Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Will someone call for Obama's impeachment?

Old 03-23-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Re: Will someone call for Obama's impeachment?

It wil be a touch hard to impeach him since the House is firmly in the hands of the Democrats.
Old 03-23-10, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
It wil be a touch hard to impeach him since the House is firmly in the hands of the Democrats.
Chance of success weighs little here.
Old 03-23-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Judging by the Fox pundits you seem to like so much, the Dems will get swept out of Congress in massive numbers. Only six months until your dreams come true.
Old 03-23-10, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
You wouldn't be surprised? He just won the Presidency 16 months ago by a comfortable margin and is still popular.
16 months in politics is a lifetime. Hell, it's two lifetimes.

He's not popular. Less than half of Americans approve of his presidency.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...or-first-time/

46% approval. He's not popular. And this is CNN, so it's at least semi-unbiased.

He wouldn't be reelected if the election were today. And good for him that it isn't.
Old 03-23-10, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh View Post
46% approval. He's not popular. And this is CNN, so it's at least semi-unbiased.

He wouldn't be reelected if the election were today.
He probably would. Generally speaking, a 45% approval is just about enough to get re-elected.
Old 03-23-10, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If Obama resolves Gitmo, has troop levels declining in Afghanistan, and the economy is showing signs of improvement, he wins. He has a lot of time there.

I'm assuming Iraq will be a done deal, as all indications are showing as much.

I'm also assuming he bags a new Nobel prize each year and scores the Winter Olympics for his buddies in Munich for 2018. If he fails to do so, this thing is up for grabs.
Old 03-23-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
He probably would. Generally speaking, a 45% approval is just about enough to get re-elected.
Maybe ordinarily, but there would be a likely massive anti-Obama vote and plenty of folks coming out that wouldn't ordinarily to vote him out.
Old 03-23-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There will be an anti-Obama vote, that's a given. But will there also be a unifying candidate to compete?
Old 03-23-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson View Post
There will be an anti-Obama vote, that's a given. But will there also be a unifying candidate to compete?
Old 03-23-10, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think with Obama, it will REALLY be "the economy, stupid". If the economy rebounds and things are looking up, his agenda won't seem so frightening to people when it comes to reelection. If not, it'll be pitchforks and torches time.
Old 03-23-10, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk God

16 months in politics is a lifetime. Hell, it's two lifetimes.

He's not popular. Less than half of Americans approve of his presidency.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...or-first-time/

He wouldn't be reelected if the election were today. And good for him that it isn't.

He's popular with CRM.
Old 03-23-10, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

He's lucky his relection is so far off. If he gets people back to work, and home values to rise again, I wouldn't be surprised if he was.
That's what the Bush Admin did.

Then it all came crashing down a little earlier than planned.
Old 03-23-10, 10:58 PM

Maybe ordinarily, but there would be a likely massive anti-Obama vote and plenty of folks coming out that wouldn't ordinarily to vote him out.
You're probably right. I think Obama is probably the first president who wasn't universally loved by the American people.
Old 03-24-10, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
You're probably right. I think Obama is probably the first president who wasn't universally loved by the American people.
You confuse the issue. Plenty of presidents have been disliked (HW) but not many have been hated (W). There are lots, and lots, and lots of folks who hate Obama. Personally.

You may doubt it, but hate drives peoples to the polls more than anything else - they hate taxes, they hate war, they hate abortion/prolife, etc. Malaise and dislikes doesn't do it.

Last edited by DVD Josh; 03-24-10 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-24-10, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Double double toil and trouble?

GOP Lawmaker Darrell Issa Poised to Call for Special Prosecutor to Investigate White House
(Credit: CBS)

Rep. Darrell Issa, the top Republican on the House Oversight committee, told CBS News Wednesday that he will call for a special prosecutor to investigate the White House if it does not address Rep. Joe Sestak's claim that he was offered a federal job in exchange for dropping out of the Pennsylvania Senate primary.

"If the public doesn't receive a satisfactory answer, the next step would be to call for a special prosecutor, which is well within the statute," Issa (pictured) told Hotsheet.

The California Republican has been pushing for the White House to provide details of conversations between Sestak and administration officials in the wake of Sestak's comment during a radio interview last month that he was offered a high-ranking administration job in exchange for dropping his primary challenge against Sen. Arlen Specter.

Asked if that job was secretary of the Navy, Sestak declined to comment. His press secretary told CBS News that the lawmaker stands by his original statement that he was offered the job in exchange for an administration post. Sestak did not drop out of the race.

On March 10th, Issa sent a letter to White House lawyer Robert Bauer asking for details about communications between Sestak and the White House. In the letter, he pointed to statutes he said could have been violated if Sestak was offered a quid pro quo arrangement in which he would be given an administration job in exchange for leaving the race.

Issa said the move may have violated anti-bribery provisions of the federal criminal code as well as prohibitions on government officials interfering in elections and using federal jobs for a political purpose. Violation of each provision is punishable by up to one year in jail.

