Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Dana Perino "No Terrorist Attacks In America Under Bush"

Old 11-25-09, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dana Perino "No Terrorist Attacks In America Under Bush"

<object width='320' height='260'><param name='movie' value='http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/flash/player.swf'></param><param name='flashvars' value='config=http://mediamatters.org/embed/cfg2?id=200911240056'></param><param name='allowscriptaccess' value='always'></param><param name='allownetworking' value='all'></param><embed src='http://cloudfront.mediamatters.org/static/flash/player.swf' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' flashvars='config=http://mediamatters.org/embed/cfg2?id=200911240056' allowscriptaccess='always' allowfullscreen='true' width='320' height='260'></embed></object>

really?
Old 11-25-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Dana Perino "No Terrorist Attacks In America Under Bush"

Of course she said this on Sean Hannity's show. I think he still every night tries to mention at least once, Terriorist BIll Ayers, Obama's radical views, and rev Wright
Old 11-25-09, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That actually is pretty damn funny.
Old 11-25-09, 10:21 PM
X
Administrator

I think even she would agree that she didn't qualify it well enough.

Had I heard that without knowing to scrutinize what she was saying I would agree with what she said. And I do know about the terrorist attack that was obviously left out as the qualifier.
Old 11-25-09, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Its obvious what she was saying and I agree completely. Bush's greatest success IMO.
Old 11-25-09, 10:57 PM
X
Administrator

I looked up the entire interview and it doesn't appear that she was trying to be very political about the whole thing.

She does define the Fort Hood shootings as terrorism. In my opinion that is up to debate, depending on how much outside influence there was in instigating it.
Old 11-25-09, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X View Post
And I do know about the terrorist attack that was obviously left out as the qualifier.
When you say "the" terrorist attack, are you refering to the anthrax attacks, the DC sniper, the Los Angeles El-Al attack, the Seattle Jewish Federation attack, or the San Francisco SUV attack?

No doubt Perino meant to say "no terrorist attacks since 9/11," as if the fact that it's some kind of badge of honor for President Bush that there was only one incident in which terrorists murdered thousands of Americans on his watch. But the reality is that the "no terrorist attacks since 9/11" slogan is only true if you pretend that all of the other terrorist attacks don't count. And if you're willing to do that -- if you're willing to say that Omeed Aziz Popal and Hesham Mohamad Hadayat and Naveed Afzal Haq are not terrorists -- then it's hard to see how Nidal Malik Hasan qualifies, unless your sole qualifying factor is the party affiliation of the person who happens to be president when the attack occurs.
Old 11-25-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^^ what he said ^^
Old 11-26-09, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
When you say "the" terrorist attack, are you refering to the anthrax attacks, the DC sniper, the Los Angeles El-Al attack, the Seattle Jewish Federation attack, or the San Francisco SUV attack?
There were no terrorist attacks in America under President Bush, except the ones that don't really count, and the big one that wasn't his fault so it doesn't count, either.
Old 11-26-09, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 11-26-09, 12:52 AM
X
Administrator

Which ones of those were plotted by an outside organization that aims to destroy our way of life? Can you tell me the organization that sent them here to do those attacks?

You can include the Unabomber, Son of Sam, Zodiac Killer, Timothy McVeigh, Ted Bundy, etc. if you want to list "terrorist attacks" using your definition.
Old 11-26-09, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Which ones of those were plotted by an outside organization that aims to destroy our way of life? Can you tell me the organization that sent them here to do those attacks?

You can include the Unabomber, Son of Sam, Zodiac Killer, Timothy McVeigh, Ted Bundy, etc. if you want to list "terrorist attacks" using your definition.
I was not aware that terrorist attacks only include those which are "plotted by an outside organization that aims to destroy our way of life" and involve organizations "send[ing people] here." That's good news for Nidal Malik Hasan, I suppose, since he was born and raised in Virginia and was, as far as we know, acting alone.

