Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Daily Kos Republican poll

Old 02-08-10, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Daily Kos Republican poll

http://www.dailykos.com/statepoll/2010/1/31/US/437

39% of republicans think Obama should be impeached
36% of republicans think Obama was not born in the United States
24% of republicans think Obama wants the terrorists to win
31% of republicans think Obama hates white people
73% of republicans think openly gay people should not be allowed to be teachers
77% of republicans think the Book of Genesis should be taught in schools

either (these) republicans are idiots, or Daily Kos wants to make all republicans look like idiots. I honestly can't tell.

edit: fixed a typo (originally wrote down 77% think gays shouldn't teach when the number is really 73%)

Last edited by RoyalTea; 02-08-10 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-08-10, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Daily Kos Republican poll

If Kos wanted to make this more interesting, he should have asked a similar number of Democrats the same questions. I wonder if the numbers would be similar in some cases.

The response choices are "Yes", "No", and "Not Sure". Don't most polls usually have "Strongly Agree", "Agree", "Undecided", "Disagree", "Strongly Disagree"?
Old 02-08-10, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Since a mere 39% of Republicans are ever right, things aren't looking too good for Mr Obama. If that's his real name.
Old 02-08-10, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't buy that poll at all. I don't know about those numbers in the 30's, but the two in the 70's are complete bullshit. Out of all the Republican's I know (and I know 100's) I can't think of a single one who agrees with anything on that list, and I am 100% sure none of them object to openly gay teachers.

I'm not a Republican (though I usually vote that way), but seriously are there ANY Republicans at this forum who agree with ANY of those points?
Old 02-08-10, 10:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
I don't buy that poll at all. I don't know about those numbers in the 30's, but the two in the 70's are complete bullshit. Out of all the Republican's I know (and I know 100's) I can't think of a single one who agrees with anything on that list, and I am 100% sure none of them object to openly gay teachers. I'm not a Republican (though I usually vote that way), but seriously are there ANY Republicans at this forum who agree with ANY of those points?
Oh, you MUST be joking......oh, wait, I get it....you're being facetious, aren't you?!? How precious.
Old 02-08-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
but seriously are there ANY Republicans at this forum who agree with ANY of those points?
I don't agree with any of those points but I most certainly would have answered YES to them in a daily kos poll.

Unless I was under oath. In which case I would not have sexual relations with the "terrorists" one.
Old 02-08-10, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
Oh, you MUST be joking......oh, wait, I get it....you're being facetious, aren't you?!? How precious.
I'm not joking at all. If 70% of Republicans think openly gay men should not be teachers, letís see how many post here (and wm lopez doesnít count). We've got to have over a 100 of them on this forum, that means 70 agree.

I doubt you'll get more then one or two.

This is the problem with both sides; they really think a majority are this extreme.
Old 02-08-10, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm leaning towards this really being a vote by the kind of Democrats who regularly haunt Daily Kos on what they think Republicans believe myself.

Last edited by stp115; 02-08-10 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-08-10, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
either (these) republicans are idiots, or Daily Kos wants to make all republicans look like idiots. I honestly can't tell.
Andrew Therriault, who's a doctoral candidate in the Department of Politics at NYU blogged about this poll:

<a href = "http://andrewtherriault.com/index.php/2010/02/03/daily-kos-research-2000-poll/">Daily Kos / Research 2000 poll</a>

The whole piece is worth reading, but here are some salient points:

While the findings are pretty striking at first glance, there are a number of potential problems with the poll that should throw a little cold water on anyone getting too hysterical about the results
There is a common theme in nearly all these questions: they ask respondents whether they agree with viewpoints espoused by the most far-right commentators. In most every case, there is a clear “conservative” position to be taken. This could lead to more extreme results than otherwise...
In the meantime, however, I think we need to be sober and skeptical about the results of this poll. There are without a doubt a lot of crazies on the right (as there are on the left), but whether they make up the majority of the Republican party is another question altogether. These results are certainly interesting and perhaps alarming, but they are far from conclusive.
Old 02-08-10, 10:56 AM

I should point out that, even though the poll was commissioned by DailyKos, it was conducted by Research 2000, a reputable polling organization.