Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Harris County deputy starting Anglo officers' group

Old 04-13-10, 01:05 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,352
Harris County deputy starting Anglo officers' group

This oughta be fun:

http://blogs.chron.com/houstonpoliti...open_to_a.html

Harris County sheriff's deputies can join the Mexican American Sheriff's Organization or the Afro-American Sheriff's Deputy League. Now comes the Caucasian Law Enforcement Association, founded two months ago by a deputy who works in the Mission Bend community.

Daniel McCool says his organization is open to members of any race or ethnicity. The difference between the philosophy of his and the other organizations comes down to their approach to equal rights. McCool characterizes the other organizations as promoting equality for all, while the Caucasian group's mantra is "Equal opportunity for all."

McCool decided he needed to form an organization because he is skeptical of the hiring practices of Sheriff Adrian Garcia. Although McCool does not have evidence of wrongdoing, he said he believes some employees have been hired or received plum assignments "just because you know somebody or just because of an affirmative action-type decision." McCool intends to advocate for merit as the primary criterion for hiring and promotion.

His disaffection with the Harris County Deputies Organization, the largest of the sheriff's office employee groups, stems from what McCool considers carelessness in political endorsements. McCool, who describes himself as a conservative Republican, supported former Sheriff Tommy Thomas in the 2008 election, while the organization endorsed Garcia.

This morning McCool is asking for Commissioners Court to authorize direct payroll deductions of $15 monthly association dues for his 30 members. We'll let you know how it turns out.
cdollaz is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 01:11 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Re: Harris County deputy starting Anglo officers' group

What will they do exactly? Have an annual ball with some punch and embarrassing dance "moves?"
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 01:16 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,201
Re: Harris County deputy starting Anglo officers' group

At least they did it right and opened their club thingy to everyone. I think groups like this that only allow certain races (minorities) should be illegal. Because it is racism. Can anyone argue that it isn't?
kvrdave is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 01:20 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
Re: Harris County deputy starting Anglo officers' group

Do any groups allow only certain races?
Venusian is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 01:23 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,614
Re: Harris County deputy starting Anglo officers' group

Last i heard the KKK is not accept blacks.
cpgator is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 01:24 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Re: Harris County deputy starting Anglo officers' group

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Last i heard the KKK is not accept blacks.
That's not true. I heard they often bring one to certain gatherings even, or meet on their lawn.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 01:31 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 36,981
Re: Harris County deputy starting Anglo officers' group

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Last i heard the KKK is not accept blacks.
What about Clayton Bigsby?
Venusian is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 03:06 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Millville, New Jersey
Posts: 2,945
Re: Harris County deputy starting Anglo officers' group

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
At least they did it right and opened their club thingy to everyone. I think groups like this that only allow certain races (minorities) should be illegal. Because it is racism. Can anyone argue that it isn't?
I agree it's racism, but just about everybody has their own group.
Nobody said anything negative about the other groups
so nobody should say anything negative about this one.
JOE29 is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 03:12 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Re: Harris County deputy starting Anglo officers' group

Originally Posted by JOE29 View Post
I agree it's racism, but just about everybody has their own group.
Nobody said anything negative about the other groups
so nobody should say anything negative about this one.
So saying "it's racism" isn't saying anything negative?
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 03:26 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Land of the Lobstrosities
Posts: 10,300
Re: Harris County deputy starting Anglo officers' group

Sounds like a stupid racist. He may have a valid issue regarding the hiring and promotion practices of the department, but creating a Caucasian group is a stupid way to go about addressing the issue.
wmansir is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 03:49 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Hoboken, NJ
Posts: 3,068
Re: Harris County deputy starting Anglo officers' group

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
At least they did it right and opened their club thingy to everyone. I think groups like this that only allow certain races (minorities) should be illegal. Because it is racism. Can anyone argue that it isn't?
In general I don't see why a private club shouldn't be able to choose their members however they see fit.

Obviously since we're talking about police officers (or any public 'servants') the rules for allowed discrimination should be more severe. The government shouldn't be in the business of defining special privileges based on race.

Also, Officer McCool might be the greatest name ever.
Birrman54 is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 03:56 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Re: Harris County deputy starting Anglo officers' group

Originally Posted by Birrman54 View Post
Also, Officer McCool might be the greatest name ever.
That's his street name. His full name is Herbert Dillwad McGoober.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 04:24 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DeputyDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 14,081
Re: Harris County deputy starting Anglo officers' group

Originally Posted by wmansir View Post
Sounds like a stupid racist. He may have a valid issue regarding the hiring and promotion practices of the department, but creating a Caucasian group is a stupid way to go about addressing the issue.
No, I think its great. Using parody to call attention to the absurd.
DeputyDave is offline  
Old 04-13-10, 04:31 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,442
Re: Harris County deputy starting Anglo officers' group

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
No, I think its great. Using parody to call attention to the absurd.


Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
That's his street name. His full name is Herbert Dillwad McGoober.
That's the second greatest name ever!
General Zod is offline  
Old 04-18-10, 01:53 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 706
Re: Harris County deputy starting Anglo officers' group

Why is this even news?

There's already an Irish American Police Police Officer's Association, or an Italian-American Police Association. Heck, there's even a Portuguese-American Police Association.
Are Mexican-American and Black LEOs not entitled to be proud of their heritage?

I'm pretty sure if Officer McCool wanted to join an Officer's Association that represented his heritage he could find one.
Or maybe he's an attention whore.
I.Flores is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.