The White House did not respond to Issa's letter by its March 18 deadline. Reporters have asked White House press secretary Robert Gibbs about the inquiry on six occasions.

On February 23rd, Gibbs said he had not looked into the matter. On March 1st, he said he had not made any progress on it. On March 9th, he said he did not have an update with him. On March 11th, he said he did not have anything additional on the matter. On March 12th, he said he did not have any more information on it.

On March 16th, Gibbs finally addressed the situation.

"Look, I've talked to several people in the White House; I've talked to people that have talked to others in the White House," he said. "I'm told that whatever conversations have been had are not problematic."

On Monday, Issa issued a second letter asking who Gibbs had spoken to about the matter and the basis for his comment that the interactions between the White House and Sestak were not problematic.

In the letter, Issa said that Gibbs' comments that he is "collecting direct evidence from witnesses" implies "that the White House is allowing its communications staff to carry out investigative tasks ordinarily conducted by legal professionals in the Counsel's office. Such slipshodness has all the makings of a cover up."

In an interview Wednesday, Issa stood by the notion that the White House is engaged in a cover up.

"I believe not answering our questions when in fact they have asked and gotten them answered" meets the standard for a cover up, he said. He compared the Obama White House to that of former President Richard Nixon and said it was not living up to its promises of transparency.

"Democrats, when they were not in the White House, had real objections to that idea of, 'whatever I want to do is OK,'" he said, referencing objections to Bush administration policy. "The public has a right to know who asked what, when. A congressman has made an allegation that is likely a felony."

Issa said that if he doesn't receive "satisfactory answers" to his letter by its April 5th deadline, "then the next step would be to call for a special prosecutor to investigate."

He said it is now "a lot easier" for the White House to respond because Gibbs "has the raw information that we asked for." Asked if he expected his call for a special prosecutor to be answered, Issa said, "I'm a practicing Christian, I have always believed in the redemption of souls." He said that if the issue generates enough publicity Democrats may feel forced to appoint a prosecutor out of "the fear of the voters."

Issa said that while backroom dealing is not uncommon in politics, an explicit quid pro quo arrangement crosses the line, and that there is no way to know exactly what happened until either Sestak or the White House provides details. Asked why he was taking up the fight, he pointed to efforts by Democrats on the House Oversight committee to examine Bush administration e-mails and the Valerie Plame matter and said he had the right to look into any potential violation of the Hatch Act.

"I'm not going to let this issue go away between now and November until it's resolved," Issa said.

"I think an unanswered allegation of a criminal activity is one that even a back burner boil will eventually lead to steam rising," he added. "I don't believe the question will stop being asked until original source information is delivered."

Asked if he wanted to comment on Issa's intention to seek a special prosecutor in the case, Gibbs said he would say "nothing more than what I said last week."
Old 03-24-10, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FiveO View Post

I was never much of a Bush supporter...but Obama is on his way to being worse that Bush ever was. In my opinion of course.

Obama has single handedly made me (a life long democrat) into a independent or republican supporter in the next election.
Miss Bush?

It cracks me up when people say Obama is worse or will end up worse than W.

Obama could not show up for work for the rest of the year, hell maybe the rest of the term, and he'd still be a better president than Bush ever was.
Old 03-24-10, 08:37 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
Obama could not show up for work for the rest of the year, hell maybe the rest of the term, and he'd still be a better president than Bush ever was.
If Obama did that I'd like him a lot more too.
Old 03-24-10, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X View Post

People just need to give him a chance. He came into office with 8 years of garbage left behind by Bush/Cheney.
Old 03-24-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Please!!!!

Are you still going to be using that excuse in 2015?
Old 03-24-10, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Please!!!!

Are you still going to be using that excuse in 2015?
No, by then everyone (except you Republicans) will be saying what a great job Obama did. The economy will be on the rise, America will be recovering.

Then we get to get a good ol' boy from the GOP in there and watch them mess it all up again.

But not before they ride the coattails.....
Old 03-24-10, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm not a Republican.

I've voted a hell of a lot longer than you have, and I've voted for one Republican in 48 years of voting - and that wasn't for a federal office.
Old 03-24-10, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
It cracks me up when people say Obama is worse or will end up worse than W.

I completely disagree... for all Bush supposedly did, very little of it is going to have a lasting/long term effect on most people (the one obvious/notable exception of course is those people who have lost loved ones, or were injured themselves in the wars -- and the supreme court nominees ). W/ the health care bill alone Obama has created a very significant [detrimentally so IMHO] change to the US. That doesn't even get into what he wants to do w/ "cap'n'trade" and some of the other he has planned.

Last edited by nemein; 03-24-10 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-24-10, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by X View Post
Wouldn't that mean Biden would take over though... that might actually be worse. I think the best thing would be for the Reps to take over congress and get back to split gov't.
Old 03-24-10, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk God

The 'blame Bush' thing has worn thin about 9 months ago.
Old 03-24-10, 08:59 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by nemein View Post
Wouldn't that mean Biden would take over though...
Not if Obama just didn't show up, but was capable of showing up.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.