06-07-10, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

If any of you "This is just as bad as" apologists can post where a member of the white house press corps said something similar that would surely be appreciated. Otherwise your comparisons are just reaching and, quite frankly, nobody is buying it.

Originally Posted by crazyronin View Post
What an incredible and insightful post. I applaud your concise rebuttal of OldDude's post. You, sir, are an intellectual giant among men.
Old 06-07-10, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Hell, it's not any worse than what's been said on fox noise about Helen Thomas.
So cool when people use little witticisms like that. Just like Rush Limbaugh.
Old 06-07-10, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Kudos to them. Adopting a child as a same-sex couple in 1921 must have been quite the ordeal.
Now that is gol-durn funny! First laugh out loud I've had all day!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.