Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

The 2010 UK General Election

Old 05-12-10, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 2010 UK General Election

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Cameron is the new P.M. as it looks like there's going to be a Tory-LD alliance. That should be interesting. I might have to start watching PMQ again - does CSPAN still air it late Sunday night? I actually stopped watching when Cameron replaced Michael Howard (who I thought was hilarious).
Yes and it also airs live early on Wednesday mornings.

I have to wonder if the LibDems will be asking soft questions during this alliance. I suspect they will play nice in the short term until some controversy shakes things up.
Old 05-12-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, Samantha Cameron is really pretty.
Old 05-12-10, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
OK, Samantha Cameron is really pretty.
She is, but no disrespect intended ... she barely cracks the top five of hottest G8 First Ladies.
Old 05-13-10, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Following up on my mostly own off-topic post, I now go completely off-topic:

Michelle Obama and Carla Bruni-Sarkozy: Saucy state secrets

Ever wonder what high-level national leaders talk about in private?

According to a forthcoming book obtained by ABC News, French first lady Carla Bruni-Sarkozy once told U.S. counterpart Michelle Obama a story that lends a whole new meaning to the term 'international relations.'

Bruni-Sarkozy said she and French President Nicolas Sarkozy once kept an unnamed head of state waiting while they had sex, the book says.

"Bruni wanted to know if, like the Sarkozys, Michelle and the President had ever kept anyone waiting that way," author Jonathan Alter writes. "Michelle laughed nervously and said no."

Alter's book -- The Promise: President Obama, Year One -- is to be released next week.

(Posted by David Jackson)
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...tate-secrets/1
Old 06-03-10, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Some Monty Python-inspired Tory bashing of the LDs from the wayback machine.

Old 06-09-10, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Watched PMQ today. Good stuff. Cameron has got some good energy, although it helps when someone from the opposition asks about some entitlement and he replies you had 13 years to address that. He schooled the acting Labor leader broad. Good discussion of some civil liberty issues too....I'd love to see Obama grilled on that. He could use a grilling since all he's done on that front positively is briefly bitch and have a beer with a police officer and black professor.

And they ended up with Cameron assuring the House that the flag of St. George would fly over 10 Downing St. for the duration of the World Cup....at no additional cost to the taxpayer.
Old 07-14-10, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Cameron continues to be very entertaining as PM during question time. Labour needs to find a new leader because Cameron has been schooling their acting leader, Harriet Harmon, continually in PM Questions.
Old 07-21-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Interesting PMQ today. You had Nick Clegg (the Lib Dem Dep. PM, standing in for Cameron who is visiting the US) representing the coalition gov't from a minority position. Then you also had someone new, Jack Straw, representing Labour.

Things got much snippier than usual too - the Speaker had to jump in multiple times to settle things down.
Old 07-22-10, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Interesting PMQ today. You had Nick Clegg (the Lib Dem Dep. PM, standing in for Cameron who is visiting the US) representing the coalition gov't from a minority position.
Evidently he, um, "mis-spoke" a little.

Clegg backtracks after declaring Iraq war illegal
Old 03-04-11, 10:00 AM

There was a by-election yesterday in the constituency of Barnsley Central. To put it bluntly, the LibDems got the shit kicked out of them.

<a href = "http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/byelection/8361265/Barnsley-Central-by-election-Nick-Clegg-laments-bad-result-for-Lib-Dems.html">Barnsley Central by-election: Nick Clegg laments 'bad result' for Lib Dems</a>

They went from 17% of the vote last year, down to 4%.

Figure 1. The obligatory graph.

Oh, where is Barnsley Central? It's here:

Figure 2. The bloody, beating heart of South Yorkshire.