Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Everything is known to California to be a carcinogen.

Old 05-19-10, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Everything is known to California to be a carcinogen.

I bought a garden hose and it warned me that something in the hose was known to the state of California to be a carcinogen. I've seen that before, and I think it is also on oil, gas, etc. for California (correct me if I'm wrong). So I looked up some other stuff.

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...+in+California

Some food packaging, coal tar, marijuana, dry cleaning chemicals, etc. Hell, not only are most things found to be carcinogenic in California, but many of them are banned as well.

Which made me think...what else is a know carcinogen? TOBACCO? Why the hell doesn't California ban tobacco? Seriously, they ban stuff you rarely come in contact with that you won't get cancer from it, but it doesn't ban the substance that leads to more cancer than anything else in America....California included? Rationalize that.
Old 05-19-10, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Everything is known to California to be a carcinogen.

Yeah, if you order food at Sea World San Diego, you have to talk to them through a sign that tells you their food contains things known by the state of California to kill you in all sorts of ways. Shamu's tank doesn't have that sign.
Old 05-19-10, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

California's standard for "known to be a carcinogen" is even flimsier than the standard for global warming. The statement should be interpretted as "we don't know shit about its effects on humans."

Slapping on everything where the slighest doubt exists dilutes the message, and no one takes it seriously, even on proven and significant carcinogens.
Old 05-20-10, 02:47 AM
Needs to provide a working email

At Mustard's Grill, Napa, CA.