Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Ozzie speaks out about immigration law

Old 05-01-10, 01:29 AM
Banned

Ozzie speaks out about immigration law

NEW YORK -- After the Major League Baseball Players Association released a statement Friday opposing Arizona's new immigration law as written, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen was asked for his opinion prior to Friday's series opener with the Yankees.
Guillen is a citizen of Venezuela, but also became a citizen of the United States on Jan. 20, 2006. Guillen's three sons and wife all are U.S. citizens.

"The only thing I'm concerned about this problem if they take people out of their jobs, they're working and all of a sudden they come and get them out," Guillen said. "Those people come here as immigrants to work. That's it. And MLB and the Players Association make an agreement or not, I'm not part of that. I just hope they look at it very well about what they're doing. Believe me, we're pretty smart.

"We're going to keep moving around. We're not leaving, because we didn't do wrong here. We just work. We just come here to work. We got to support baseball, and that's what it is. I know there are people upset about it. I'm upset about it, and wish I could do more about it than what I'm doing."

"People come here for a reason," Guillen said. "They don't come here to do bad stuff. They got a reason [to sign the law]. But I was disappointed, because I think this problem should have been resolved a long time ago."

One idea Guillen came up with was some sort of working visa for the people in question.

"Nobody sees those guys getting up at 4 a.m. to go to work on the farm, picking all kinds of stuff and leaving at 6 o'clock in the afternoon. Nobody complains about that," Guillen said. "Leave those guys alone. Help them.

"Try to do something different to maintain those guys here. As soon as you do that, there are less immigrants, less illegal people here, because they help each other. They cannot live without us. Put it that way. They're workaholics. And this country can't survive without them.

"There's a lot of people from this country who are lazy. We're not," Guillen said. "Prove me wrong. A lot of people in this country want to be on the computer and send e-mails to people. We do the hard work. We're the ones who go out and work in the sun to make this country better."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news...=.jsp&c_id=cws
Old 05-01-10, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Ozzie speaks out about immigration law

Lazy doesn't bother me....willing to commit multiple crimes (breaking in, staying here, fraud, identify theft, etc) for personal gain bothers me.
Old 05-01-10, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Did a high school sophomore write that for him?
Old 05-01-10, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ozzy Rules

(Wait... this isn't the Ozzy I'm thinking of, is it?)

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 05-01-10 at 01:47 AM.
Old 05-01-10, 01:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Be kind. Ozzie became a U.S. citizen so he does speak english like Tony Montana. But remember he became a U.S. citizen.
Old 05-01-10, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ozzie Guillen is a great guy and a decent baseball manager, but he's not particularly known for his mastery of the English language.
Old 05-01-10, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Ozzie Guillen is a great guy and a decent baseball manager, but he's not particularly known for his mastery of the English language.
Like when he'd pretend to not speak English because he didn't want to talk to reporters, even though he has spoken English to them before?
Old 05-01-10, 11:06 AM

This couldn't go in the existing immigration thread because...
Old 05-01-10, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by pedagogue View Post
Lazy doesn't bother me....willing to commit multiple crimes (breaking in, staying here, fraud, identify theft, etc) for personal gain bothers me.

As long as they dont benefit its ok?
Old 05-01-10, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Ozzie brought my White Sox a World Series after 88 years. You can't say anything bad about him.

Unless the Sox don't make the playoffs again this year.
Old 05-01-10, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Don't give him that much credit.
Old 05-01-10, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by wm lopez View Post
...Guillen said. "Prove me wrong. A lot of people in this country want to be on the computer and send e-mails to people.
Fuck this guy! Those are fighting words. I pride myself on the creative ways I come up with to be on the computer all day at work and send e-mails. Takes real American ingenuity--something some foreigner couldn't get his head around.
Old 05-01-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I first thought of the other Ozzy too and it got me thinking: If Ozzy Osbourne were on tour in Arizona, took a wrong turn in the stadium, got locked outside all alone and started wandering the streets, what are the odds he gets deported?
Old 05-02-10, 01:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
This couldn't go in the existing immigration thread because...
Because that is mostly political people speaking out and making news.
This is a sport's figure and couldn't put in sports thread because of topic. So it gets it's own thread.
Old 05-03-10, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I heard this morning that a few baseball players will boycott the All-Star Game, if I heard correctly it's in Arizona this season or next- i'm not sure. Who the hell cares if they boycott the All Star game.
All Star games are a piece of crap anyway from all sports. If they want to do something boycott the season and a years pay.- whoops
Old 05-03-10, 07:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JOE29 View Post
I heard this morning that a few baseball players will boycott the All-Star Game, if I heard correctly it's in Arizona this season or next- i'm not sure. Who the hell cares if they boycott the All Star game.
All Star games are a piece of crap anyway from all sports. If they want to do something boycott the season and a years pay.- whoops
They will do what they did a few years ago and will all of a sudden get hurt all at once.