Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

"Miss Me Yet?" - George Bush Billboard

Old 09-01-10, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: "Miss Me Yet?" - George Bush Billboard

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas View Post
These videos are so stupid, yet I can't stop watching.

The left hunt down the loons who think Obama is the Anti-Christ and America will be destroyed under his leadership, and the right hunt down people (usually black) at Obama rallies, who when asked why they voted for Obama, their only answer is somewhere along the lines of"Because he is going to bring change to Washington"

The only things i've ever learned from these videos is that people against Obama are crazy religious nuts who are racist, and that people who voted for Obama have no idea about politics, but instead voted for him because he is black and/or not George Bush.
You obviously didnt dig to hard if you dont think there arent plenty of crazy moonbat nuts who voted for Obama because they want everything handed to them. Here is just one example for you

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/P36x8rTb3jI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/P36x8rTb3jI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-01-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that was his point.
Old 09-01-10, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Pharoh View Post
I won't get into semantics over what is or is not a lie, but merely humbly point out that implementation of the relatively successful COIN strategy would not have been possible without the additional forces. I don't believe it possible to separate the two. Further, without the "Surge" there would not have been the necessary security for the subsequent Shia militia cease fire, which was vital for the creation of the Awakening councils. So whether we paid the Sunni militias or not, the Awakening would also not have taken place without the surge. They go hand in hand.
The Awakening began months before the Surge was contemplated, let alone implemented. Depending on when you mark the beginning of the Awakening, it arguably started more than a year before the Surge. Furthermore, the Awakening occurred primarily in Anbar (western Iraq) while the troop surge occurred primarily in Baghdad and Diyala, which is in eastern Iraq. Of course, you can argue that by adding troops in Baghdad, we didn't need to move troops from Anbar to Baghdad, leaving them available to work with the Awakening Councils, but that strikes me as a very tenuous defense of the Surge as being linked with the Awakening.
Old 09-01-10, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Obama seems to irritate the far left and far right equally; I don't agree with everything he's done, but Bush was an absolute disaster.
Old 09-01-10, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mammal View Post
Obama seems to irritate the far left and far right equally;
Which is all any president can hope to do.

So... Who was the last president who made both sides come together and rejoice and all of that hippy shit? It's still never happened. 300 years and shit is still the same. Regular folks just keep on keepin' on (and sustaining what actually drives the planet's comfort ... which is all anyone wants, really). While political folks just bury themselves deeper and deeper in their fickley-self-destructive opinions.

Politics will never make anyone happy. It just kind of gives people more stuff to keep busy with (hey, some of you guys have ...cough... 20k+ posts ... mostly in this forum).

-Keepin' On Keepin' On
Old 09-02-10, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whoopdido View Post
One of the most asinine things I've ever read.
I would agree but I couldn't make it through the whole thing.
Old 09-02-10, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
So, the war is over and Obama gets credit despite the fact that it is over is because of the surge, which he was against.
It's almost as bad as Biden saying Iraq is one of the administration's greatest achievements
Old 09-02-10, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm not sure it's over. We had "Peace with Honor" in Vietnam.
Old 09-02-10, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
Yeah, remember that one time he mispronounced corpsman as corpse-man... What a buffoon!
Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
That one time? I thought it was several times.
Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
He mispronounced it twice in one speech. The speech as "the time".

Spoiler:
The one time I wore mismatched socks to work, and was embarrassed when people noticed, was "the time" that happened. I don't count each separate instance of the fashion faux pas being noticed as a time.

When you are evaluating a student's essay and they misspell the same word throughout, you count that as one error in the essay (that one time). The hope/expectation is that when the student is made aware of the correct spelling, he/she won't make that error again (at a future time).
Dave's almost correct. Obama mispronounced "corpsman" on at least two different occasions.

