Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Evil rich bastard CEOs.....oh wait.....

Old 05-14-10, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Evil rich bastard CEOs.....oh wait.....

Evil rich bitch CEOs.....
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/women-ceos-...ry?id=10630664

Women CEOs Beat Men in Pay in 2009
Glass Ceiling Cracking? While Male CEOs Took Pay Cuts Women got Raises Averaging Nearly 30 Percent

While the average earnings for women still lag behind those of men, they're turning the tables in the most exclusive corporate club of all. A new report from Bloomberg News, the leading provider of business news worldwide, shows that women who head the nation's largest companies are earning substantially more than their male counterparts. Their average annual pay over the last few years? Just over $14 million dollars.

"That means women earned 40 percent more than men in 2009," says Alexis Leondis of Bloomberg.

What's more, in 2009 female CEOs got raises averaging nearly 30 percent, while male CEOs took pay cuts.

16 Women at the Top

Carol Bartz, the CEO of Yahoo! has a pay package of $47.2 million.

Kraft CEO Irene Rosenfeld's take-home pay is $26.3 million.

And Indra Nooyi, the CEO of Pepsi Co., earns $15.8 million a year.

Despite those huge salaries, there is a huge caveat: There are still very few women who have made it to the corner office when compared to the number of men in those positions of corporate power. Only 16 companies listed in the S&P 500 are run by women.

One reason female bosses did so much better than women at lower levels is that CEO pay is transparent, being made public and available to the press. Some say no board would dare underpay a female CEO for fear of public backlash.

"There's 16 women making money and that's great," says Marie Wilson of The White House Project, a women's advocacy group. "I'm concerned about the vast majority of women who are now the majority of the workforce it's kind of like the 16 supercorporate women are doing well. And that's a good sign but it's not good enough."

In fact, women workers as a whole earn just 79 as much as men, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

So Why Do Most Women Struggle?

Although these 16 women CEOs have climbed to the top rung of the corporate ladder, most women still struggle to get a solid foothold. Some studies have shown that women are far less aggressive in negotiations.

In one ABC News behavior lab experiment, volunteers were told they would be paid between $5 and $12 for their time participating in a study. Everyone was offered the minimum, but the men and women differed wildly in their reactions to the payment. More than half the men asked for more money, but only a third of the women bargained for more.

Women CEOs Earn More, But Not Their Assistants

But still, even the women who have broken through the glass ceiling say that much has to change culturally in the business for women to reach parity at all levels. The hope is that the few who have made it to the top can start that change from the highest levels.

"If my job went out there with that kind of earning, I guess I'd want to make a real commitment to seeing every woman in my company paid fairly," says Wilson. "If I'm being paid like that I want all of you to be paid fairly."
I am sure that from now on when we hear Democrats cry about CEO pay, they'll be sure to especially talk bad about women.

What I actually found most interesting in the article was the last bolded part about the experiment. Women obviously don't think they are worth as much as men. As since women do not come into the politics forum, I am safe in saying they finally are right about something.
Old 05-14-10, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Evil rich bastard CEOs.....oh wait.....

They are averaging the results of 16 and comparing it to the average of 484...that tells me all I need to know about how useless this survey is.
Old 05-14-10, 08:45 AM

They are probably worth every dime. If being married has taught me anything, it's that women love to boss people around.
Old 05-14-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
They are probably worth every dime. If being married has taught me anything, it's that women love to boss people around.
If anything ever deserved a drumroll and canned laughter...
Old 05-14-10, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Purely anecdotal but most people I know would rather work for a man than a woman, women included. Women bosses are more martinet-like than most men bosses.
Old 05-14-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
If anything ever deserved a drumroll and canned laughter...
Groucho writes for According to Jim now?
Old 05-14-10, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
They are averaging the results of 16 and comparing it to the average of 484...that tells me all I need to know about how useless this survey is.
They're comparing 100% of the female CEOs in the S&P 500 to 100% of the male CEOs. That's a sufficient sample size to draw conclusions about how sex affects CEO salaries among the 500 top public corporations in the US.
Old 05-14-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just because they are women doesn't mean they aren't evil. You hippies make me sick.
Old 05-14-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Yes! Freaking hippies.
Old 05-14-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by arminius View Post
Purely anecdotal but most people I know would rather work for a man than a woman, women included. Women bosses are more martinet-like than most men bosses.
We have one boss that the staff here hate. And even the females who hate him say it's because he acts like a whiny little bitch.
Old 05-14-10, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
They're comparing 100% of the female CEOs in the S&P 500 to 100% of the male CEOs. That's a sufficient sample size to draw conclusions about how sex affects CEO salaries among the 500 top public corporations in the US.
Gonna have to disagree with you there. There are probably a thousand variables that lead to the determination of what a CEO makes in a particular company. The study is interesting, but the sample does not support the actual drawing of conclusions beyond the raw numbers themselves.*

