Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Downturn hits Social Security

Old 03-25-10, 07:37 AM

Downturn hits Social Security

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/...8231269494776/

WASHINGTON, March 25 (UPI) -- Social Security payouts will exceed payroll tax revenues in 2010 because of the economic downturn, U.S. officials said.

The milestone had been expected to arrive in 2016 but the Congressional Budget Office says the recession has resulted in falling revenue due to persistent unemployment and larger than expected payments because many Americans, thrown out of work unexpectedly, have applied for Social Security benefits sooner than they had planned, The New York Times reported Tuesday.

Stephen C. Goss, chief actuary of the Social Security Administration, said the change will not affect benefits in 2010 and retirees will receive their checks without interruption.

Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan -- a leading figure in the plan to solve Social Security's projected difficulty two decades ago -- told the Times if the Social Security "trust fund gets to zero, you have to cut benefits."

Current projections suggest the system will not reach insolvency until about 2037, the newspaper said.

Although the current situation is not as critical as the one Greenspan is credited with helping fix in the 1980s, he said "very much the same issues exist today."

"Because of the size of the contraction in economic activity, unless we get an immediate and sharp recovery, the revenues of the trust fund will be tracking lower for a number of years," Greenspan said.
So is this just another bump on the road or the beginning of the end of social security?
Old 03-25-10, 08:30 AM
Banned

Re: Downturn hits Social Security

Originally Posted by nemein View Post

So is this just another bump on the road or the beginning of the end of social security?
Actually, this is great news for me. The odds of my still being alive in 2037 are almost nil (especially since the new Health Care rationing rules will have long before kicked in due to my age).

Therefore, I win!

FDR was a genius & I should never have disparaged his plan for taking care of me.
Old 03-25-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by nemein View Post

It's a year earlier than predicted.
Old 03-25-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The 'beginning of the end' of SS was a good number of years back.
Old 03-25-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Social Security isn't going anywhere. The feds will sell oil and strip mining leases inside Yellowstone and Yosemite parks before one Social Security receiptient doesn't get a check.
Old 03-25-10, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Social Security isn't going anywhere. The feds will sell oil and strip mining leases inside Yellowstone and Yosemite parks before one Social Security receiptient doesn't get a check.
Old 03-25-10, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
It's a year earlier than predicted.
The article says 2016...
Old 03-25-10, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Then I hope it gets into serious trouble. That would be the only way to get the Democrats to look at a serious energy policy.
Old 03-25-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Good grief kvr...
Old 03-25-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You laugh, but yellowstone is the key to eliminating our reliance on foreign oil. Force that bad boy to erupt and harness the energy, that's what I say.