The Unabomer and Timothy McVeigh certainly committed violent acts against the civiliain population in order to incite terror in furtherance of a political goal. To me, that qualifies as terrorism.
Old 11-26-09, 01:17 AM
X
Administrator

I was not aware that terrorist attacks only include those which are "plotted by an outside organization that aims to destroy our way of life" and involve organizations "send[ing people] here." That's good news for Nidal Malik Hasan, I suppose, since he was born and raised in Virginia and was, as far as we know, acting alone.

The Unabomer and Timothy McVeigh certainly committed violent acts against the civiliain population in order to incite terror in furtherance of a political goal. To me, that qualifies as terrorism.
I think she was talking about a different type than you are. The type that we all feared would occur after 9/11. Not the type that had been going on all along.
Old 11-26-09, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think she was talking about a different type than you are. The type that we all feared would occur after 9/11. Not the type that had been going on all along.
I don't know what type that is, other than the type that allows Ms. Perino to claim that this is the first terrorist attack in the U.S. since 9/11 (giving her the benefit of the doubt that she simply misspoke). There seems to be nothing to distinguish the Ft. Hood attack from other murders perpetrated by extremist Muslims since 9/11, in particular the Los Angeles El-Al attack, the Seattle Jewish Federation attack, and the San Francisco SUV attack. All appear to have been perpetrated by extremist Muslims acting on their own.
Old 11-26-09, 01:36 AM
X
Administrator

At this point, I think it's premature to call the Fort Hood massacre a terrorist act of the type that we've been particularly working to avoid and using the mechanisms that the Bush Administration implemented. That's primarily what I fault her in saying. I don't think we know the circumstances and motivation well enough yet.

I don't think the Obama Administration had any fault in the Fort Hood massacre. I do think institutional political correctness may be a problem though, and that didn't start with the current administration.
Old 11-26-09, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

At this point, I think it's premature to call the Fort Hood massacre a terrorist act of the type that we've been particularly working to avoid, using the mechanisms that the Bush Administration implemented. That's primarily what I fault her in saying. I don't think we know the circumstances and motivation well enough yet.
That seems right to me. The evidence so far suggests that the perpetrator was a lone nut, but this early, I would imagine there is a lot of evidence yet to come to light (or, at least, yet to be shared with the public).
Old 11-26-09, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk God

I don't think you guys are counting the millions of terrorist attacks that Bush's policies kept from happening. Or was that jobs saved? Either way.
Old 11-26-09, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk God

For the record, I don't think of domestic terrorists when I think about "terrorist attacks." Oklahoma City, DC sniper, Ft. Hood, etc. don't come to my mind. I only think of foreign terrorists. We'll always have those because we still have enough civil liberties to make it impossible to rid ourselves of them. I'm okay with that trade off.

Additionally, I think that when we start to call all number of things "terrorism," we will end up politicizing the term to where it is useless.
Old 11-26-09, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

X, please make up your mind in the argument you are going to use to excuse Perino's completely idiotic lie.

ONE] In one post, you acknowledge that Perino considers the Ft Hood killings an Act of Terrorism. In fact, Perino says that it is "important" that the killings be labeled as Terrorism.
Which would mean that by her own definition, the killings cited by JasonF would also be Acts of Terrorism, and they occurred during GWBush's presidency.

So that would mean that the statement: "We did not have a terrorist attack during Pres Bush's term." is a bald-faced lie.
And if it is important that we correctly identify terrorist acts, then her lying about them not happening is also important, and not something that should be excused as a mis-statement.

TWO] Then in another post, you say that Perino must have been talking about different types of violent acts.

But if killings cited by JasonF don't qualify as Acts of Terrorism --and I would suspect that Perino was weel acquainted with the story of the DC sniper killings, then the Ft Hood killings don't qualify as terrorism.
Which begs the question of why Perino would be talking about this at all, except for the opportunity to go on TV and lie and spread misinformation about GWBush's record.

