Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Yale cancels shirt with "offensive" F. Scott Fitzgerald quote.

Old 12-29-09, 03:28 PM
Political Exile

Yale cancels shirt with "offensive" F. Scott Fitzgerald quote.

Political correctness has gone way, way, way too far.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/un...ensive-shirts/

Freshman Class Council scraps offensive shirts

By Jordi Gasso

Contributing Reporter

Published Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Freshman Class Council has run into controversy with its T-shirts for The Game.

The FCC has decided to change the design of its shirts after the original design, which was submitted by students and voted on by the freshman class, sparked outcry from members within the gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender community. But after the LGBT Cooperative and other students raised concerns about the design — which contained the word “sissies” — administrators asked the FCC to reconsider. FCC representatives decided Tuesday to scrap the old T-shirts, which had not yet been printed, and make a new design.

The original design, which won out over five other entries, displayed an F. Scott Fitzgerald quote in the front — “I think of all Harvard men as sissies” — in bold white letters. The back of the long-sleeved, navy blue T-shirt said “WE AGREE” in capital letters, with “The Game 2009” scrawled in script underneath it.

But the term ‘sissies’ is considered offensive and demeaning, and as well as a “thinly-veiled gay slur,” said Julio Perez-Torres ’12, a member of the LGBT Co-op.

After the winning design was announced, FCC President Brandon Levin ’13 said, several students raised concerns about the design to their respective FCC representatives, which they in turn brought to the attention of the FCC Executive Board and Dean of Freshman Affairs Raymond Ou.

The LGBT Co-op first heard about the T-shirts from a member of the Yale College Council, LGBT Co-op Coordinator Rachel Schiff ’10 said. She followed suit by contacting the dean and master of her college — Silliman — to encourage dialogue among the Co-op, administrators and FCC.

Ou said Wednesday that he first heard about the winning T-shirt design when FCC brought the complaints to him. In response, he told the FCC chairs to meet with the concerned students face to face. Shortly after he told FCC to respond to the co-op’s concerns, Ou said, he told Yale College Dean Mary Miller about the issue, and she decided to pull the design.

“What purports to be humor by targeting a group through slurs is not acceptable,” Miller said in an e-mail to the News.

Still, FCC representatives had concluded they would not make their final decision until they met with the co-op.

“Independently of Dean Miller’s decision, our primary concern was that no one was hurt, offended or felt uncomfortable with ourT-shirts,” Levin said.

After that discussion, he said, representatives decided to withdraw that design and opt for a different one, featuring a white ‘H’ in the front inside a transluscent white circle, with a white line slashed through it.

Levin, the FCC president, said the council had thought the Fitzgerald quote simply represented the traditional rivalry between Yale and Harvard.

Ou said when he first met with the FCC about the T-shirt design submissions, he and the FCC mainly discussed the more sexually explicit ones.

“I think the Harvard-Yale rivalry brings out the best and worst in our students,” he said.

YCC President Jon Wu ’11, who said he has been advising the FCC on the issue, said the problem was that the line of people that approved the shirts did not realize the word “sissies” was offensive.

“None of us realized the connotation,” Wu said in an e-mail to the News. “No member of the Yale community should feel marginalized.”

But Sophia Shapiro ’11, the other co-coordinator of the LGBT Co-op, said despite the fact the Fitzgerald design won with over 50 percent of the more than 800 freshman voters, she thought people would have thought differently had they realized the potentially homophobic connotations of the term “sissies.” She said this incident is an opportunity to educate the Yale community.

“I commend the FCC for their revolutionary measure,” she said. “They acted of their own accord without any administrative involvement.”

Levin of the FCC said the council incurred some extra costs from the changing the design, and that they expect some students to ask for refunds on the shirts.

FCC will be selling the new shirts in Commons the rest of the week.
Old 12-29-09, 03:30 PM

Re: Yale cancels shirt with "offensive" F. Scott Fitzgerald quote.

