Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Health Care discussion continues - part 8

Old 03-23-10, 09:29 AM

Health Care discussion continues - part 8

Continued from here http://forum.dvdtalk.com/politics-wo...-part-vii.html
Old 03-23-10, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Health Care discussion continues - part 8

don't know about everyone else, but after paying for health insurance after 7 years of marriage and adding up all the costs that it has paid out, my wife and i are well ahead
Old 03-23-10, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Compare the costs of paying for an appendectomy out of pocket to the cost of insurance premiums for several years.

Which is cheaper?
I'd venture to guess that that procedure would cost around $30,000 easy. I personally would have to pay my premium for 44 years to pay more in premiums than that one procedure (given my premium stay static).
Old 03-23-10, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I'd venture to guess that that procedure would cost around $30,000 easy. I personally would have to pay my premium for 44 years to pay more in premiums than that one procedure (given my premium stay static).
That's you. That's not everybody else. If someone calculates the probability of something drastic happening so quickly that you don't have time to get a policy multiplied by the cost of medical care for that procedure to the probability of paying premiums (100%) multiplied by the cost of premiums, for many people, it's a no-brainer to not have insurance.

And that's especially true for things that aren't so sudden.

Old system:
1) I have insurance, then I get cancer - I'm covered
2) I have no insurance, then I get cancer - I'm shit out of luck

New system:
I have no insurance, then I get cancer, then I get insurance - no worries, I can't get denied.

And if you really don't believe people will forgo insurance, pay the small (possibly not-enforced) fine and wait until they get sick to open up a policy, go check out the Hot Deals forum, where people will brag about actively defrauding a company to save fifty cents.

Last edited by RoyalTea; 03-23-10 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-23-10, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

People can get an insurance plan for under $700 a year? Why all the fuss over the cost of health care?
Old 03-23-10, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Most health issues that require hospitalization are sudden and unexpected. You are living in a fantasy world.

Although I do agree with you on your last point. There is no panacea for douchebaggedness.
Old 03-23-10, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post
People can get an insurance plan for under $700 a year? Why all the fuss over the cost of health care?
Sure, if you go to work in the public sector.
Old 03-23-10, 10:22 AM

Most health issues that require hospitalization are sudden and unexpected. You are living in a fantasy world.

Although I do agree with you on your last point. There is no panacea for douchebaggedness.
Under this new scheme though even once you are in the hospital you can apply for and get insurance though right? So your initial/first day might not be covered but ongoing care is going to be and to pay for it insurance companies are again going to pass that cost on to everyone. Actually come to think of it since you are going to have people that are going to "opt-out" so to speak you're still going to have the problem of uninsured people going to the emergency room looking for help. So what have we really solved w/ this bill
Old 03-23-10, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If I get sick, injured or hospitalized, an insurance company can no longer deny issuing me a policy for that sickness or injury. That's the "fantasy" world in which I live.
Old 03-23-10, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

have you read the exact law or are you paraphrasing what you saw on the internet?
Old 03-23-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I punctured my finger on a nail last night. Can I wait until 2014 to get a tetanus shot?
Old 03-23-10, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nemein View Post
Under this new scheme though even once you are in the hospital you can apply for and get insurance though right?
No, everyone will be required to carry insurance. There will be no "gotcha" insurance applications.
Old 03-23-10, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
No, everyone will be required to carry insurance. There will be no "gotcha" insurance applications.
Carry insurance or pay the fine, which may or may not be enforced? That's what everyone has been saying (both those for and against) I haven't dug into the bill itself to verify it for myself though...
Old 03-23-10, 11:12 AM

I love it... even http://www.healthreform.gov/index.html the supposed Gov't website setup for this whole thing doesn't seem to have a copy of the bill/law anywhere on it. At least that I can find, if someone can find it please post the link.
Old 03-23-10, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Sure, if you go to work in the public sector.
And don't have kids Family policies are expensive no matter where you go (unless your employer picks up the tab).

Also, why is it that so many people (Not you CRM) donít understand the basic concept that insurance is about risk transfer. You are paying to transfer the risk of financial loss to the company. You are not automatically behind if you donít have a loss. You still had less risk during the policy period.
Old 03-23-10, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Under this new scheme though even once you are in the hospital you can apply for and get insurance though right? So your initial/first day might not be covered but ongoing care is going to be and to pay for it insurance companies are again going to pass that cost on to everyone. Actually come to think of it since you are going to have people that are going to "opt-out" so to speak you're still going to have the problem of uninsured people going to the emergency room looking for help. So what have we really solved w/ this bill
The more I think about it, I am not so sure what you are saying is correct. Did the bill that was passed restrict the premiums an insurance company can charge an individual w/ a pre-existing condition? Last I checked the various departments of insurance OK rates in their states. It is possible that insurance companies will be allowed to charge the loafers far more than they can afford for a policy.
Old 03-23-10, 11:21 AM

It is possible that insurance companies will be allowed to charge the loafers far more than they can afford for a policy.
I thought that was one of the "excesses" of the insurance companies that was going to be reigned in... maybe/maybe not... as several have mentioned no one really seems to know (including a lot of those people who just voted for this) what is in this bill
Old 03-23-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought that was one of the "excesses" of the insurance companies that was going to be reigned in... maybe/maybe not... as several have mentioned no one really seems to know (including a lot of those people who just voted for this) what is in this bill
Don't worry, we'll find out soon enough
Old 03-23-10, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I love it... even http://www.healthreform.gov/index.html the supposed Gov't website setup for this whole thing doesn't seem to have a copy of the bill/law anywhere on it. At least that I can find, if someone can find it please post the link.
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...TE+20100321%29

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.+3590:

Last edited by al_bundy; 03-23-10 at 11:37 AM.
Old 03-23-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
And don't have kids Family policies are expensive no matter where you go (unless your employer picks up the tab).
We are a family of three.
Old 03-23-10, 11:37 AM

Which bill number though? There's a few health care reform bills in there since all of them were logged right? Is it HR3200?
Old 03-23-10, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
Don't worry, we'll find out soon enough
I'm not even sure about that... I suspect we are going to be finding nuggets/surprises in this thing for many years to come.
Old 03-23-10, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

if you read the text the HHS secretary is going to create an uninsured pool and will have a lot of say in the details of how it's administered
Old 03-23-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Which bill number though? There's a few health care reform bills in there since all of them were logged right? Is it HR3200?

the last one says the combined house/senate version that the house approved
Old 03-23-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...QJCEmQ:e81840:

looks like this is the text

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.