Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Tax Day rhetoric aside, Americans' bills are lower

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Tax Day rhetoric aside, Americans' bills are lower

Old 04-16-10, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Tax Day rhetoric aside, Americans' bills are lower

Paying 1k.
Oh yeah and while this year might not be that bad, we'll [America we] be paying this off for decades. I fully expect future tax bills to be higher.

Last edited by tonyc3742; 04-16-10 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-16-10, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
What way do I think they are different? It doesn't get any worse than Bush/Cheney. The whole world is better off.
President Obama is starkly different than President Bush when it comes to how he speaks about the American people. Obama continues to remain in an us-vs-them campaign mode with a divisive and dismissive "you are either for me or against me". Bush didn't do that. I can't remember any president doing that.

He seems to only want to be the president of those who agree with him.
Old 04-16-10, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You must have been sleeping through the previous eight years.

The folks who are opposed to Obama's agenda generally feel as you do. It's a sore loser, "what about us" mentality. We felt that way too after 2000. What many fail to realize is that the majority of Americans elected and endorsed Obama's agenda.
Old 04-16-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, he and his cadre are perfectly willing to admit that those who don't agree with him, are wrong, incapable of making the correct decisions, but don't worry, We'll Take Care of You. After all, it's not your fault you're stupid. [you= the 'you' that don't agree with O.]

Sore loser? Right, there was none of that after 2000. Everyone wants their side to win, of course. However, I don't recall the gloating and superiority that we're seeing now, from the winning side in 2000. I don't mind being on the losing side, I think it does the country good to have these swings in the balance of power. I just greatly dislike the way I perceive the president views over half of his constituency, and think that the dividing line between left and right is getting deeper and wider. Also that for all the talk from the left about GWB desecrating the Constitution by, you know, trying to defend the country [which is one of the actual things he's supposed to do], the current administration and congresscritters are doing their utmost to render it totally pointless. Sadly, if you say to the vast majority of people "Here, we'll give you 'free' stuff, and make those evil rich guys pay for it", that is a much more attractive argument than "But none of that is within our constitutional authority, and will mortgage our future for decades to come while hampering the only true generator of wealth."

Last edited by tonyc3742; 04-16-10 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-16-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I felt that way in 2000 and 2008. At least in 2004, I made some decent money on the outcome.

The sad thing about Obama is that on almost all the things he should be better on from my perspective, he isn't. He's about as shitty as I expected on the things I figured he'd be worse on.

Last edited by Red Dog; 04-16-10 at 03:08 PM.
Old 04-16-10, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dtcarson View Post
No, he and his cadre are perfectly willing to admit that those who don't agree with him, are wrong, incapable of making the correct decisions, but don't worry, We'll Take Care of You. After all, it's not your fault you're stupid.
Like the millions of protesters in 2003? Those protests weren't a handful of teabaggers.

Were these people wrong? Stupid? Possibly. But don't act as if the minority party now is absolutely right.
Old 04-16-10, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I felt that way in 2000 and 2008. At least in 2004, I made some decent money on the outcome.

The sad thing about Obama is that on almost all the things he should be better on from my perspective, he isn't. He's about as shitty as I expected on the things I figured he'd be worse on.
But no one would be good enough for you. No one could win office who had your agenda.
Old 04-16-10, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You think the tea party movement is a "handful"? What do you define as a "handful"?
Old 04-16-10, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk God

But no one would be good enough for you. No one could win office who had your agenda.
Thanks for the newsflash. I am a realist - I don't expect someone who shares the vast majority of my views to be able to win office - at least the Presidency. And there are people who are or have been in major office from the GOP and Democratic parties, who, if they ran for President, would be good enough for me.

