Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Government set to unveil offshore drilling plan (...now Horizon Oil Spill)

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 03-31-10, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk God

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62T06520100330

(Reuters) - The Obama administration is expected to announce by Wednesday its updated plan for oil and natural gas drilling in U.S. waters, including whether to allow exploration for the first time along the U.S. East Coast.

The plan could pave the way for a significant new domestic source of energy, helping to reduce U.S. dependence on oil imports and boost supplies of natural gas used to displace coal in power plants as the country works to reduce emissions of climate-changing greenhouse gases.

Last month, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar said he wanted to release the updated drilling plan by the end of March.

Two industry sources said on Monday President Barack Obama was expected to give a speech about energy security on Wednesday, which could include his views on expansion of offshore drilling.

The Interior Department and White House declined comment on Monday on whether Obama would speak to the issue in a speech slated for mid-morning on Wednesday at Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland.

The administration has been weighing the pros and cons of offshore drilling since it took office and put the brakes on a Bush-era proposal that called for drilling along the East Coast and off the coast of California.

For more than 20 years, drilling was banned in most offshore areas of the United States outside the Gulf of Mexico because of concerns spills could harm the environment.

Congress allowed the prohibition to expire in 2008 and former President George W. Bush lifted a drilling moratorium that year.

Environmental groups and some lawmakers continue to raise concerns about the impact increased drilling would have on coastal areas.

But Obama, who wants Congress to move a stalled climate change bill, has sought to reach out to Republicans by signaling he is open to allowing offshore drilling, providing coastlines are protected.

The U.S. Geological Survey estimates the U.S. Atlantic coast waters may hold 37 trillion cubic feet of gas and nearly 4 billion barrels of oil, while the Pacific Coast has 10.5 billion barrels of oil and 18 trillion cubic feet of gas.

To put that in context, the United States imports about 2 billion barrels of oil a year from OPEC nations and is expected to import 2.7 trillion cubic feet of natural gas from all sources this year, according to the Energy Department.

The administration's plan is expected to spell out whether and when drilling will be allowed in 3 million acres off the Virginia coast.

The Bush administration had proposed leasing the Virginia tracts to energy companies and said the government would receive bids for the leases in November 2011.

However, a senior Interior official told an oil industry conference in January that drilling off Virginia's coast would definitely be delayed past the original 2011 leasing date.

The proposed Virginia lease area, located about 50 miles from shore, may hold 130 million barrels of oil and 1.14 trillion cubic feet of natural gas.

The possible delay in drilling off Virginia's coast has been criticized by the state's new governor, Republican Bob McDonnell, and two U.S. senators eager for the state to tap into the jobs and royalties that come with exploration.

A spokeswoman for McDonnell said his office has not been told the updated drilling plan would be announced on Wednesday.
Don't know what to think of this. I can't believe Obama thinks this will gain him support on cap and trade stuff. And politically it seems bad to piss off the religious earth hippies for no real gain.

Obviously, this was terrible when Bush wanted it, but what will an Obama supporter say? Are they to feel betrayed, or will they actually recognize that this would be great for the economy (eventually) and demonstrate that we actually have a desire to have an energy policy?

Frankly, I think Obama will screw this up.
Old 03-31-10, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Government set to unveil offshore drilling plan

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Frankly, I think Obama will screw this up.
I agree. Now let me go read what he's planning so I know to what degree it sucks.
Old 03-31-10, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk God

I applaud the president's plan - at least part of it. I don't like his refusal to allow drilling in certain areas of Alaska.

I'll believe it when I see off-shore rigs in the Eastern Gulf and off the Atlantic Coast.
Old 03-31-10, 08:55 AM

The article makes it sound like he is trying to tie it into the climate change/cap'n'trade bill. If it is a stand alone thing I'll probably be for it, have to see the details first. If it is being used to buy votes (or a 'look we threw the Reps a bone and they didn't bark for us' sort of thing) then I'll probably be against it. Have to know the details first though...
Old 03-31-10, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by nemein View Post
The article makes it sound like he is trying to tie it into the climate change/cap'n'trade bill. If it is a stand alone thing I'll probably be for it, have to see the details first. If it is being used to buy votes (or a 'look we threw the Reps a bone and they didn't bark for us' sort of thing) then I'll probably be against it. Have to know the details first though...
If it is a 'stand alone thing' I don't care what his motives are. I'm in favor.

