DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Religion, Politics and World Events (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events-47/)
-   -   Glenn Beck is a genius Part II (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-politics-world-events/568854-glenn-beck-genius-part-ii.html)

TheBigDave 02-01-10 12:24 AM

Glenn Beck is a genius Part II

Lots of Glenn Beck fans and haters in this forum. But you can't deny the guy's a genius.

He's got the #3 show on cable news. It's the #1 show if you compare his percentage of viewers vs prime time shows. His radio show is #4 in the country with over 6.5 Million listeners. And his books have been #1 on the New York Times Bestseller List in four separate categories.

So here's a new thread for the lovers and haters.

TheBigDave 02-01-10 12:24 AM

re: Glenn Beck is a genius Part II

Beck has a field day with the Chris Matthews "I Forgot He Was Black" comment.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BG_zq9xM4Vc&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BG_zq9xM4Vc&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

kvrdave 02-01-10 01:25 AM

I didn't know that he had a radio show. I've now seen his tv show twice and it is hard for me to watch. His schtick is just too far out there, but my parents are faithful watchers. They don't care for his mannerisms either, but old people will apparently put up with it.

kvrdave 02-01-10 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 9974591)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BG_zq9xM4Vc&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BG_zq9xM4Vc&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Just watched. That is far better than the tv shows I saw of him. It was really funny and I like that he has two other guys that talk during the show. I just can't stand Hannity and the way he goes about it, but Beck appears to be having a fun time and he makes an incredible point. Imagine if Rush had said what Matthews said. :eek: Liberals would come uncorked. But liberals are allowed to make racial comments and have them dismissed in a way that I don't understand. I have always felt that race is a much bigger issue to liberals. They seemingly can't stop thinking about it.

RoyalTea 02-01-10 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 9974591)

I have a feeling that people will call Glenn Beck a racist for these comments.

sracer 02-01-10 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 9974777)

Count on it.

This is one of Beck's more sane moments.

VinVega 02-01-10 09:46 AM

So I guess this can be a continuation of Glen Beck is an Idiot part I?

We can make this a part II to keep the fun rolling.

DeputyDave 02-01-10 09:54 AM

Re: Glenn Beck is a genius Part II

I have watched his show maybe a half dozen times in total (and I'm not sure if I've ever watched the whole hour), but when ever I'm in my car during the mornings (which is very rarely) I tune in. I think his radio show has moments where it is very, very good (perhaps my second favorite conservative host) but the three hour format allows Beck to delve even deeper into his moments of lunacy, which sometimes get uncomfortable.

Also, being an atheist, I simply don’t get into some of his more religious Christian rants. They don’t bother me, I just have no interest and generally change the channel then. It’s tough being an atheist conservative. You agree with someone 80% of the time and then they go off the rails and ruin the vibe.

Dr Mabuse 02-01-10 10:08 AM

http://therealbarackobama.files.word...eck-glenn2.jpg

Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?

Yes.

Morons!

Groucho 02-01-10 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 9974645)
I didn't know that he had a radio show.

:lol: He's got a giant billboard by the freeway here in Salt Lake City.

Chew 02-01-10 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse (Post 9974927)
Morons!

:lol:

I can even see a little Vizzini in that picture.

JasonF 02-01-10 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by RoyalTea (Post 9974777)

-ohbfrank- Why does everything have to be about how hard it is to be a conservative in the big mean world? It can't simply be that Chris Matthews said something stupid and racist -- it has to be that Chris Matthews said something stupid and racist and somehow they are going to blame poor little Glen Beck for it?

Anyway, as shocked as I am to be saying this, I think Glen Beck was absolutely right here. I really agree with Cackling Henchman Number Two at the end: Every major speech, Chris Matthews outdoes himself with a stupid comment.

wendersfan 02-01-10 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 9975130)
Every major speech, Chris Matthews outdoes himself with a stupid comment.

How did Jon Stewart put it? "Chris Matthews is just one Scotch away from being Ron Burgundy."

kvrdave 02-01-10 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 9975130)
-ohbfrank- Why does everything have to be about how hard it is to be a conservative in the big mean world? It can't simply be that Chris Matthews said something stupid and racist -- it has to be that Chris Matthews said something stupid and racist and somehow they are going to blame poor little Glen Beck for it?

It isn't how hard it is to be a conservative, it is how statements that can be seen as racist are career enders for conservatives and glossed over for liberals. I don't think Beck was talking about racism so much as the double standard, which is the same thing the Harry Reid deal was about.

RoyalTea 02-01-10 01:04 PM

I just think there are some people who will question why and how Glen Beck came up with all those examples so quickly. As if it's something he thinks all the time, but knows enough not to say.

JasonF 02-01-10 01:15 PM

Ah, that old standby of the pundit: "some people." Some people say that Barack Obama is an alien from the planet Zebulon bent on stealing our precious bodily fluids. Is it irresponsible to speculate? No! It would be irresponsible not to speculate!

DeputyDave 02-01-10 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave (Post 9975234)
It isn't how hard it is to be a conservative, it is how statements that can be seen as racist are career enders for conservatives and glossed over for liberals. I don't think Beck was talking about racism so much as the double standard, which is the same thing the Harry Reid deal was about.

Don't bother. He won't see it, and won't admit it if he does. I don't see how anyone can not admit a double standard exists.

classicman2 02-01-10 01:37 PM

Chris Matthews should return to writing books and leave the broadcast media forever.

He is (was) a good writer.

Groucho 02-01-10 01:39 PM

Why do the liberals and MSM hate Beck so much? Is it because they know he speaks the truth, a truth they try desperately to hide?

Just asking questions, folks.

VinVega 02-01-10 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9975294)
Why do the liberals and MSM hate Beck so much? Is it because they know he speaks the truth, a truth they try desperately to hide?

In our next episode, how Groucho's computer was hacked by a conservative think tank.

kvrdave 02-01-10 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9975294)

:lol: I do wonder why anyone pays much attention to him.

Groucho 02-01-10 04:09 PM

They actually filled an arena in BYU last year for a fourth of July show featuring Beck, The Jonas Brothers, and Fireworks. Something for everyone, I suppose.

Mr. Salty 02-01-10 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by TheBigDave (Post 9974590)
But you can't deny the guy's a genius.

I hereby formally deny that Glenn Beck is a genius.

eXcentris 02-01-10 05:40 PM

Did you know that Beck claims that Che Guevara was a racist :)

Groucho 02-01-10 05:46 PM

Glenn Beck seems to think everybody but him is a racist. In that regard, he would make a great liberal.