Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

That's Racist!

Old 02-04-10, 04:28 PM

That's Racist!

With accusations of racism popping up daily, I figured we could discuss them all in one thread. Anyways, here's today's scandal:

The NBC Cafeteria celebrates Black History Month with a Fried Chicken Special

http://www.mediaite.com/online/nbc-c...icken-special/
Old 02-04-10, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: That's Racist!

I wish idiots would stop instantly equating stereotypes with racism. They might be ignorant, but they're hardly automatically racist. What aspect of liking some specific food implies racial superiority or inferiority?
Old 02-04-10, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No Big Red...No Sale!
Old 02-04-10, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've never seen a black person drink Aquafina. Just sayin'.
Old 02-04-10, 06:04 PM

Black Eyed Peas? How soon everybody forgets Fergie and the Asian dude.
Old 02-05-10, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://wgtclsp.nbcuni.com/o/4a784acd2b1a7e80/4b6bfa1439fa7ccf/4b6b4e83075b2772/a7c4342d/-cpid/4196f5fb63b58f00" id="W4a784acd2b1a7e804b6bfa1439fa7ccf" width="400" height="400"><param name="movie" value="http://wgtclsp.nbcuni.com/o/4a784acd2b1a7e80/4b6bfa1439fa7ccf/4b6b4e83075b2772/a7c4342d/-cpid/4196f5fb63b58f00" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /></object>

The NBC cafeteria employee who picked the menu, comments on the controversy.
Old 02-05-10, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk God

I eat black eyed peas - it's a requirement for New Years. You will have bad luck if you don't.
Old 02-05-10, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 02-05-10, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
Old 02-05-10, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, if I go to a restaurant on March 17 and the place serves corned beef and cabbage & colors their beer green, is it racist?
Old 02-05-10, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My work did the exact same thing for MLK day.
Old 02-05-10, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoyalTea View Post
So, if I go to a restaurant on March 17 and the place serves corned beef and cabbage & colors their beer green, is it racist?
Originally Posted by Nazgul View Post
My work did the exact same thing for MLK day.
That's not racist, just weird.
Old 02-05-10, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Instead of aquafina it should be grape soda. That Walgreens cotton ball section had me
Old 02-05-10, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Larry C. View Post
Instead of aquafina it should be grape soda.
Yes. Grape soda and watermelon for dessert would have put in the questionable category.
Old 02-05-10, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you call it soul food, I think you are in the clear.
Old 02-05-10, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dork View Post
That's not racist, just weird.
I don't think it was racist either, although I'm not sure that was such a great way to honor MLK.
Old 02-05-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
Yes. Grape soda and watermelon for dessert would have put in the questionable category.
Not to mention Kool-Aid

Now that would go too far....
Old 02-05-10, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Wow.

This thread brings it.
Old 09-12-13, 09:47 AM
Suspended

University of Alabama Sororities Still Won't Rush Black Women

In a fantastic and depressing exposť, the Crimson White reports that at least four traditionally white sororities at the University of Alabama had their alumnae blatantly block two black women from pledging this year, women that current sorority members had already targeted as prime candidates who they wanted to offer bids to.

The sororities mentioned in the article are Alpha Gamma Delta, Tri Delta, Chi Omega and Pi Beta Phi, four sororities part of a robust Greek life at UA that felt they were, in the words of Alpha Gamma Delta member Melanie Gotz, "powerless over the alums":

“People are too scared of what the repercussions are of maybe taking a black girl,” Gotz said. “That’s stupid, but who’s going to be the one to make that jump? How much longer is it going to take till we have a black girl in a sorority? It’s been years, and it hasn’t happened.”
Another unnamed member of Tri Delta agreed:

“To my knowledge, the president and the rush chair and our rush advisors were behind this, and if we had been able to pledge her, it would’ve been an honor,” the Tri Delta member said. “However, our [alumnae] stepped in and went over us and had her dropped.”

“Not a lot of rushees get awesome scores,” the Tri Delta member said. “Sometimes sisters [of active members] don’t get that. [She] got excellent scores. The only thing that kept her back was the color of her skin in Tri Delt. She would have been a dog fight between all the sororities if she were white.”
The national headquarters of all four Greek organizations have denied having anything to do with pressing the chapters to reject these women. The Crimson reports that UA's Pi Beta Phi alumane said they would pull funding from the sorority if one of the women pledged.

University of Alabama's traditional white sororities haven't pledged a black woman since Carla Ferguson pledged Gamma Phi Beta in 2003. She was also not coincidentally at all the first black woman to ever get a bid. Unfortunately for Ferguson, her acceptance was tainted by suggestions that the only reason the sorority offered her a spot was because of political pressure from the ominously named "Machine", a group of white sororities and fraternities, who allegedly threatened Gamma Phi Beta, telling them that their social calendar would improve if they let in a black woman. A few years before that, Melody Twiley attempted to Rush traditional white sororities two years in a row and was rejected both times.

Ironically, just a month ago AL.com published a piece wondering if this was the year UA sororities would become more diverse, noting that the Greek organizations had begun to face slow but increasing pressure from school officials worried about the racial divide between their organizations. (UA is a school with a noted and famous history of racism.) In 2003, University president Robert Witt said he wasn't surprised that there weren't a lot of black women pledging sororities. “Number one, we’re not dealing with a large pool [of black women],” Witt said. “Number two, the first African-Americans who are accepted are going to be subjected to a lot of media pressure.” In the fall of 2012, 13 percent of UA students were black.

Number three, who would want to join an organization whose former members are going out of their way to avoid them?
http://jezebel.com/university-of-ala...ack-1294674764
Old 09-12-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
I'm appalled!!!

Spoiler:
Black people don't wear fake eye lashes
Old 09-12-13, 09:55 AM
RIP

No purple drank?!?!
Old 09-12-13, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My dorm cafeteria in college did something very similar to this, but in addition to fried chicken and collared greens, we also had ribs and watermelon. Seriously.
Old 09-12-13, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Glad that is getting publicized. I would expect that the national chapters will start to impose a type of quota system as a result. National chapters don't like this kind of press.
Old 09-12-13, 12:24 PM
RIP

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Glad that is getting publicized. I would expect that the national chapters will start to impose a type of quota system as a result. National chapters don't like this kind of press.
Now THAT is racist.
Old 09-12-13, 12:28 PM
Banned

I'm shocked...SHOCKED, I tell you ...that groups based upon excluding others would be involved in something like this.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.