Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Pres. Obama: Do as I say, not as I do

Old 02-05-10, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pres. Obama: Do as I say, not as I do

Read about this on the Reason blog:

Originally Posted by President Obama
But there is a sense that something is different now; that something is broken; that those of us in Washington are not serving the people as well as we should. At times, it seems like we're unable to listen to one another; to have at once a serious and civil debate. And this erosion of civility in the public square sows division and distrust among our citizens. It poisons the well of public opinion. It leaves each side little room to negotiate with the other. It makes politics an all-or-nothing sport, where one side is either always right or always wrong when, in reality, neither side has a monopoly on truth. And then we lose sight of the children without food and the men without shelter and the families without health care.

Empowered by faith, consistently, prayerfully, we need to find our way back to civility. That begins with stepping out of our comfort zones in an effort to bridge divisions. We see that in many conservative pastors who are helping lead the way to fix our broken immigration system. It's not what would be expected from them, and yet they recognize, in those immigrant families, the face of God. We see that in the evangelical leaders who are rallying their congregations to protect our planet. We see it in the increasing recognition among progressives that government can't solve all of our problems, and that talking about values like responsible fatherhood and healthy marriage are integral to any anti-poverty agenda. Stretching out of our dogmas, our prescribed roles along the political spectrum, that can help us regain a sense of civility. [...]

Challenging each other's ideas can renew our democracy. But when we challenge each other's motives, it becomes harder to see what we hold in common.
This appears to be a pattern with President Obama. Give speeches with soaring rhetoric but operate in the gutter. Lack of integrity is nothing new in presidents or politics, but President Obama goes out of his way to point out the deficiencies of the system as if to imply... "since I'm pointing it out I'm not responsible."

The problem is that his fans won't hold him accountable to what he says, and his detractors don't have the moral authority to do it either.
Old 02-05-10, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Pres. Obama: Do as I say, not as I do

Maybe you could give an example of where you think the President is "operat[ing] in the gutter?"
Old 02-05-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk God

In other words, civilty and bridging divisions begins with agreeing with the current majority.
Old 02-05-10, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Maybe you could give an example of where you think the President is "operat[ing] in the gutter?"
He talks about transparency and negotiation on CSPAN, but doesn't actually do it. He talks of bipartisanship, but does nothing to actually show he wants bipartisanship. He blames Republicans for being obstructionists when he has a supermajority in the Senate (at least did). He says there will be no earmarks, when clearly there are.

Obviously it is up to each to decide if that is "in the gutter." I think he is mainly a typical politician who blames others for things he cannot get accomplished. And he promises things he has no intention of keeping.

And that probably isn't different than other politicians, but I think Obama made the mistake in believing that the people elected him because they really just wanted another lying politician.
Old 02-05-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't know if the examples kvrdave gave constitues 'operating in the gutter,' but it does mean that his words don't mean a lot.
Old 02-05-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought this was going to be about cigarettes.
Old 02-05-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I think he is mainly a typical politician who blames others for things he cannot get accomplished. And he promises things he has no intention of keeping.
I think that he is worse than the typical politician because he makes it a point to repeatedly point out the deficiencies in current system. By acknowledging them he is showing that he knows that they exist. And with that acknowledgment comes the responsibility to address them.

As an illustration, it is one thing to not be aware of the mugging victim who is laying bleeding in an alleyway, and another thing to know of his existence and not help.

And that probably isn't different than other politicians, but I think Obama made the mistake in believing that the people elected him because they really just wanted another lying politician.
That's not a mistake... it's the truth. People elected him without any tangible reason to believe that he would actually follow through on his promises. They elected him in spite of the truth of Rev. Wright, Bill Ayres, and lack of a track record. That's "blind faith"... faith in something/someone when there is evidence to the contrary.

Last edited by sracer; 02-05-10 at 12:11 PM. Reason: fixed typos
Old 02-05-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk God

I think they elected him because he didn't use his negro dialect.
Old 02-05-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
I think that he is worse than the typical politician because he makes it a point to repeatedly point out the deficiencies in current system. By acknowledging them he is showing that he knows that they exist. And with that acknowledgment comes the responsibility to address them.
Everyone runs on the "Change" platform. They all point out issues and say how they are going to fix them. Not sure why people thought Obama would be any different.
Old 02-05-10, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

But he could have if he wanted to.
Old 02-05-10, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by cpgator View Post
Everyone runs on the "Change" platform. They all point out issues and say how they are going to fix them. Not sure why people thought Obama would be any different.
Perhaps they believed that Obama was really the agent of change.

I know some on this forum believed that.

I didn't, but I've lived long enough to know the history of politicans who make such claims.
Old 02-05-10, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
but I've lived long enough to know the history of politicans who make such claims.
exactly. As other people have stated. he's just another regular, typical lying politician. And he sure isn't the Messiah as some people claim him out to be.
Old 02-05-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Links to "gutter" please.
Old 02-05-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ooops

Last edited by Larry C.; 02-05-10 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-05-10, 03:40 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
Fixed
New to the forum? Please read the first rule in this thread!

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/politics-wo...cal-forum.html
Old 02-05-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by X View Post
New to the forum? Please read the first rule in this thread!

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/politics-wo...cal-forum.html
No just a brain fart sorry X.
Old 02-05-10, 04:56 PM

So you're saying people forgot he was black for the hour they voted
Old 02-05-10, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
The problem is that his fans won't hold him accountable to what he says, and his detractors don't have the moral authority to do it either.
This is the problem with politics in general. It's all an elaborate game.
Old 02-05-10, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We really need a breaking news section at DVDtalk for threads like this.
Old 02-05-10, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Between that insipid "Barack the Magic Negro" song and "negro dialect," the word "negro" seems to be making a huge comeback.
Old 02-08-10, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of the administration's political moves have been from the gutter, but for the most part it's the gutter everyone else operates from. It's war on Fox News was a new low.

Regarding Obama's bipartisanship, I thought it was laughable when Obama tried to sell himself during the campaign as a great compromiser/negotiator. He knew he could get away with it because most of the media wouldn't call him on it. His administration has continued operating in a highly politicized, partisan manner. It's like they never stopped campaigning. Even Obama himself can't help but use events like the State of the Union to throw political jabs, often below the belt, at republicans even as he claims to be reaching out for cooperation.