THREE] And I don't know why you would be inclined to grant her the qualification that "9/11" doesn't count in this discussion.

The deadliest and most destructive Act of Terrorism made against the US in 60 years happened when GWBush was president... But that doesn't count?
Or maybe Perino forgot about September 11, 2001 because that is such an unmemorable day?

Or maybe such a minor memory slip is all part of Perino's strategery to go on TV and lie about the Bush administration's record on keeping America safe.
Old 11-26-09, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought she was talking about Al Qaeda attacks. Either way though, she was the press secretary under Bush? And appearing on Hannity?

And while I agree with JasonF on what constitutes "terrorism", from what little I've read about the other instances he quoted, I didn't come across anything stating that the perpertrators were in contact with Al Qaeda whereas Hasan did try to contact them.

Did they ever find out who sent the anthrax? I remember an article in my local paper saying that a scientist was under investigation and that he possibly may have had the motive in order to profit off the vaccines.

Last edited by brayzie; 11-26-09 at 05:45 AM.
Old 11-26-09, 12:28 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
X, please make up your mind in the argument you are going to use to excuse Perino's completely idiotic lie.
Count Dooku, please read post #15 where I said she was wrong in labeling the Fort Hood killings as the type of terrorism that appeared to be the type that she was talking about not having occurred under Bush. And I do think she knew about September 11, 2001 and probably just used verbal shorthand figuring the audience did too and would understand what she was saying. Perhaps a press secretary is used to dealing with a more intelligent audience than they find on opinion shows and sites such as Media Matters that monitor them looking for gotchas.
Old 11-26-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Count Dooku, please read post #15 where I said she was wrong in labeling the Fort Hood killings as the type of terrorism that appeared to be the type that she was talking about not having occurred under Bush.
I did read that post. It's meaningless in this discussion.
Only Perino's definition of what constitutes an Act of Terrorism is meaningful in an analysis of Perino's comments.

Even if you disagree with Perino about labeling the Ft Hood shootings as an Act of Terrorism (which I do), that doesn't change the fact that in your other posts you are attempting to excuse the utter ridiculousness and complete dishonesty of the statement: "We did not have a terrorist attack during Pres Bush's term."

Of course, I hadn't considered the possibility that Perino does not believe that the US was attacked by terrorists on 9/11.

And I do think she knew about September 11, 2001 and probably just used verbal shorthand figuring the audience did too and would understand what she was saying. Perhaps a press secretary is used to dealing with a more intelligent audience than they find on opinion shows and sites such as Media Matters that monitor them looking for gotchas.
And look at that!!

Another attempt to excuse the utter ridiculousness and complete dishonesty of the statement: "We did not have a terrorist attack during Pres Bush's term."

Since you think you know what Perino was saying, perhaps you could explain it to me. Please keep in mind that my reading comprehension skills apply to the English language, not "verbal shorthand".

If you're in the mood, you might also explain how identifying when someone is telling a lie is "a gotcha".
Old 11-28-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stop using these over-broad Bushite definitions of terrorism that have expanded the term to include any swarthy guy who attacks Americans. Hasan attacked soldiers in uniform, not civilians. That makes him a traitor, not a terrorist.
Old 11-28-09, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk God

That seems right to me. The evidence so far suggests that the perpetrator was a lone nut, but this early, I would imagine there is a lot of evidence yet to come to light (or, at least, yet to be shared with the public).

Did you consider Timothy McVeigh a terrorist? Did you consider him a lone nut?

I consider the major a terrorist.

I considered McVeigh a terrorist.
Old 11-28-09, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
Did you consider Timothy McVeigh a terrorist? Did you consider him a lone nut?

I consider the major a terrorist.

I considered McVeigh a terrorist.
I consider McVeigh a terrorist (and a lone nut as well, but the two are not mutually exclusive). However, McVeigh attacked a civillian target. Hasan attacked a military target. That's the sole factor, in my mind, that separates the two of them and points in favor of not considering Hasan a terrorist.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.