That one time (where he mispronounced "corpsman" twice):

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IkMKdpgPYTM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IkMKdpgPYTM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

That other time (the first time he mispronounced it):

<object width="480" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/all/modules/swftools/shared/flash_media_player/player5x2.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="bgcolor" value="282828"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="flashvars" value="config=http://www.whitehouse.gov/xml/video/5768/config.xml&path_to_plugins=http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/modules/wh_multimedia/wh_jwplayer/plugins&path_to_player=http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/all/modules/swftools/shared/flash_media_player/player5x2.swf"></param><embed src="http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/all/modules/swftools/shared/flash_media_player/player5x2.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="300" flashvars="config=http://www.whitehouse.gov/xml/video/5768/config.xml&path_to_plugins=http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/modules/wh_multimedia/wh_jwplayer/plugins&path_to_player=http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/all/modules/swftools/shared/flash_media_player/player5x2.swf"></embed></object>

(Skip ahead about 7:00 minutes.)
Old 09-27-10, 10:18 PM

Rep. Earl Pomeroy (D) seems to be missing Bush too.

Vulnerable Dem Rep. Embraces Bush In Latest Ad

We’ve seen plenty of Democrats in tight races trying to distance themselves from President Obama. But one Democrat, North Dakota's Rep. Earl Pomeroy, is taking this a step farther by actually embracing President George W. Bush.

----------

In his latest ad, Pomeroy goes a step further, highlighting his support for the Bush prescription drug plan which he says Berg would "roll back."

The ad opens with a bill signing featuring President Bush while a woman’s voice says, "When George Bush proposed a Medicare prescription drug plan, Earl Pomeroy voted yes, putting seniors before party.. Rick Berg would roll back prescription drug coverage."

http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/201...latest-ad.html
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3OVesNzO8qk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3OVesNzO8qk?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 09-27-10, 10:49 PM

So when George Bush embraced Liberalism, he agreed with him......
Old 10-09-10, 04:50 PM

At this rate, by 2012 folks will prefer bringing Bush back for a 3rd term over giving Obama a 2nd.

CNN Poll: Was Bush better president than Obama?

(CNN) - Americans are divided over whether President Barack Obama or his predecessor has performed better in the White House, according to a new national poll.

And a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Friday also indicates in the battle for Congress, Republicans hold large advantages over the Democrats among independents, men and blue-collar whites. The poll also indicates that Republicans are much more enthusiastic than Democrats to vote.

By 47 to 45 percent, Americans say Obama is a better president than George W. Bush. But that two point margin is down from a 23 point advantage one year ago.

"Democrats may want to think twice about bringing up former President George W. Bush's name while campaigning this year," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...nt-than-obama/
Old 10-09-10, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

In a way it feels good to be so right. Obama had no experience, but so many suckers were bamboozeled by his light shows and bullshit. It feels good to be right, but I wish I was wrong. We need a competent, experienced leader, but we've got a sophomoric "gimick" president. If the economy was better we might be able to tolerate/afford his little experiments and pet program silliness, but these are desperate times and we've got a phony ivy-league pretentious douche president.

I hope people think a little harder before voting next time. John McCain is a boring fossil who spent too much time in a tiger cage, but at least he has reasonably sound judgment, a reputation of working well with others, and 40 fucking years of experience. It's bad enough that nowadays none of our elected officials have ever had a real job, but at least McCain had many years of experience in politics.
Old 10-09-10, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
In a way it feels good to be so right. Obama had no experience, but so many suckers were bamboozeled by his light shows and bullshit. It feels good to be right, but I wish I was wrong. We need a competent, experienced leader, but we've got a sophomoric "gimick" president. If the economy was better we might be able to tolerate/afford his little experiments and pet program silliness, but these are desperate times and we've got a phony ivy-league pretentious douche president.

I hope people think a little harder before voting next time. John McCain is a boring fossil who spent too much time in a tiger cage, but at least he has reasonably sound judgment, a reputation of working well with others, and 40 fucking years of experience. It's bad enough that nowadays none of our elected officials have ever had a real job, but at least McCain had many years of experience in politics.
McCain is nothing more than an opportunist. No worse, no better. His complete lack in judgment in selecting Sarah Palin as VP was too great for many to ignore. If he has to put in "character matters" in every one of his campaign ads then maybe his "character" isn't so obvious.

Years of experience in politics doesn't mean that one will be better. (however "better" is measured) All it means is that he'll be more adept at spin and damage control.
Old 10-09-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
I'm going to broaden that statement and say that there's no successful politician alive who isn't an opportunist.

Fuck them all. Every last one. The system's so broken, abused, and owned (by those with enough money to buy into it), that all I want to do any more is shield myself from those politicians that will cause the most upheaval to my lifestyle. The bottom line is, if they'll leave me the fuck alone, I won't vote against them.

