Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

US government accepting voluntary payments to reduce debt

Old 04-12-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

US government accepting voluntary payments to reduce debt

link

this is a great idea for people who don't want to see the government reduce spending.

put your money where your mouth is.
Old 04-12-10, 09:50 AM

Re: US government accepting voluntary payments to reduce debt

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
this is a great idea for people who don't want to see the government reduce spending.
And by that I guess you mean almost every single person in the country?
Old 04-12-10, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
You think every single person in the country doesn't want to see the government reduce spending?
Old 04-12-10, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Actually, I believe most people favor slashing foreign aid. Plus, as a thread here proved the other day, a significant number of DVDTalkers believe we can just slash our budget by some arbitrary percentage (I think 30% was the number being thrown around).
Old 04-12-10, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Actually, I believe most people favor slashing foreign aid. Plus, as a thread here proved the other day, a significant number of DVDTalkers believe we can just slash our budget by some arbitrary percentage (I think 30% was the number being thrown around).
It was 10%. Sorry. I didn't go into line by line detail. I guess I shouldn't have figured that some DVDTalkers could have assumed that it was simply a rough estimate and starting point (in a casual discussion forum) rather than the entirety of the proposal.

As for this, I fully expect JasonF to be the first to donate. Start with some of that money you throw at Illinois Democrats outside your district.
Old 04-12-10, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
You think every single person in the country doesn't want to see the government reduce spending?
No, almost every single person:

Old 04-12-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
As for this, I fully expect JasonF to be the first to donate. Start with some of that money you throw at Illinois Democrats outside your district.
Why do you think I would be the first? There are posters here who spend far more time than I do talking about how our debt is unsustainable. This is their chance to reduce that debt.
Old 04-12-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk God

I notice that poll doesn't say federal gov't spending. Now I can assume that's what it means, but your carbon blob can't do that. I think you'd get very different answers on education and other things if you specifically had 'federal' in there.

edit: nevermind....I see it says federal later on in the question.

Last edited by Red Dog; 04-12-10 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-12-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Why do you think I would be the first? There are posters here who spend far more time than I do talking about how our debt is unsustainable. This is their chance to reduce that debt.
Because you believe in more aggressive taxation to alleviate the debt. This is your chance to voluntarily tax yourself to help alleviate the debt.

In contrast, I don't think taxes should be raised, so why should I voluntarily tax myself. I believe in reducing spending to alleviate the debt.

But you are right about one thing - others talk about unsustainable debt more. Obama and his fans don't seem to care about that....well, so long as he gets his 8 years. Save the problem for the next guy and so on.
Old 04-12-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's unsustainable because if we continue on this path, we can't pay off the debt. In coming years we're going to have huge tax increases, and because the economy has taken a huge hit already it's going to slow down again. And then you'll see another Republican president running on a pro-business platform to slash taxes and start the debt cycle all over again.
Old 04-12-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How about collecting on the debts others countries owe us? Thats a good start.
Old 04-12-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is this deja vu? Wasn't this posted like 6 times already?

It's like the local school district. The citizenry is up in arms about the continued school tax increases year after year and they demand action. But then when the school district proposes their slashed budget, auditoriums are filled with angry citizens DEMANDING that the cut programs and staff be reinstated. A lot of bluster but no conviction.
Old 04-12-10, 10:34 AM

I notice that poll doesn't say federal gov't spending. Now I can assume that's what it means, but your carbon blob can't do that. I think you'd get very different answers on education and other things if you specifically had 'federal' in there.
That's a good point, but I have a better one, IMO. Almost all polls of this sort 'rotate' poll questions, so respondents aren't asked questions in the same order. However, doing a little research on YouGov, I found out they are an internet only polling group. This being the case it's very likely that the respondents filled out the poll with the questions in the same order. Since several of the first programs listed are Federal programs and strongly identified as such in the minds of the American people, I find it very hard to believe that, in that context, people would not assume that each category referred to Federal spending.
Old 04-12-10, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk God

30%. Wow, that is a lot to cut. No way they could live with the same amount as they did in what....2007?

It's draconian. We wouldn't ask anyone to live with that amount.
Old 04-12-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
30%. Wow, that is a lot to cut. No way they could live with the same amount as they did in what....2007?
Ouch.
Old 04-12-10, 03:08 PM
Banned by request

I thought that this was going to be a program where you donate to the government and then they forgive debts you owe. I would do that. I pay $1,000 and in turn the government has a creditor forgive $2,000.
Old 04-12-10, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post

It's draconian. We wouldn't ask anyone to live with that amount.
That's the trouble with budgets. When they're starting to shrink, it's usually because of bankruptcy.
Old 04-12-10, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe in reducing spending to alleviate the debt.
You sir are a fsucking genius! What year are you running for office? I think after Obama, just about ANYONE (with the exception of Palin) is electable

The US is clearly on an unsustainable path, health care may be the final straw and if it isn't, cap and trade will be

I pay enough, I would ask nicely that anyone in the 47% that didn't pay shit, but instead gained money from credits, kindly send that money back. Yeah, I know, it's already spent on weed, beer, lotto tickets and smokes

and also that UAW workers send in the difference of their paycheck between what the market would pay for their job and what the union has inflated their pay to

Last edited by 4KRG; 04-12-10 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-12-10, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Plus, as a thread here proved the other day, a significant number of DVDTalkers believe we can just slash our budget by some arbitrary percentage (I think 30% was the number being thrown around).
That number doesn't sound exact enough so let's not cut anything!
Old 04-12-10, 07:31 PM
Banned by request

I still love how you talk about budget cuts like only a TOTALLY CRAZY person could even conceive of them.
Old 04-12-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I will go for 50%

Originally Posted by 4KRG View Post
I think after Obama, just about ANYONE (with the exception of Palin) is electable
Well if we had Palin, at least we would have some eye candy to stay pissed at all the time

Last edited by BKenn01; 04-12-10 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-12-10, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Do you disagree with the fact that it is unstainable?
Old 04-12-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Reality - there's no hope. It will take something of catastrophic proportions to get folks to put enough pressure on the congress & the WH to do something about the debt.
Old 04-12-10, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Reality - there's no hope. It will take something of catastrophic proportions to get folks to put enough pressure on the congress & the WH to do something about the debt.
Yep, and that includes the Tea Party gang. Start talking about cutting SS and Medicare and see how serious they are about reducing government.......
Old 04-12-10, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
I still love how you talk about budget cuts like only a TOTALLY CRAZY person could even conceive of them.
No, I talk about them like they are not the be-all and end-all of a solution to the budget crisis. If our budget is overweight, then budget cuts are the equivalent of cutting calories. If all you do is cut calories -- without adding exercise -- then you're not serious about losing weight.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.