It's my understanding that he will allow drilling the second most productive area - the Eastern Gulf. Unfortunately, not included, is the most productive area - Alaska.
Old 03-31-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, this seems to go against everything Obama and his supporters stood for during the election campaign.

This would be a shocking development if it stood alone, I am sure cap and trade will somehow play a part.

This article

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36110038...oil_and_energy

had this blurb in the bottom of it:

And on Thursday, the Environmental Protection Agency and the Transportation Department are to sign a final rule that requires increased fuel efficiency standards for new cars.

This

The new rules will require a fleet fuel efficiency standard of 35.5 miles per gallon by model year 2016, a big jump from the 2009 model year requirement of 25 mpg.
possibly increase the supply of oil, drive down the demand for gas, should be interesting to see what happens.
Old 03-31-10, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Fucking Obama!
Old 03-31-10, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Drill baby, drill!
Old 03-31-10, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk God

Quote:
And on Thursday, the Environmental Protection Agency and the Transportation Department are to sign a final rule that requires increased fuel efficiency standards for new cars

The auto manufacturers will apply for an extension. An extension will be granted.
Old 03-31-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Fucking Obama!
I'm also favor it because it pisses off the radical environmentalists. Anything that can piss them off can't be bad.
Old 03-31-10, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Obama has been talking about drilling while he was campaigning, many of his supporters though were hoping that he was just saying this to appease the republicans, and not actually do it once he got into power. They are irritated now.
Old 03-31-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I'm also favor it because it pisses off the radical environmentalists. Anything that can piss them off can't be bad.
My post was a joke. I could care less about the issue. But I have learned that everything Obama does is bad as evidenced by this thread.
Old 03-31-10, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

They said they would be simply furious if you gave yourself an atomic wedgie.
Old 03-31-10, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If it is a 'stand alone thing' I don't care what his motives are. I'm in favor.

It's my understanding that he will allow drilling the second most productive area - the Eastern Gulf. Unfortunately, not included, is the most productive area - Alaska.

It is my understanding that the northern part of the state is the most productive area, and that Bristol Bay -- where drilling will not be allowed -- is not particularly oil-rich.
Old 03-31-10, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It is my understanding that the Johnston Expedition did drill in Bristol's protected area and found it quite fertile.

Last edited by dork; 03-31-10 at 12:15 PM. Reason: OCD
Old 03-31-10, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 03-31-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
It is my understanding that the northern part of the state is the most productive area, and that Bristol Bay -- where drilling will not be allowed -- is not particularly oil-rich.
(Lease sales in Alaska's Chukchi and Beaufort Seas are essentially being suspended pending further scientific review.)
Old 03-31-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So are we preparing for a war with Iran?
Old 03-31-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by parrotheads4 View Post
So are we preparing for a war with Iran?
Obviously...
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/politics-wo...rontation.html
Old 03-31-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

So N. of ANWR is okay, but 5 miles inland in baren tundra is not. Stupid, but it's a start.
Old 03-31-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe they could do that sideways drilling thing from the Beaufort Sea to get at ANWR's oil?

Old 03-31-10, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So N. of ANWR is okay, but 5 miles inland in baren tundra is not. Stupid, but it's a start.
No, it's just plain stupid.

It's ironic that people who pride themselves on seeing through CAGW propaganda fall for the oil company propaganda.

Obama plays both crowds like a fiddle to get what he wants.
Old 03-31-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
No, it's just plain stupid.

It's ironic that people who pride themselves on seeing through CAGW propaganda fall for the oil company propaganda.

Obama plays both crowds like a fiddle to get what he wants.
It's stupid because we shouldn't drill there? You lost me.
Old 03-31-10, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Maybe they could do that sideways drilling thing from the Beaufort Sea to get at ANWR's oil?

Drainage! Drainage, Eli, you boy. Drained dry. I'm so sorry. Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
Old 03-31-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's stupid because we shouldn't drill there? You lost me.
It's the peyote talking...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.