Not one of them wants good things for you, unless it means great things for them.

Yes, I'm cynical as fuck.
And I still wonder why you claim you are a liberal. Fuck the Republicans and their bible thumping moralizing, you should be a conservative supporting a smaller less intrusive government.
Old 10-10-10, 02:29 AM
Needs to provide a working email

You added a 't'.
Old 10-10-10, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I renounced both parties just a few weeks ago, actually, and severed all ties to both, even excluding people that I spoke to in my daily life only about politics. I don't need the grief. It'll never be right, so why even bother to care?

I mean, I still glance around this place, and I see/read/hear some news, but my political intake is down nearly 90%, I'd say. And I feel much better (in general) about the world.
*high fives Lemmy*

It's called passive dominance. Folks exponentially perpetuate damaging politics by feeding into it more and more. It's the same as people slowing down and rubbernecking at a car accident, or watching Fox News. Get out, get a job, live a modest life within your means, vote every two years and shut the fuck up.

To further articulate my world view...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1I9GqxDA4ac?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1I9GqxDA4ac?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 10-10-10, 03:15 AM
Needs to provide a working email

That's called passive recession. I'd prefer if you didn't vote. And also if you stopped using good music to illustrate your dimly-lighted worldview.
Old 10-10-10, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I always felt McCain was a douche for trying to get the UFC banned for years without ever watching even a few seconds of it and quoting made-up facts and rules/events that never happened. Sorta got a good read of his character on that before the race ever started... then once it did he just cemented my views on the guy.

I love the bastard for being a war hero... I really wanted to root for the guy... I just don't think he was the right choice and I was more then willing to put support behind someone with vastly different ideas then the crap Bush did to put us in the hole in the first place.
Old 10-10-10, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to broaden that statement and say that there's no successful politician alive who isn't an opportunist.

Fuck them all. Every last one. The system's so broken, abused, and owned (by those with enough money to buy into it), that all I want to do any more is shield myself from those politicians that will cause the most upheaval to my lifestyle. The bottom line is, if they'll leave me the fuck alone, I won't vote against them.

Not one of them wants good things for you, unless it means great things for them.

Yes, I'm cynical as fuck.

I would've worded it differently, but your sentiments echo my opinion exactly.

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
And I still wonder why you claim you are a liberal. Fuck the Republicans and their bible thumping moralizing, you should be a conservative supporting a smaller less intrusive government.
Conservatives don't support a smaller less intrusive government. They like big government too... they only differ from liberals in who benefits from big government.
Old 10-10-10, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer View Post

Conservatives don't support a smaller less intrusive government. They like big government too... they only differ from liberals in who benefits from big government.
No the people claiming to be conservatives don't follow through, most pay it lip service. A true conservative does. I would say that the biggest difference between a liberal and a true conservative is the desired size and power of the government.
Old 10-10-10, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thank you. The whole smaller government mantra is a terrible hoax.
Old 10-10-10, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Give me a true one, and I'd likely vote for him. But your party doesn't seem to want any of those people in power, as they never seem to get those people elected into any major offices.
My party? What party do you think I am? Certainly not Republican. I just said "Fuck the Republicans" to you on the previous page.

If I had to call myself anything it would be a constitutional conservative.

I am an Atheist. I believe in gay rights and marriage. I believe in a woman's right to choose. I believe most (if not all... it needs some real thought) drugs ought to be legalized.

I am most definitely NOT a Republican.
Old 10-11-10, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I assume you are talking about politicians and you are correct as to the majority of them. There are some conservative politicians who honestly do want smaller gov't, but it isn't the ones who have been in Washington D.C. for multiple terms, keeping the status quo. There are a whole bunch of conservative voters who want smaller gov't and that number is growing.
Old 10-11-10, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by taa455 View Post
I assume you are talking about politicians and you are correct as to the majority of them. There are some conservative politicians who honestly do want smaller gov't, but it isn't the ones who have been in Washington D.C. for multiple terms, keeping the status quo. There are a whole bunch of conservative voters who want smaller gov't and that number is growing.

I am one of those voters ta455, but I am not convinced there are as many of us as it appears. I think about the people I know who send me the Tea party stuff and I dont think many of them really want small goverment. They dont want Medicare or SS reformed. When push comes to shove they will balk at "real" reform....

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.