Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Texas doesn't want you to know about Thomas Jefferson

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Texas doesn't want you to know about Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-16-10, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Texas doesn't want you to know about Thomas Jefferson

I guess i don't understand the publishing world. Let Texas mess with itself and have a textbook publisher provide their books with their revisionist curriculum. But isn't this a golden opportunity for another textbook publisher to have another textbook available with a different curriculum for those districts that don't want the Texas curriculum?
Old 03-16-10, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I believe the textbook world is a pretty small universe. I also think that Texas has a a lot of sway over the industry just as other large states like CA or NY.
Old 03-16-10, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I think Texas should exercise its option & divide up into 5 states.
That would make the Senate a better place.
Old 03-16-10, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk God

8 Repubs would be added.
Old 03-16-10, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Page not found. But saying good things about McCarthy isn't hard. He is remembered for what he is remembered for just like Nixon is remembered for Watergate. But Nixon did some very good things. I don't think that is much different that books that want to tell you all the "bad" things the founding fathers did.
I think it sends the right message. It's not that Americans supported communist infiltrators, it's that they disagreed with his methods. It's nice knowing that we dodged a bullet, but it's still a lesson to be learned.

Last edited by Superboy; 03-16-10 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-16-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
I think Texas should exercise its option & divide up into 5 states.
You know those five states would end up being named "North Texas", "South Texas", "East Texas", "West Texas", and the last one considered the "True" Texas.
Old 06-14-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/1...from-religion/

I saw this and figured it fit in here well. Governor Rick Perry and Senator Robert Nichols are re-allowing public displays for religious holidays. I have no issue with that, I just thought it was funny that Nichols uses Thomas Jefferson as something of a defense for it.

The more I read about Jefferson that more I like the guy, he was apparently a ridiculously flamboyant athiest that loved exotic food, decorating, furniture, dyed his hair, birdwatched and had a lisp. I wonder if republicans ever seen the irony in that.
Old 06-14-13, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk God

I have never seen Jefferson as flamboyantly atheist. He was merely thoughtful and well spoken about his beliefs. He might be more accurately described as a deist than atheist, though. He's a neat guy. Seemed to not be threatened by religion like so many today. Didn't mind giving it kudos when it deserved it or speaking against it when it deserved it. Too many people, and damn near every topic today, need to be all against or all for.

Reasonable people are lost in a discussion that just involves two sides screaming at each other.
Old 06-14-13, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It is not like he was a Reverand or based his reasoning for equality on God or anything
Old 06-14-13, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I've always cats like Thomas Jefferson as being agnostic more than anything else.

The simple truth is, the "founding fathers" were not Christians in the way we think of Christians today. "Born agains," fundamentalism, and evangelical Christianity are relatively recent phenomenons.
Old 06-14-13, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Article here but it's all over the net.

I've highlighted a few of what I think are the more choice comments and changes. I shudder to think of what a Texas schoolbook will look like in another 10 years if this kind of nonsense continues.

I'm all for updating outdated curriculum. Some of these changes are fine (like the "personal responsibility" part). But going back and altering just because of a small group's personal bias does not seem in the best interest of the students. Especially if NO ONE on the board appears to be an expert on these topics.
Funny I saw this thread and thought it was going to be about Rick Perry's Merry Christmas bill allowing religious symbols again on school property. I bet the atheists are blowing their tops over that one. lol
Old 06-14-13, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
I've always cats like Thomas Jefferson as being agnostic more than anything else.

The simple truth is, the "founding fathers" were not Christians in the way we think of Christians today. "Born agains," fundamentalism, and evangelical Christianity are relatively recent phenomenons.
Well, they were Christians. If you mean they weren't the shallow strawman stereotypes of Christians as purveyed by vapid postmodern popular media, then yes.
Old 06-14-13, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only the slave-owning founding fathers were Christians, obviously.
Old 06-15-13, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Isn't Texas going to secede from the United States?

Wish they'd hurry up and do it so we can put up that border fence.
LOL, it will never happen. If the Federal Government allowed Texas to secede, the other states would see how successful Texas would become, and they would all want to secede as well. Could you imagine Texans not having to pay any federal income tax, plus they already don't have any state income tax. If they abolished the minimum wage and kept the local government from over-regulating businesses, the economy would be booming. People would be flocking to Texas in droves.
Old 06-15-13, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Funny I saw this thread and thought it was going to be about Rick Perry's Merry Christmas bill allowing religious symbols again on school property. I bet the atheists are blowing their tops over that one. lol
I'm not blowing my top (nor am I an atheist) but children can get plenty of religious indoctrination at home and church. Let's keep the schools neutral and let parents handle religion.
Old 06-15-13, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
Apparently Texans are idiots and want to ensure their children will be as well.
So, I guess only THREE things come from Texas now.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 06-15-13 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-15-13, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Moo.
Old 06-15-13, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/06/1...from-religion/

I saw this and figured it fit in here well. Governor Rick Perry and Senator Robert Nichols are re-allowing public displays for religious holidays. I have no issue with that, I just thought it was funny that Nichols uses Thomas Jefferson as something of a defense for it.

The more I read about Jefferson that more I like the guy, he was apparently a ridiculously flamboyant athiest that loved exotic food, decorating, furniture, dyed his hair, birdwatched and had a lisp. I wonder if republicans ever seen the irony in that.
Well, the fact that he fathered children with women (black women, as a matter fact) cancels out your ironic point.
Old 06-20-13, 03:34 AM
Banned by request

The Founding Fathers were Christian, and set up a government that didn't sponsor any one religion over another. So who cares that they were Christian?
Old 06-20-13, 08:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Why not accommodate the governor and allow secession. What would it take?
Evidently, a civil war.

Oops...already been tried.

Make up your mind, why dontcha?

The main result of such an action would be that East Dylan's long-forgotten football program would be re-activated.

Last edited by creekdipper; 06-20-13 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-20-13, 08:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SuprVgeta View Post
LOL, it will never happen. If the Federal Government allowed Texas to secede, the other states would see how successful Texas would become, and they would all want to secede as well. Could you imagine Texans not having to pay any federal income tax, plus they already don't have any state income tax. If they abolished the minimum wage and kept the local government from over-regulating businesses, the economy would be booming. People would be flocking to Texas in droves.
Documented or undocumented?

Also remember the fast-track to Ol' Sparky...one more attractive feature to an independent Texas Republic.
Old 06-20-13, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I have never seen Jefferson as flamboyantly atheist. He was merely thoughtful and well spoken about his beliefs. He might be more accurately described as a deist than atheist, though. He's a neat guy. Seemed to not be threatened by religion like so many today. Didn't mind giving it kudos when it deserved it or speaking against it when it deserved it. Too many people, and damn near every topic today, need to be all against or all for.

Reasonable people are lost in a discussion that just involves two sides screaming at each other.
My take also on Jefferson. A deist that didn't believe in Miracles or Jesus being divine. Like a lot of reasonable Christian scientists who take the Bible a lot more allegorically than modern fundies who take it much more literally.
Old 06-20-13, 02:10 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
The main result of such an action would be that East Dylan's long-forgotten football program would be re-activated.
Now that sounds like it's worth it!
Old 06-20-13, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
I bet the atheists are blowing their tops over that one. lol
Atheists...
Old 06-21-13, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
The Founding Fathers were Christian, and set up a government that didn't sponsor any one religion over another. So who cares that they were Christian?
Not true. A number of the Founding Fathers were Deists.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.