Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Do both sides suck equally?

Old 05-03-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do both sides suck equally?

In the Car Bomb Attempt thread, Cheato wrote

Originally Posted by Cheato View Post
How about we just end this here with a:
Both sides suck.
I applaud his effort to drag this discussion back on topic, but the reality is that both sides don't always suck equally. There's this overwhelming desire in the "serious" media -- and among "serious" internet posters -- to look "above the fray" by, whenever any malfeasance by a politician is discussed, finding an equivalent bahvior from the other side of the aisle and saying "a pox on both their houses!" It's the close cousin to "This side says the Earth is round and that side says the Earth is flat and we'll have to leave it there!" David Broder loves that shit, which is one reason why I can't stand David Broder.

Balance is fine when it's warranted, but the reality is that sometimes, one side is worse than the other and we shouldn't pretend (for example) that the record number of cloture votes since the Democrats took control of the Senate is the same as the significantly smaller number of cloture votes that occurred when the Republicans were in the majority.

Anyway, I thought I'd split this rant off into its own thread so we can keep the Car Bomb Attempt thread on topic.
Old 05-03-10, 12:40 PM

Re: Do both sides suck equally?

Yes, but my side is more equal than yours.
Old 05-03-10, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course both sides don't suck equally. That's why my side is the lesser of two evils.
Old 05-03-10, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My secondary point there was that, contrary to your point (the "pox on both their houses"), many people use it as an excuse to say that nobody deserves the pox.

I say stand up and criticize your own side. Every time. Harshly. And stop supporting them when they do bad stuff. There are more than two parties, and politicians just feel they can get away with whatever the hell they want because, well, what are you going to do, vote for the other side? I don't care what politicians label themselves, but once you, the voter, decide you're a "liberal" or a "conservative" or a "Republican" or a "Democrat" or a "Green" or whatever, you are giving those parties and politicians more power than they deserve.

Stop worrying about the other side and worry about your own. I don't want my neighbor coming over to clean up my house, and I don't want to go over and clean up my neighbor's. I'll clean up mine, and if he'd clean up his, we'd both be happy.

Point to your own party's good past behavior as an example to follow, not to the other side's bad past behavior as an example to condemn.
Old 05-03-10, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 05-03-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Your sides sucks more.
Old 05-03-10, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That depends. Which party does Monica Lewinsky belong to?
Old 05-03-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

The opportunistic one.
Old 05-03-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Yes they suck equally. One side is usually right on an individual occasion, but the suckiness evens out in the long run. On worse occasions, there is only one side (at least among the usual 2 sides that I assume the OP is referring to).
Old 05-03-10, 01:29 PM

If only people would vote for [insert fringe third party here]! The country would be turned into a Utopia overnight.
Old 05-03-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does the closure vote disparity show that the Republicans are more obstructionist as a minority, or more considerate in what bills they bring to the floor as a majority?
Old 05-03-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Considering the Repubs have filibustered every piece of legislation brought forward, I'd say the latter.
Old 05-03-10, 02:32 PM
X
Administrator

I'd have to say the party that keeps the most legislation from being enacted sucks slightly less. The more they obstruct, the less they suck.
Old 05-03-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why does it have to be sides? Can't we take the "us vs them" mentality out of politics? I mean if everyone were really for the good of the country, it wouldn't be us vs them all the time.
Old 05-03-10, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Of course there have to be sides. When you have ideas that are fundamentally different from each other there must be sides. Of course the GOP needs to stop every piece of legislation they disagree with, so should the Dems. Someone who doesn't stand up for what they believe and against what they think is wrong is a pussy and should not be in politics.

As much as I dislike religion (especially in politics) I have to respect the Christian right for standing up for their beliefs. What I don't respect are those Christians on the left who vote for the better of their party despite their beliefs.
Old 05-03-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You guys have it all wrong. The American people suck. The Dems and Republicans are the ones sticking it in our mouths.
Old 05-03-10, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
You guys have it all wrong. The American people suck. The Dems and Republicans are the ones sticking it in our mouths.
"Every government is a parliament of whores. The trouble is, in a democracy, the whores are us." - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 05-03-10, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
Why does it have to be sides? Can't we take the "us vs them" mentality out of politics? I mean if everyone were really for the good of the country, it wouldn't be us vs them all the time.
I have no doubt that John Boehner, Mitch McConnell, and all the rest are genuinely acting in what they perceive to be the country's best interests. And so are Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and their pals. I'm sure everyone's hearts are in the right place. But that doesn't mean they are right, and when one side says "We need more regulations on offshore oil rigs" and the other side says "We need fewer regulations on offshore oil rigs," somebody is going to win and somebody is going to lose. And if the Democrats win, the Republicans are going to walk away thinking "Oh my God, they screwed up the country" and vice versa. We see it all the time around here (you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an "Obama has ruined America" post, and a few years ago, it was the same with President Bush).

There's a difference, of course, between "The other guys are ruining the country" and "The other guys are intentionally ruining the country," and I try to stay away from the latter. But as for the former -- when I see the Democrats proposing good things (things that I think will make the country better) and the Republicans opposing those proposals, then you're damned right it's us vs. them, because us is right and them is wrong.
Old 05-03-10, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
As a true Christian would. Putting the needs of others before their own, etc, etc, dogmadogmadogma, etc, etc, etc.
I'm not a Christian but that is not even remotely correct. Unless you're joking, of course.
Old 05-03-10, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
I'm not a Christian but that is not even remotely correct. Unless you're joking, of course.
I'm not a Christian either, which is why I generally try to avoid telling people who are Christians that they are practicing their faith incorrectly.
Old 05-03-10, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So you're trying to say a Christian who is against abortion or some other big issue should (according to Christian teachings) go against their faith and belief in God if it helps others? That's just silly. I was a Christian for quite a while before I saw the light and that is wrong. I think you may be mixing up your mythos there.
Old 05-03-10, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I'm not a Christian either, which is why I generally try to avoid telling people who are Christians that they are practicing their faith incorrectly.
Well, I love pointing out when people are doing it wrong. Having read up on many of the major faiths I love sticking my nose into it (especially Catholics which goes over well with my wife and her family). I will sit quietly and respectfully while you pray to what ever mystical being you want, but I will insist you follow the rules at least.
Old 05-03-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you trying to tell me that the Christians don't always run off at the mouth about "helping those less fortunate, all over the world"? Not that they actually DO that shit, that's just crazy talk. Hell, that would make me like 'em. But they're always going on about "helping others less fortunate", etc, etc, etc.
There is a big difference between helping the less fortunate or needy(and yes they DO that quite often, it is one reason I have great respect for Christianity and Judaism. Maybe you should look into that) and supporting a political cause that goes against your faith.
Old 05-03-10, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As a true Christian would. Putting the needs of others before their own, etc, etc, dogmadogmadogma, etc, etc, etc.
How do you know how a "true Christian" would act?
Old 05-03-10, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Read my posts. I've been there, done that, bought the communion wafers.
In other words, you are just making stuff up.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.