*By that I mean from an scientifically objective standpoint. From an Internet forum debate standpoint, there is more than enough here to support the reaching of conclusions. Go to town, dude!
Old 05-14-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

True, but there is a slight chance that the OP intended to extrapolate a larger point from those data.
Old 05-14-10, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just compared 100% of the CEOs in the S&P 500 who are named Warren Buffet to 100% of the CEOs in the S&P 500 who are not named Warren Buffet and have reached some startling conclusions! Clearly, the market places a premium on guys named Warren.

As for the fact that you've looked at all 16 (out of 500) female CEOs and found them to be more highly compensated than the average of the 484 male CEOs, I think that says less about women in general and more about what kind of woman you have to be to get to the rarified air of being an S&P 500 CEO.

Last edited by JasonF; 05-14-10 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-14-10, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

First rule of counter-terrorism:

Kill all the women first.

To get to the top of terrorist organizations that are inherently sexist, women have to harder, faster, stronger, and quicker on the draw. They'll annihilate their male counterparts.
Old 05-14-10, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I just compared 100% of the CEOs in the S&P 500 who are named Warren Buffet to 100% of the CEOs in the S&P 500 who are not named Warren Buffet and have reached some startling conclusions! Clearly, the market places a premium on guys named Warren.

As for the fact that you've looked at all 16 (out of 500) female CEOs and found them to be more highly compensated than the average of the 484 male CEOs, I think that says less about women in general and more about what kind of woman you have to be to get to the rarified air of being an S&P 500 CEO.
Why do you hate science so much?
Old 05-14-10, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Perhaps the women lead, on average, larger or more profitable companies than the men?

Is "kvrdave" now a sock puppet alias for grundle?
Old 05-14-10, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Why do you hate science so much?
Old 05-14-10, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mopower View Post
Groucho writes for According to Jim now?
No, Groucho is funny.
Old 05-14-10, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Perhaps the women lead, on average, larger or more profitable companies than the men?

Is "kvrdave" now a sock puppet alias for grundle?
Or perhaps they have naked pictures of the board of directors. I'll bet the "scientists" didn't bother to consider that either.

The article gives some possible reasons. I simply enjoy pointing out "sexist" ideas that aren't always right. You have a lot of women's groups that are running out of things to fight, so they tend to yell about the same old things, even if they aren't true anymore. You see it much more in education, but it is in everything.

Perhaps someday there will be a cry for more men to enter the field of veterinary sciences. It is becoming dominated by women. We must correct that.
Old 05-14-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Because 16 women earn more on average than 484 men you think they are running out of things to fight for? How about the fact that out of the top 500 companies, 97% of them have male CEO's?
Old 05-14-10, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because 16 women earn more on average than 484 men you think they are running out of things to fight for? How about the fact that out of the top 500 companies, 97% of them have male CEO's?
And what is the male to female ratio of having babies. Something must be done now.
Old 05-14-10, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is nothing on this earth sexier, believe me, gentlemen, than a woman you have to salute in the morning. Promote 'em all, I say, because this is true - if you haven't gotten a blow-job from a superior officer, well, you're just letting the best in life pass you by. 'Course, my problem is, I'm a colonel, so I guess I'll just have to keep taking cold showers until one of you gals is elected president.
We need more female's in charge!
Old 05-14-10, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk God

No, I think they are generally fighting for the same things they have won, over and over again. They don't want equality, they want preference. Look at the amount of money spent on breast cancer per capita (and the corresponding survival rate) compared to prostate cancer. It isn't enough that there are areas in which women do much better than men (they don't want equality there), they want their cake, eat it too, and not get fat.
Old 05-14-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This should have been the headline of the article...the higher salary is so statistically shaky that it should have been a minor point in the article.