Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: Would you vote for Sarah Palin for President of the U.S. in the general election?
No
67.33%
Yes
25.74%
Maybe
6.93%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Old 01-11-10, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Is Sarah Palin going to be our next President?

Originally Posted by Hank Ringworm View Post
I would posit that a world leader, in a democratic world, need not have "intellectual curiosity" (by which I believe many mean "propensity toward new liberalism" -- upholding the established order requires no intellectual daringness, only intellectual sense and humility). Practical curiosity, now that's what a world leader should have.
Should a world leader know why there is a North and a South Korea?
Old 01-11-10, 02:39 PM
X
Administrator

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Or how many states there are in the U.S.?
Old 01-11-10, 04:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post

Palin just signed a multi-year contract with FoxNews.
And they deserve her.... thoroughly. And all of the "insight" that she will bring to the network.
Old 01-11-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Her signing is a win for both Fox & her.

Fox draws even further ahead in the ratings. They're already killing MSNBC & CNN.

She keeps in the limelight.
Old 01-11-10, 04:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post

Fox draws even further ahead in the ratings. They're already killing MSNBC & CNN.

A win for Fox? Perhaps....for now, while many of the seemingly ADD-stricken in our country enjoy her presence, for some horrid reason completely beyond me. She will wear her welcome out as soon as she begins to speak daily, and mark my words, you'll see thousands of dyed-in-the-wool Republicans distance themselves from her ASAP. You'll see. She will shipwreck her own chances, live before our eyes (repeat at 11).
Old 01-11-10, 05:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was sincerely hoping that she would get an Oprah-style talk show on ABC or something. I think she's hilarious and welcome her as a media personality, but I'm not going to watch Fox just for her.
Old 01-11-10, 05:18 PM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I sense a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of Keith Olberman fans suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced
The jokes on you, Olberman only has "dozens" of fans (if that).
Old 01-11-10, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
A win for Fox? Perhaps....for now, while many of the seemingly ADD-stricken in our country enjoy her presence, for some horrid reason completely beyond me. She will wear her welcome out as soon as she begins to speak daily, and mark my words, you'll see thousands of dyed-in-the-wool Republicans distance themselves from her ASAP. You'll see. She will shipwreck her own chances, live before our eyes (repeat at 11).
Or she won't. I won't watch, but I doubt it will be the train wreck where people flee from her. But I also don't think she has any chance in 2012.
Old 01-11-10, 05:28 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
The jokes on you, Olberman only has "dozens" of fans (if that).
Yeah, that's a phrase I never thought I'd hear... "millions of Keith Olberman fans".
Old 01-11-10, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

Agreed. Not only that but she will be brought in to talk about certain things and she will have time to prepare. This will help her come across as knowledgeable about these various topics and I think that will certainly help her with her future aspirations.

On the flip side more time on the screen will mean more ammunition for the opposing side (audio/video of her stating a controversial opinion, etc..). But I think overall it's a win-win for her and Fox.
Old 01-11-10, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Fox will certainly do almost anything...

anything.
Old 01-11-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
I don't agree with you.

I believe you're engaging in wishful thinking.
Old 01-11-10, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't agree either. I would bet the majority of the Fox viewership likes her. I did find this kind of funny however.

Some Democrats scoffed at the melding of the Palin and Fox brands. "Not since Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag has there been a couple so well suited for one another," said Hari Sevugan, the Democratic National Committee's press secretary.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

Old 01-11-10, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk God

I'll go even further. I'll bet a number of our members like her, but they feel 'obligated' to be very critical of her.
Old 01-11-10, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Probably equal to the number of members who have no political requirement to hate her, yet still abhor her
Old 01-11-10, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 198 Posts

I'm indifferent.
Old 01-12-10, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez View Post
Probably equal to the number of members who have no political requirement to hate her, yet still abhor her
probably not
Old 01-12-10, 03:23 AM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like her. I think she has charisma and presence. I don't think she has what it takes to run anything larger than a township, though.
Old 01-12-10, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll go even further. I'll bet a number of our members like her, but they feel 'obligated' to be very critical of her.
Old 01-12-10, 06:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight View Post
^

So you admit that Palin was overwhelmed, failed to do her homework and was (is) ignorant of foreign policy and state that she came off "pretty well" but you still call the piece a "hatchet job" and call CBS "biased".

