Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Would you vote for Sarah Palin for President of the U.S. in the general election?
No
67.33%
Yes
25.74%
Maybe
6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Old 12-13-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
She does actually have a very good chance of winning.
I agree, if by "a very good chance" you mean "no chance".
Old 12-13-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moved to Politics?

Set wharrgarbl to stun!
Old 12-13-09, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes
Old 12-13-09, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 530 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
Seriously what generates the anger to call her a ****?
Because at a recent appearance here in the Twin Cities, she would only sign copies of her book and only if the people presented a receipt indicating they had just purchased it from Barnes and Noble.

That's a **** move if I ever saw one.
Old 12-13-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 327 Likes on 211 Posts

I would think that anyone really passionate about health care reform, or at least the progressive version of it, would have little trouble harnessing enough anger to call her a "****."
Old 12-13-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Because at a recent appearance here in the Twin Cities, she would only sign copies of her book and only if the people presented a receipt indicating they had just purchased it from Barnes and Noble.

That's a **** move if I ever saw one.
Among other rules outlined by the Mall of America for Monday's Sarah Palin book signing:
•No camping out on mall property.
•Line starts at 5 a.m. between Sears and Bloomingdales.
•Maximum of two book singed per person.
•No memorabilia.
•No personalization.
•No chairs in the line area
•No photos, cameras or cell pho.nes on the stage area.
•No bags on the stage.
•If you get out of line, you must go to the back.
Were these her guidlines or the Mall of America's? The article doesn't make that clear.
I don't know but it sounds like the MOA and B&N making sure they get the sale.

Isn't it pretty standard that if a book store sponsors a book signing the book store expects you to buy the book from them?
Old 12-13-09, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cheato View Post
If you replace the Palin effigy with one of Obama, does it become racist?

(I am sure I'm not the first one to ask this question.)

When did it become OK to go around calling someone a "****?" And is it only conservatives that we can call ****s now, because there are quite a few liberals I'd like to call ****s, too, if we're doing that.

This is particularly ironic, coming from big_whoppa. Or should I say "palticuralry?"

Sucks when derogatory statements are on the other foot, huh?

BTW, I should say that because I teach, among other things, English pronunciation, in an Asian country, I can say things like that and not be considered a racist. Here, they just think it's funny.
Why do you have a problem with ****? Guys are called dicks so women who deserve the term can be called a ****.

And what the hell is palticuralry. It's not even in the dictionary. Ironic because? There is no irony there.

I suppose you're bitter the **** didn't become President.
Old 12-13-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 288 Posts

The "****" shirts and effigy are utterly idiotic and inappropriate (The effigy was quickly taken down, if I recall correctly, as it should have been). Period. Full stop. But the same goes for the Obama-as-Hitler, Obama-with-hammer-and-sickle, and baldly racist posters seen at tea-party and sundry anti-Obama rallies.
Old 12-13-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 618 Likes on 409 Posts

I'm glad this thread is staying in Other, instead of being moved to Politics. It allows us to read the opinions of real Americans.

Edit: Oh well. It's moved now.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 12-13-09 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-13-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 618 Likes on 409 Posts

To answer the original question: No, Sarah Palin won't be elected president. There is a large number of people who are ignorant and proud of it, and she is an expert at appealing to them, but they don't have enough votes to elect her by themselves.
Old 12-13-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Pretty much. And she'll set the stage for another round of phony liberal backlash.
As opposed to the current round of phony conservative backlash?

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
To answer the original question: No, Sarah Palin won't be elected president. There is a large number of people who are ignorant and proud of it, and she is an expert at appealing to them, but they don't have enough votes to elect her by themselves.
As opposed to many who voted for Obama and dont know they are ignorant. I wonder how that lady waiting for her mortgage payment is doing?
Old 12-13-09, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Old 12-13-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume View Post
The "****" shirts and effigy are utterly idiotic and inappropriate (The effigy was quickly taken down, if I recall correctly, as it should have been). Period. Full stop. But the same goes for the Obama-as-Hitler, Obama-with-hammer-and-sickle, and baldly racist posters seen at tea-party and sundry anti-Obama rallies.
It appears the effigy was part of a Halloween display which would be taken down anyway. Some neighbors complained but no charges were filed.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/US-...15131042?f=rss
Old 12-13-09, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 530 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugent View Post
Were these her guidlines or the Mall of America's? The article doesn't make that clear.
I don't know but it sounds like the MOA and B&N making sure they get the sale.

