Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Healthcare Reform Fallout Already Starting!

Old 04-23-10, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Healthcare Reform Fallout Already Starting!

I have a friend who is a nurse at a local clinic, and she told me they are already getting numerous calls from people asking when they can come in and get free healthcare.

"I'm sorry sir, but we don't offer free services here".

"Sure ya do. Obama just gave us free healthcare."

Gosh, the Obama administration sure did a poor job educating the American public on this healthcare reform. Apparently people think this means that they could just go into any clinic and get treatment now, free of charge! She told me every doctor she knows is so against this bill. It was not a great win for Americans.
Old 04-23-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Healthcare Reform Fallout Already Starting!

I wouldn't blame Heathcare Reform for the fact that a lot of people are just plain fucking stupid.
Old 04-23-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvdaddict32 View Post
Apparently people think this means that they could just go into any clinic and get treatment now, free of charge!
I think opponents of the bill would be as much or more to blame for that particular sentiment.
Old 04-23-10, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
I wouldn't blame Heathcare Reform for the fact that a lot of people are just plain fucking stupid.
Based on his other threads, Mr. Addict has an agenda to grind. Just let him. It's quite amusing.
Old 04-23-10, 01:30 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
But that's why we got healthcare reform.
Old 04-23-10, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvdaddict32 View Post
Gosh, the Obama administration sure did a poor job educating the American public on this healthcare reform. Apparently people think this means that they could just go into any clinic and get treatment now, free of charge! She told me every doctor she knows is so against this bill. It was not a great win for Americans.
This is how it SHOULD have been. And yes, it's not a great win for Americans who have healthcare ... until they DON'T have healthcare. Then it's a win.
Old 04-23-10, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

People without healthcare coverage are just "plain fucking stupid?" Such ignorance.
Old 04-23-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
People without healthcare coverage are just "plain fucking stupid?" Such ignorance.
In fact, it's so ignorant that nobody said it.
Old 04-23-10, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Post #5 implies that.
Old 04-23-10, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At first I was wondering why we needed a separate thread on this, but then I read it and realized how tragic it would be if the insights contained herein were to be lost in the main health care discussion thread.
Old 04-23-10, 02:02 PM

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FikcOmQZgf8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FikcOmQZgf8&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 04-23-10, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I don't think there's much doubt that the message coming from Washington is that if you don't want to work for something you should get it from those who do work for it. So why is it a surprise people feel a sense of entitlement? I don't think it makes them stupid at all.
Old 04-23-10, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So if I work all of my life and lose my job and my healthcare, I don't want to work for it? If I work my whole life and get hit by a car on my bike and get brain damage, I don't want to work for it? If I get laid off when I'm 55 and essentially cannot find employment immediately, I don't want to work for it? Is there any case of receiving healthcare without being employed that would be worthy of your standard?
Old 04-23-10, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

over the years there have been a few threads here how someone's parent or someone close gets sick and doesn't have the money for treatment and how it's suddenly not fair that they paid all these taxes and can't get medical care
Old 04-23-10, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by dork View Post
At first I was wondering why we needed a separate thread on this, but then I read it and realized how tragic it would be if the insights contained herein were to be lost in the main health care discussion thread.
I was going to merge them, but decided against it for this very reason.
Old 04-23-10, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
over the years there have been a few threads here how someone's parent or someone close gets sick and doesn't have the money for treatment and how it's suddenly not fair that they paid all these taxes and can't get medical care
Things can happen to ANY of us at any time which may be life changing. To say it's always someone else is woefully ignorant of the fragility of this life. OK, off my philosophical soapbox.
Old 04-23-10, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I don't think there's much doubt that the message coming from Washington is that if you don't want to work for something you should get it from those who do work for it. So why is it a surprise people feel a sense of entitlement? I don't think it makes them stupid at all.
Old 04-23-10, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
So, if the Wall Street reform bill passes, and people start calling financial institutions wanting to know how to get back all the money they lost in their 401Ks, it would be an intelligent understanding of what's going on?
Old 04-23-10, 06:13 PM
Banned by request

This is how it SHOULD have been. And yes, it's not a great win for Americans who have healthcare ... until they DON'T have healthcare. Then it's a win.
So, it's not a win for Americans who have healthcare...unless they don't have healthcare? Did this bill give us the power to resolve paradoxes or something?
Old 04-23-10, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Yea! 15% of Americans win....by now having to be forced to buy healthcare that will cost them more than it cost before.

Truly that is a "government" win.
Old 04-23-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I blame it all on Letters to God being a bad movie.
Old 04-23-10, 06:59 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Yea! 15% of Americans win....by now having to be forced to buy healthcare that will cost them more than it cost before.

Truly that is a "government" win.
I'm going to be in that boat. My company got bought out and I was offered my position, but not insurance. So now I have a job, no insurance, and have a pre-existing medical condition. So either I pay through the nose for insurance I couldn't afford in the first place, or pay fines (FINES) to the government for not having insurance. Fuck that health bill.
Old 04-23-10, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Winner!!!!
Old 04-23-10, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So if I work all of my life and lose my job and my healthcare, I don't want to work for it? If I work my whole life and get hit by a car on my bike and get brain damage, I don't want to work for it? If I get laid off when I'm 55 and essentially cannot find employment immediately, I don't want to work for it? Is there any case of receiving healthcare without being employed that would be worthy of your standard?
I thought that emergency room's cannot deny patients who are without health insurance.

And of the examples you cited, what percentage of them belong to the 46 million uninsured residing within the United States?

I'm looking into it right now based on the 2006 numbers. 15% of US residents are without health insurance but only 1% of the population don't have it due to pre-conditions.

Even thought it's only 1% of the population it's still an issue that should be discussed.
Old 04-23-10, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Being able to purchase insurance with pre-existing conditions is also a much different debate than forcing all citizens to purchase insurance whether they want it or not. But we had to have the bill the way it was because a shit bill is better than no bill. That will prove to be wrong as well.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.