Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Won't someone think of macing the children?

Old 05-31-10, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Won't someone think of macing the children?

Six Flags Pepper Spray Controversy
'All Time Low' Lashes Out about Incident

By Kevin Boie | MYFOXDFW.COM

ARLINGTON, Texas - Controversy is brewing after fans at Six Flags in Arlington were pepper sprayed during an all-ages concert.

WARNING: ARTICLE CONTAINS GRAPHIC LANGUAGE

The incident happened on Saturday night during a performance by "All Time Low" as part of a traveling multiband performance "The Bamboozle Roadshow."

According to amusement park representative Sharon Parker, one of the bands incited the young crowd, prompting them to become rowdy.

Parker did not provide specifics about the concertgoers' actions, but in an official statement did admit that force was used to control the crowd.

"In an effort to diffuse the situation, pepper spray was used and approximately 15 guests were affected," the statement read. "Those individuals were treated by First Aid and released."

Parker said that Arlington police, not park security, brandished the weapon.

A police spokesperson said no uniformed officers were at teh park but that one off-duty officer was working security at the event.

No arrests were reported.

The incident outraged the band and has sparked a social media backlash.

Video posted on YouTube shows band member Alex Gaskarth addressing the crowd immediately after the incident.

"Any fu--ing Six Flags that sprays mace in the face of a fu--ing kid -- that is fucking bulls--t," he said to a cheering crowd.

But the harsh words for Six Flags did not end there. The band utilized its Twitter account to further criticize the park.

"I don't care how rowdy a crowd of kids are, there is absolutely no excuse for the police at SIX FLAGS to spray mace in our fans faces," one post read. "That kind of protocol is insane for an all ages show at a theme park. A girl who looked to be about 15 walked up to me and said she was removed from the crowd after being maced. Are you fu--ing kidding me?"

The band also alerted fans that it would not be attending the roadshow's scheduled Sunday performance at Six Flags' San Antonio location.

According to the park, the band dropped out, but ATL said the park refused to let them play.

"Big thanks to the park for not only condoning the macing of kids at an all ages show, but also for fabricating stories in order to ban us," the band tweeted. "For clarification, we have been asked not to perform at the 6Flags San Antonio show tonight. I'm sincerely sorry to anyone hoping to see us."

The majority of comments made on the video and in response to the tweets were highly critical of Six Flags.
No editors were used in the creation of this article
Old 05-31-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Won't someone think of macing the children?

Whoops. Too many open windows. Could a mod move this to Otter?
Old 05-31-10, 10:55 PM
Banned by request

The Bamboozle Roadshow? What?
Old 06-01-10, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dominay View Post
I met up a friend at Denny's for breakfast this morning. He brought his 3 yr old son and 5 yr old daughter. Both were obnoxious and wild, running around the place, jumping around the booth, talkin so freakin loud. Gosh, I wish someone maced them! (And yes, I too have kids of my own and both are disciplined like hell.)
Next time, meet up at Logan's Steakhouse.
Old 06-01-10, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure if you're making a joke... whats special about Logan's Steakhouse?
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/...eak-house.html
Old 06-01-10, 12:23 PM

The crowd's behavior must have been at an all-time low!
Old 06-01-10, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

I met up a friend at Denny's for breakfast this morning. He brought his 3 yr old son and 5 yr old daughter. Both were obnoxious and wild, running around the place, jumping around the booth, talkin so freakin loud. Gosh, I wish someone maced them! (And yes, I too have kids of my own and both are disciplined like hell.)
So you beat children? Does overpowering someone 1/2 your size give you confidence or sexual gratification?
Old 06-01-10, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez View Post
So you beat children? Does overpowering someone 1/2 your size give you confidence or sexual gratification?
It's a little of both for me.
Old 06-01-10, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Goddamit I wanted to make the Logan's Steakhouse callback.
Old 06-01-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez View Post
Ahh yer one of these Time Out / Self-Esteem / Everyone's A Winner fellas...
Old 06-01-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love how his reaction to having the crowd get maced is to further goad them on against the place. Great job there. No taking personal responsibility for the crowd or trying to calm them down or anything like that.
Old 06-01-10, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Ahh yer one of these Time Out / Self-Esteem / Everyone's A Winner fellas...

In other words, the kids rule.....
Old 06-01-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

In my worldview, parenting is not a binary opposition of letting kids run around wild vs. beating/abusing/molesting them into submission. There's a middle way of nurturing children that begins at an early age and continues till they are respectable young adults. I'm assuming thats foreign to you. You're Catholic, right?
there was a smiley missing from my post

but...

i cant stand the 'children are homogeneous' crowd either