Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Patrick Kennedy celebrates substance abuse award by getting cut off at a bar

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 04-30-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A sad story from Washington as Congressman Patrick Kennedy was seen drinking heavily in a bar after accepting an award for his battle against substance abuse.

Roll Call newspaper reported that at 11. p.m on Tuesday Kennedy was seen entering the bar , the Capitol Lounge and taking a seat at the counter.

In the space of a few minutes Kennedy downed six vodka shots and only stopped when the bartender refused to serve him

Earlier in the night, Kennedy had received an award for his work on addiction issues at the annual fundraising dinner for N Street Village, a local charity that helps low-income women battle homelessness and drug addiction.

Kennedy was introduced at the event by his one-time substance abuse sponsor, former Rep. Jim Ramstad (R-Minn.).

He talked about his personal history in his acceptance speech and recalled the late night in 2006 when he crashed his car into a Capitol Hill barricade and was sent to rehab for a prescription drug addiction.
http://www.irishcentral.com/story/ne...-92405599.html

I guess alcohol doesn't count as a drug.
Old 04-30-10, 01:26 PM
X
Administrator

Re: Patrick Kennedy celebrates substance abuse award by getting cut off at a bar

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
I guess alcohol doesn't count as a drug.
It's an essential bodily fluid for a Kennedy.
Old 04-30-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Patrick Kennedy celebrates substance abuse award by getting cut off at a bar

Alcohol "not counting as a drug" is a very common viewpoint.
Old 04-30-10, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So Niall O'Dowd just plagiarized the (impeccably sourced) Roll Call story, except he punched it up a bit because the original lacked that extra frisson of irony?

Originally Posted by Douchebag
Earlier in the night, Kennedy had received an award for his work on addiction issues at the annual fundraising dinner for N Street Village, a local charity that helps low-income women battle homelessness and drug addiction.
Original:
Originally Posted by Roll Call
Earlier in the night, Kennedy received an award for his work on mental health issues at the annual fundraising dinner for N Street Village, a local charity that helps low-income women battle homelessness and drug addiction.
http://www.rollcall.com/issues/55_122/hoh/45587-1.html
Old 04-30-10, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You're right Dork, the 'Douchebag' story is more accurate.
Old 04-30-10, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk God

I just hope the fucker wasn't driving this time. Asshole.
Old 04-30-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
Those gosh-darn Kennedys and their hobo-booze! What a bunch!

There's Schadenfreude in the fact that a family that made it's money from bootleg whiskey can't seem to pour itself out of a bottle.
Old 04-30-10, 03:37 PM
Cool New Member

I ask myself again why Weed isn't legal.
Old 04-30-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cWIREf9p44U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cWIREf9p44U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

I drink and I drive
I'm the only one in my car who gets out alive
Old 04-30-10, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by stc9357 View Post
I ask myself again why Weed isn't legal.
Because of the children?
Old 04-30-10, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Like father, like son.
Old 05-02-10, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Typical politician. Do what I say, not what I do.