What a bunch of pussies. I'm rooting for Harvard.
DVD Talk Ruler

What a bunch of sissies!
DVD Talk God

The gay groups do themselves no favors and garner no sympathy when they do things like this. Sissies is a thinly veiled gay slur?
Old 12-29-09, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
The gay groups do themselves no favors and garner no sympathy when they do things like this. Sissies is a thinly veiled gay slur?
Next thing you know we won't be able to call Harley riders "****" any more.
Old 12-29-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

From dictionary.com:
sis⋅sy  [sis-ee]
–noun
1. an effeminate boy or man.
2. a timid or cowardly person.
3. a little girl.
Yeah, can't see how that would cause any problems.
Old 12-29-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
From dictionary.com:

You sissy.

From dictionary.com:

ef⋅fem⋅i⋅nate

–adjective
1. (of a man or boy) having traits, tastes, habits, etc., traditionally considered feminine, as softness or delicacy.
2. characterized by excessive softness, delicacy, self-indulgence, etc.: effeminate luxury.
I don't see any mention of gay in that definition?

Last edited by aktick; 12-29-09 at 03:41 PM.
Old 12-29-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If anything, the idea that homosexuality is inextricably linked with femininity is offensive.
Old 12-29-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
From dictionary.com:

Oh no....dictionary facts....that don't back up your point.

ALL CLEAR!
Old 12-29-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Really Otters? REALLY? You don't know that "sissy" is a term that has often been used to describe gay men?

I guess it shouldn't surprise me that the people who don't see a problem with this are the same people who probably don't have to deal with the consequences.
Old 12-29-09, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

eh, i always thought it meant whimpy.
Old 12-29-09, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk God

It has also been used to describe sissies, pussies, wusses, etc. that are not gay.

Is every adjective that has been used to describe gay men off limits and offensive? Can I say that another dude has fashion sense, or have I just called him gay?
Old 12-29-09, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk God

I can honestly say I've never heard the word 'sissy' used to describe a gay man. It's basically the same thing as 'wussy' or 'wuss' or 'wimp.' Are those gay terms too?
Old 12-29-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fuck those sissies.
Old 12-29-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, really. Some of them are hot.
Old 12-29-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-29-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
I can honestly say I've never heard the word 'sissy' used to describe a gay man. It's basically the same thing as 'wussy' or 'wuss' or 'wimp.' Are those gay terms too?
ditto
Old 12-29-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

maybe this is a regional thing?
Old 12-29-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk God

I join with Red Dog. I haven't heard that either.
Old 12-29-09, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm glad they went back to their original shirt design, "Harvard men suck cock for free."
Old 12-29-09, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I've never heard of it either. But I guess if it offends 1% of the population then everyone should immediately stop using it. People get offended over the stupidest lamest stuff .. this just an example. What happened to "We're here, we're queer. Get over it!". Hey.. The word "Sissies" has been around for a long long time. Get over it.
Old 12-29-09, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What a bunch of nancies...like every other Ivy Leaguer.
Old 12-29-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

'I'm so sensitive and enlightened I wouldn't dare use a word that anyone might be offended by.'

What a fucking joke this PC nonsense is.

Fuck Yale.
Old 12-29-09, 10:09 PM

Blaming Yale is a mistake--the Eli freshmen opted for this slogan, and the administration of Yale had nothing to do with the change. The freshman class's 18-year-old representatives in the student government are the ones bowing from pressure from the LGBT, as would any good politician on a liberal campus. Changing the slogan is the simplest way of avoiding the potential headache of offending an outspoken minority group.

Sissy derives from sis, meaning an effeminate man. Having known gay men who were effeminate as well as those who were not, I don't see a reason for the LGBT to object to the word outside of taking a defensive posture and making their organization more visible in the student community. On the other hand, defensiveness to any imagined slight is not unique to college students and minorities.
Old 12-29-09, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Harvard should make a shirt:
"If Fitzgerald were alive today, he'd be ashamed of all you Yale sissies."

But they probably have the same PC police at Harvard.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.