Really?

Ummm...yeah. I thought that was pretty obvious.

I am saying that even the author of the book who spent lots of time during the campaign with Palin was saying that she was a very quick study. I expected the "revelations" to repeat the accusations that she was a diva, when the worst he said was that she seemed overwhelmed & didn't adequately prepare for the interview...which was definitely NOT a criticism directed toward her preparation for the convention and the VP candidates debate.

In saying that Palin "came off pretty well", I was not commenting on her fitness to be the VP. I suppose one could argue that Palin should have declined the offer to run for the office when she realized that she was out of her depth. If anything, the McCain "team" came across pretty awful since the author claims that the only "vetting" of Palin amounting to one lawyer doing an internet search. He claims no one even went to Alaska to conduct an investigation before the decision was made to offer her the spot.

One might criticize Palin for her lack of foreign policy experience, but would that not apply to many governors and other elected officials? I got the impression that the 15-16 hours of daily cramming were full of comprehensive, detailed analyses of foreign policy rather than just general knowledge. Do you not feel that most people in that situation would have become fatigued and overwhemed? It's not like McCain, Biden, or Obama...all who had years to prepare.

Again, I was merely referring to the fact that she came across as being reasonably intelligent & able to grasp facts quickly as opposed to the depiction of her as a uniquely stupid person without any hope for improvement. I thought it also spoke well of her that she could be upbeat & cheerful during the campaign stops & personal appearances even though the pressure of the media scrutiny (and ridicule) was getting to her behind the scenes.

And, yes...I still think it's a hatchet job when a network ignores CURRENT, BREAKING news that could have a real effect on a POWERFUL senator's RE-ELECTION efforts rather than

Don't you agree that the former is more in line with the goals of a real news organization?

(BTW...the Reid issue continues to make news. More stories yesterday & more columns today...and 60 Minutes completely ignored the story to concentrate on Sarah Palin. No agenda there, I'm sure)

Last edited by creekdipper; 01-12-10 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-12-10, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

probably not
Your right...because I believe there are virtually no people who 'secretly' like her but fake it for partisan reasons.

But that may be because I utterly despise everything she stands for and am not a liberal
Old 01-12-10, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk God

You are one for using rather strong words - abhor, despise, etc.

Do you have anymore?

Or more likely - you're prone to exaggeration.

Old 01-12-10, 09:49 AM

Received 159 Likes on 115 Posts

You are one for using rather strong words - abhor, despise, etc.

Do you have anymore?

Or more likely - you're prone to exaggeration.

No, I'm still pretty much with Tommy on this one. She embodies everything in American politics that I cannot abide, and I'm not a liberal either.

Last edited by wendersfan; 01-12-10 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-12-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post

Do you not feel that most people in that situation would have become fatigued and overwhemed? It's not like McCain, Biden, or Obama...all who had years to prepare.

And, yes...I still think it's a hatchet job when a network ignores CURRENT, BREAKING news that could have a real effect on a POWERFUL senator's RE-ELECTION efforts rather than

Don't you agree that the former is more in line with the goals of a real news organization?

(BTW...the Reid issue continues to make news. More stories yesterday & more columns today...and 60 Minutes completely ignored the story to concentrate on Sarah Palin. No agenda there, I'm sure)
The difference is that MCCain, Biden and Obama were QUALIFIED to be president because they had "years to prepare". Out of all of the qualified individuals available, McCain and team chose an inexperienced local politician. It's like having access to all of the great legal minds in the country and picking Harriett Myers for the Supreme Court...

You seem to confuse CBS News and 60 minutes. You accuse CBS News of ignoring the Reid story, which they haven't. 60 minutes did not include it as part of their story, but that's their call.

And as for the Reid "story"; Reid has apologized, Obama has accepted. Move On.
Old 01-12-10, 10:02 AM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Doc Moonlight View Post
The difference is that MCCain, Biden and Obama were QUALIFIED to be president because they had "years to prepare".
I'm still shocked that anyone would say that even more than one of them was qualified. I think we had the least qualified list of finalists ever put together in my lifetime to choose from in the last election.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.