Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Texas Governor Candidate Questions Any U.S. Role in 9/11

Old 02-11-10, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Texas Governor Candidate Questions Any U.S. Role in 9/11

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100212/..._s_race_sept11

AUSTIN, Texas – A Republican gubernatorial candidate said Thursday she has questions about whether the U.S. government was involved in the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks — a statement she swiftly backed away from and one that drew immediate criticism from her better-known rivals in the race.

Gov. Rick Perry and Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison dismissed the comments made by Debra Medina on the Glenn Beck Show that there were "some very good arguments" that the U.S. was involved in bringing down the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001.

"I don't have all of the evidence there, Glenn," Medina said. "I think some very good questions have been raised. In that regard there's some very good arguments and I think the American people have not seen all the evidence there."

Medina later released a statement saying she did not believe the government was involved in the attacks

"There is no doubt in my mind that Muslim terrorists flew planes into those buildings on 9/11," Medina said in the written statement. "I have not seen any evidence nor have I ever believed that our government was involved or directed those individuals in any way."

Medina, Perry and Hutchison are battling for the GOP nomination. In recent weeks, Medina has surprised political observers by surging in public opinion polls and raising her profile in two televised debates.

Perry said Medina's remarks "were an insult to the thousands of Americans who lost loved ones." He countered that anyone "should be ashamed" for suggesting involvement by former President George W. Bush's administration. Bush was Perry's predecessor as Texas governor.

Hutchison stressed that it was "al-Qaida terrorists who declared war on America. To suggest otherwise is an affront to the men and women who are sacrificing their lives to root out the terrorists in Afghanistan and around the globe."

Beck, who is influential among the Libertarian-leaning voters that Medina has attracted, said he had been flooded with mail since he announced she would be on the show. Medina said in the interview that she has not been questioning the attacks publicly.

"There was a theme that ran against you, and that is, you are a '9/11 Truther,'" Beck said, referring to the term given to people who doubt the official account of Sept. 11.

"While I don't endorse anyone ... I think I can write her off the list," Beck said. "Let me take another look at Kay Bailey Hutchison if I have to. Rick, I think you and I could French kiss right now."

The polls show that she is at about 16%.

Most people believe she is hurting Hutchison more than Perry.

I suspect we'll see a decline in Medina's poll numbers.

Last edited by classicman2; 02-11-10 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-11-10, 08:23 PM
X
Administrator

Re: Texas Governor Candidate Questions Any U.S. Role in 9/11

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
The polls show that she is about 16.
Don't they have any age requirements for governor in Texas? That state is wacky!
Old 02-11-10, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Are you happy now?
Old 02-11-10, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ya ever wonder what it sounds like when a political campaign flushes itself down a toilet?

There you go.
Old 02-11-10, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by glenn beck
"While I don't endorse anyone ... I think I can write her off the list," Beck said. "Let me take another look at Kay Bailey Hutchison if I have to.
A reasoned and well thought out statement by beck. Maybe he's not the nutball I thought he was.

Originally Posted by glenn beck
Rick, I think you and I could French kiss right now."
aaaannndd... over the cliff he goes!
Old 03-03-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Texas voters must be really pissed with Washington. Perry defeated Hutchison 51-30 in the Texas Republican Governor Primary.
Old 03-03-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think it's partly that, but also Hutchinson really didn't give much of a reason to vote for her over Perry. She seemed to kind of be running for governor "just because". Perry's had some negative issues in the last term (from a Republican point-of-view), but it clearly wasn't enough to cause the party to go for "change-for-change's-sake".

The amazing part is: Perry is the longest serving governor in Texas history, and he successfully portrayed himself as the "outsider" in the race.
Old 03-03-10, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate Rick Perry with great passion. Who's running against him? I want to make a contribution. I really don't care what their politics are, so long as Perry is out of office.
Old 03-03-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk God

What's your problem with Perry?

Please have some other reason(s) other than the secession thing.
Old 03-03-10, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk God

I couldn't care less about the secession thing. Probably how he's handled the forensics commission's investigation of the Cameron Todd Willingham (executed in '04) case.
Old 03-03-10, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wildcatlh View Post
I hate Rick Perry with great passion. Who's running against him? I want to make a contribution. I really don't care what their politics are, so long as Perry is out of office.
Bill White, three-term mayor of Houston (he just left office in January due to being term-limited).
Old 03-04-10, 08:53 AM

U.S. Trade Representative (and former Dallas mayor) Ron Kirk, when asked about Rick Perry's secessionist talk:
I wish those of you in the press would then ask, even though it's tongue in cheek, so what does this mean then, for a state that unfortunately ranks in the bottom, investment in education and health care for our kids, leads the nation in the number of people of unemployed, and you want to pull out of the country?

Tell me where you're going to find the money to pay for Medicare with one of the highest-growing senior populations in the country.

In a state that's probably $2 billion underfunded in maintaining its own highways, and now you want to pull out of the United States and take away the billions of dollars you get from the federal [government] – how are you going to fix your infrastructure?
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.4c01460.html
Old 03-04-10, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk God

We've previously had a thread about this. Let's not rehash it in this thread.

I'm sure you can call up the other thread where it is discussed.

As everyone knows, I'm a stickler for remaining true to the thread title.

Last edited by classicman2; 03-04-10 at 09:19 AM.