Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Last year Obama said he owned an iPod. Now he says he doesn't know how to use one.

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Last year Obama said he owned an iPod. Now he says he doesn't know how to use one.

Old 05-11-10, 02:13 PM
Political Exile

This guy lies about everything!

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/65620

Obama's iPod Flip-Flop: Last Year He Said He Had All Michael Jackson's Music on His iPod; Now He Says He Can't Use an iPod

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

By Nicholas Ballasy

President Barack Obama told Hampton University’s graduating class on Sunday that he does not “know how to work” an iPod. Last July, however, after pop-star Michael Jackson’s death, Obama told the Associated Press (see video below) that he had Jackson’s music on his iPod.

“You’re coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don’t always rank that high on the truth meter,” Obama told the graduates.

“And with iPods and iPads, and Xboxes and PlayStations--none of which I know how to work (laughter), information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation,” said Obama. “So all of this is not only putting pressure on you. It’s putting new pressure on our country and on our democracy.”

In July of 2009, 10 months ago, the Associated Press asked Obama in a one-on-one interview, “A lot of folks in the black community are concerned about how you reacted to Michael Jackson’s death, that it wasn’t respectful enough or out-front enough. How do you react to that?”

Obama said, “Well, I’m not, I know a lot of people in the black community and I haven’t heard that.”

The AP reporter then said, “Well, I'm getting a lot of e-mail about it, and a lot of folks feel like there wasn't an official statement or something from you. It's not the typical way that the White House responds when somebody of stature dies.”

Obama then said, “Well, look, you're the first person who has actually asked me about it. So, you know, I think that Michael Jackson is, will go down in history as one of our greatest entertainers. I grew up on his music. Still have all his stuff on my iPod. I think that his brilliance as a performer also was paired with a tragic and, in many ways, sad personal life.”

Apple’s popular iPod Touch can play music, videos, connect wirelessly to the Internet and run applications purchased through Apple’s iTunes store, giving users the ability to access news, games, restaurant locaters, Internet radio, etc., on the device. Apple’s iPod classic only plays music and videos.
Old 05-11-10, 02:15 PM

Re: Last year Obama said he owned an iPod. Now he says he doesn't know how to use one

I fail to see why this is important enough to warrant a "news" story, let alone it's own thread at DVDTalk.
Old 05-11-10, 02:20 PM

Re: Last year Obama said he owned an iPod. Now he says he doesn't know how to use one

Just because the OP has wikipedia bookmarked on his computer doesn't mean...

... nah, too easy.
Old 05-11-10, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPodgate
Old 05-11-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, the major networks have been carrying this too. Painting Obama's statements as some sort of attack on technology. That doesn't accurately reflect the nature of the statements at all. The sentiment of the statements is quite good.

And the fact that he said he doesn't know how to work an ipod is relatively meaningless. I mean, seriously...
Old 05-11-10, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For Sale: One Grundle (dvdtalk)

Date: 2010-05-11, 1:27PM CDT
Reply to: *&TI*R*^[email protected]

One slightly used Grundle for any other web forum looking for one. Not housebroken and tends to leave little "messes" all over the place, but is somewhat entertaining to watch. Will take ANY offer. In fact, you can have him for free.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
Old 05-11-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Considering a monkey could use an ipod, i'm not sure why Obama can't figure it out.
Old 05-11-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

he lied, clintonize him
Old 05-11-10, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Considering a monkey could use an ipod, i'm not sure why Obama can't figure it out.
Wow
Old 05-11-10, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, try putting that on a t-shirt.
Old 05-11-10, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
Yeah, try putting that on a t-shirt.
That would be the greatest T-shirt ever
Old 05-11-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-11-10, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dear god almighty...
Old 05-11-10, 03:41 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by dork View Post
Oh wow! Thanks for the idea.
Old 05-11-10, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounded like in his speech he was making more of a "hey I'm the old guy who can't use all this videogames crap" joke. However, I guess he could have flipflopped.

Also, cpgator's joke was hilarious.
Old 05-11-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

meh....I have a wife - I have no idea how she works.
Old 05-11-10, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Sounded like in his speech he was making more of a "hey I'm the old guy who can't use all this videogames crap" joke. However, I guess he could have flipflopped.

Also, cpgator's joke was hilarious.
That is what I thought as well. A little self-deprecating humor.
Old 05-11-10, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by emanon View Post
meh....I have a wife - I have no idea how she works.
On her back.

heyoooo
Old 05-11-10, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But could a caveman?
Old 05-11-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
But could a caveman?
Apparently...

Old 05-11-10, 04:26 PM

I'm surprised that we haven't had a thread from grundle about this actual Obama quote regarding his low approval ratings: "It doesn't bother me. Beside I happen to know that my approval ratings are still very high in the country of my birth."
Old 05-11-10, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I think Obama's really not appreciating the fact that the mostly liberal controlled media aren't the only ones people turn to for news anymore and a bad idea can be shown to be a bad idea. Personally I think he should be embracing this new technology as it has gotten people more interested in the goings-on in the country more than ever. However I'm sure there is concern that the more clued-in people are as to what's going on the less chance of pushing some useless high price pork bill (otherwise known as Stimulus Bill) through without hassle.
Old 05-11-10, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I think Obama's really not appreciating the fact that the mostly liberal controlled media aren't the only ones people turn to for news anymore and a bad idea can be shown to be a bad idea. Personally I think he should be embracing this new technology as it has gotten people more interested in the goings-on in the country more than ever. However I'm sure there is concern that the more clued-in people are as to what's going on the less chance of pushing some useless high price pork bill (otherwise known as Stimulus Bill) through without hassle.

Dear god almighty...
Old 05-11-10, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This has to be the best Political thread at dvdtalk I have ever read.

Old 05-11-10, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Great. Just fucking great. The Commander in Chief doesn't understand how to use the Intercontinental Priority Offense/Defense system? We might as well all start learning to speak Arabic because we're fucked now.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.