Isn't it pretty standard that if a book store sponsors a book signing the book store expects you to buy the book from them?
I'm not sure either, but I'm sure Sarah Palin could have done whatever she wanted.

And I've never been to a book signing, but it seems weird that you have to purchase the book from that store and present a receipt. Plus, the signing wasn't actually in B&N. It's close to the store, but people had to go there first, buy the book then go get in line. Ridiculous.

Not to mention the fact that they would have probably bought the book there anyway.

Last edited by Draven; 12-13-09 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-13-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
I'm not sure either, but I'm sure Sarah Palin could have done whatever she wanted.

And I've never been to a book signing, but it seems weird that you have to purchase the book from that store and present a receipt. Plus, the signing wasn't actually in B&N. It's close to the store, but people had to go there first, buy the book then go get in line. Ridiculous.

Not to mention the fact that they would have probably bought the book there anyway.
I have no idea who set the rules, but I can't imagine that is worth calling someone a ****.
Old 12-13-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 199 Likes on 117 Posts

I've only been to two book signings, but both required buying the book there.
Old 12-13-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The problem with c**t is that NO liberals like Pelosi and the other mad cows in Califonia are referred to in that manner. Only Sarah.
Old 12-13-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JANK View Post
The problem with c**t is that NO liberals like Pelosi and the other mad cows in Califonia are referred to in that manner. Only Sarah.
Uh. I am a native Californian. And, in many ways, can be considered 'liberal.' And I have called both Pelosi and Feinstein - not to mention H. Clinton - c**ts. See, just because someone has a label that may correspond with one of mine, does not mean I support them. I am more interested in what they do, and what all those c**ts do, including Palin (who is one of the worst) is perpetuate greed and a system that justifies inequality through idiotic ideologies that far too many people buy into. So much for your insights...

Last edited by van der graaf; 12-13-09 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-13-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

If the Republicans are stupid enough to nominate her, they'll deserve the national embarassment that would be the 2012 election. She has about as much chance of beating Obama as Mondale did of beating Reagan. They need to pick someone with a little more independent appeal - like a Charlie Crist or a John Thune.
Old 12-13-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
If the Republicans are stupid enough to nominate her, they'll deserve the national embarassment that would be the 2012 election. She has about as much chance of beating Obama as Mondale did of beating Reagan. They need to pick someone with a little more independent appeal - like a Charlie Crist or a John Thune.
It won't be about her, it will be about the state of the economy and the US. Most said Hillary had no way to win, but if nominated, she would have been. The person that can make Palin the next president is Obama. He seems to want that, currently. And if you think Palin would be disaster, it only means that Obama wants disaster for this country, because he is making it happen.
Old 12-13-09, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
It won't be about her, it will be about the state of the economy and the US. Most said Hillary had no way to win, but if nominated, she would have been. The person that can make Palin the next president is Obama. He seems to want that, currently. And if you think Palin would be disaster, it only means that Obama wants disaster for this country, because he is making it happen.
Look, I am no fan of Clinton. But to compare Palin - including her chances at the presidency - to her in any way is ridiculous.
Old 12-13-09, 03:51 PM

Are you serious? I've heard plenty of awful things said about Pelosi much worse than '****'.
Old 12-13-09, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by van der graaf View Post
Look, I am no fan of Clinton. But to compare Palin - including her chances at the presidency - to her in any way is ridiculous.
I was actually comparing the amount of hate "the other side" has for the two women. But don't kid yourself about Clinton. She is where she is because her husband was president and then she ran for Senate in a state where she had no ties, but would elect a liberal with a name like Clinton. If she had left Bill for his behavior years ago, she'd be a footnote in history.
Old 12-13-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk God

I've referred to Pelosi as a **** on several occasions.
Old 12-13-09, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
I was actually comparing the amount of hate "the other side" has for the two women. But don't kid yourself about Clinton. She is where she is because her husband was president and then she ran for Senate in a state where she had no ties, but would elect a liberal with a name like Clinton. If she had left Bill for his behavior years ago, she'd be a footnote in history.
Perhaps, but, unlike Palin, she does not come off as barely brighter than an igneous rock.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.