Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

National ID cards with biometric data - coming this year?

Old 03-12-10, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

National ID cards with biometric data - coming this year?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...037066854.html

Essentially, under this plan, if you want a job, you've got to ask Uncle Sam for permission to work.

A prospective employer would scan your body and read your vein patterns to verify that you are who you say you are. If an employer does not wish to purchase a body scanner, he can march you down to the DMV and use their machine.
Old 03-12-10, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: National ID cards with biometric data - coming this year?

It may be an infringement on our freedom, but it will keep illegal immigrants from stealing our jobs. Only criminals try to avoid being tracked by the government.
Old 03-12-10, 07:47 AM

"May ve see your papers, please?"
Old 03-12-10, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post

Essentially, under this plan, if you want a job, you've got to ask Uncle Sam for permission to work.

A prospective employer would scan your body and read your vein patterns to verify that you are who you say you are. If an employer does not wish to purchase a body scanner, he can march you down to the DMV and use their machine.
I heard it was only a thumb print scan.
Old 03-12-10, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Doesn't this line seem odd?

Mr. Schumer said employers would be able to buy a scanner to check the IDs for as much as $800.
Shouldn't it be for as little as $800? I imagine you'd be able to buy a scanner for as much as a hundred billion if you wanted too, which is as much as I'm sure we'd spend for the gov ones.
Old 03-12-10, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hope all the people pushing for strong illegal immigration enforcement are happy now.
Old 03-12-10, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Doesn't this line seem odd?

Shouldn't it be for as little as $800? I imagine you'd be able to buy a scanner for as much as a hundred billion if you wanted too, which is as much as I'm sure we'd spend for the gov ones.
It seems odd if you're just reporting the news but less so if you're trying to emphasize how oppressive these regulations would be.

And speaking of odd, the very next sentence begins

Small employers, he said, could take their applicants to a government office to like the Department of Motor Vehicles
Why can't I like the Department of Motor Vehicles on my own terms and at a place of my choosing? Is this the first step on the road to fascism?
Old 03-12-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, you have to be issued a Social Security number at birth, so your parents can claim you as a dependent.

That is also a requirement to work (due to withholding) The new requirement is that the SS number actually has to belong to you, that is, it becomes secure id. You are presently supposed to "prove it" with a birth certificate and photo id. So really the requirement exists now, but the crappy trail of evidence needs to become a secure and verified trail of evidence. Once you accept the trail currently exists for honest people, only crooks and illegals benefit from it not being robust.

You also need a passport to go anywhere out of country or secure driver's license, and a regular driver's license to get on an airplane (what do kids under driving age do for TSA?). Voting should require secure id, at least photo id, but generally doesn't.

Clearly State and Federal government need to think it out as a system, but the existing hodgepodge is probably closer than you think.
Old 03-12-10, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
Hope all the people pushing for strong illegal immigration enforcement are happy now.
The people who want stronger enforcement generally fancy themselves as libertarians; therefore, they would be opposed.

Instead - they want to build a mile-high fence.
Old 03-12-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk God

So it is essentially ID. It isn't something that can track you, it is simply a more precise/harder to fake than a picture, correct?
Old 03-12-10, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
The people who want stronger enforcement generally fancy themselves as libertarians; therefore, they would be opposed.

Really?

That's not how I would look at it. Could you explain more fully?
Old 03-12-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

They do? That's news to me.

I'd say the people who want stronger enforcement generally fancy themselves as conservatives. There may be some libertarians in the more-enforcement group.
Old 03-12-10, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
They do? That's news to me.

I'd say the people who want stronger enforcement generally fancy themselves as conservatives. There may be some libertarians in the more-enforcement group.
Generally speaking Libertarians have a healthy respect for the laws of the land, they want them kept to the bare minimum but enforced.

That's one of the problems with the government. They pass laws but don't enforce them properly. When that deficiency is exposed, rather than step up enforcement, more laws are passed to try to make up the shortfall.
Old 03-12-10, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Generally speaking Libertarians have a healthy respect for the laws of the land, they want them kept to the bare minimum but enforced.
I don't disagree with that statement, but that doesn't validate c-man's statement. I'd say that ,generally, libertarians believe in an open borders policy. I don't believe in that, but that's only because I would prefer to limit entry so that outsiders cannot receive government aid/handouts. If the gov't safety net was drastically reduced, then I'd have no problem with open borders (except for tracking entry and protecting against security threats).
Old 03-12-10, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Does an open door policy mean that Mexicans can come across the border in droves?

You can't really believe that. Just think how that would impact our schools, our health care, our jobs, etc.
Old 03-12-10, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
This isn't about illegals and you know it.

It's about power and control over the American citizen and nothing more. Just as every such move has been before in the history of nations and governments.

Just a tiny amount of propaganda is all that will be needed for the fools in this country to rationalize and even champion this chain on their, and their children's neck. Just like they do all the other invasions into their lives by the government.
Old 03-12-10, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Does an open door policy mean that Mexicans can come across the border in droves?

You can't really believe that. Just think how that would impact our schools, our health care, our jobs, etc.
I think you need to read my last post more carefully. Do that, and comment again.
Old 03-12-10, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Cman?
Old 03-12-10, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Here in SoCal, that's hard to imagine...
Old 03-12-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I heard it was only a thumb print scan.
Yeah, that doesn't really bother me, but I don't think employers will want to bother with the scanners and it seems impossible to have the SSA manage all this info.
Old 03-19-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Obama wants biometric cards: http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE62H5NX20100319
Old 03-19-10, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good. Maybe we'll finally figure out where he was born!
Old 03-19-10, 01:07 PM

Anybody wanting to get a head start on this should go ahead and ejaculate onto their passport.
Old 03-19-10, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Anybody wanting to get a head start on this should go ahead and ejaculate onto their passport.
Done and done.
Old 03-19-10, 03:40 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Great. Now I'm going to have to charge for ejaculating on other people's passports.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.