I'd settle for what we had in 1998.
Old 04-16-10, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
You think the tea party movement is a "handful"? What do you define as a "handful"?
Has there been any tea party protest that even got close to a Feb 2003 anti-Iraq protest? Got even a quarter?
Old 04-16-10, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is so quintessentially American that it's kind of hilarious. It's like if a financial adviser told someone they needed to cut back on their credit card balances. At the end of the year, the person comes back and proudly states that, despite increasing their debt substantially, their monthly payment's gone down slightly because they were able to push some obligations further into the future. The financial adviser says, 'Surely you realize your payments are going to go up down the road, possibly to the point where you can't afford them.' The person says, 'Oh yeah. B...b...but next year my payments are going to go up! Whatever jackass!,' and flips him the bird as he strides out the door.
Old 04-16-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post
This thread is so quintessentially American that it's kind of hilarious. It's like if a financial adviser told someone they needed to cut back on their credit card balances. At the end of the year, the person comes back and proudly states that, despite increasing their debt substantially, their monthly payment's gone down slightly because they were able to push some obligations further into the future. The financial adviser says, 'Surely you realize your payments are going to go up down the road, possibly to the point where you can't afford them.' The person says, 'Oh yeah. B...b...but next year my payments are going to go up! Whatever jackass!,' and flips him the bird as he strides out the door.
Old 04-16-10, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Has there been any tea party protest that even got close to a Feb 2003 anti-Iraq protest? Got even a quarter?
I have no idea what the size of either protests has been. But I don't think the Tea Party is a "handful"
Old 04-16-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Maybe more right-wingers realize that protesting against a President is a futile exercise.
Old 04-16-10, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
I have no idea what the size of either protests has been. But I don't think the Tea Party is a "handful"
Really?

The February 15, 2003 anti-war protest was a coordinated day of protests across the world against the imminent invasion of Iraq. Millions of people protested in approximately 800 cities around the world. According to BBC News, between six and ten million people took part in protests in up to sixty countries over the weekend of the 15th and 16th; other estimates range from eight million to thirty million.[1][2]
Old 04-16-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe more right-wingers realize that protesting against a President is a futile exercise.
Or more right-wingers feel a need to protest over an economic and social agenda because of being sore-losers.
Old 04-16-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me know when they are blocking bridges and storming military recruiting centers out of protest. Then we know they are serious.
Old 04-16-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Really?
really. If it were really a "handful" then why do the Democrats even pay them any attention? why do you even bother calling them teabaggers?
Old 04-16-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Venusian, I don't even know how to respond to you given that you discount my point of the millions who protested the Iraq war. Compared to what gathered in New York in a single day, the tea partiers are a a handful. (Did I call anyone a tea bagger in this thread? I don't recall. Not sure how that plays into anything though.)
Old 04-16-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Venusian, I don't even know how to respond to you given that you discount my point of the millions who protested the Iraq war. Compared to what gathered in New York in a single day, the tea partiers are a a handful. (Did I call anyone a tea bagger in this thread? I don't recall. Not sure how that plays into anything though.)
I think he's asking why do you and Democrats give them so much attention (for example, that thread you started a week or 2 ago) if they are just a 'handful.'
Old 04-16-10, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not discounting it. There were millions who gathered for the protest.

You said:

Like the millions of protesters in 2003? Those protests weren't a handful of teabaggers.
The tea party protests may be smaller than the iraq protests but they still aren't just a "handful" of people.
Old 04-16-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK. I'm not going to argue over what we each qualify as a "handful."
Old 04-16-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So to you, facts are stretching the truth, and "thousands" are a handful.

No wonder you think you win every argument.
Old 04-16-10, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You must have been sleeping through the previous eight years.

The folks who are opposed to Obama's agenda generally feel as you do. It's a sore loser, "what about us" mentality. We felt that way too after 2000. What many fail to realize is that the majority of Americans elected and endorsed Obama's agenda.
You seem to be confusing people's disagreement with Obama's agenda with Obama's remarks regarding those that disagree.

If you can recall a speech by Bush that was as dismissive as Obama's comments yesterday regarding the Tea Party protesters, I'd be interested in seeing that.
Old 04-16-10, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going with C-Cup on this one.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.