Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Sarah Palin Book Signing - Interviews with Supporters

Old 11-24-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sarah Palin Book Signing - Interviews with Supporters

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mKKKgua7wQk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mKKKgua7wQk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Old 11-24-09, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Sarah Palin Book Signing - Interviews with Supporters

Despite the left's attempts to destroy Palin I am still very much a supporter. As a Native Alaskan I've been following her for years and am extremely proud she comes from my home state. I would gladly support her in a presidential run.

I'm assuming the reason for the video is to belittle Palin supporters. Should we compare it to similar videos of Obama supporters and see who looks more idiotic?
Old 11-24-09, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Democrats & 'standard Republicans' don't like her. The left hates her.

She, however, does have a rather devoted following. It's difficult to put a label on her ardent followers - neo-populist, maybe?
Old 11-24-09, 08:56 AM

Despite the left's attempts to destroy Palin I am still very much a supporter. As a Native Alaskan I've been following her for years and am extremely proud she comes from my home state. I would gladly support her in a presidential run.
Seems you're not alone, here's another Alaskan talking about Sarah that's been making the rounds now... There's many links/sources this is just the first one that came up in google

http://www.teapartyofwmi.org/profile...etsell-alaskan
Whetsell, Alaskan Fisherman

* Posted by Patricia Collins on August 16, 2009 at 9:07pm
* View Patricia Collins's blog

By Dewie Whetsell, Alaskan Fisherman
As posted in comments on Greta’s artical referncing the MOVEON ad about Sarah Palin

by Dewey Whetsell

The last 45 of my 66 years I’ve spent in a commercial fishing town in Alaska. I understand Alaska politics but never understood national politics well until this last year. Here’s the breaking point: Neither side of the Palin controversy gets it…It’s not about persona, style, rhetoric, it’s about doing things. Even Palin supporters never mention the things that I’m about to mention here.

1- Democrats forget when Palin was the Darling of the Democrats, because as soon as Palin took the Governor’s office away from a fellow Republican and tough SOB, Frank Murkowski, she tore into the Republican’s “Corrupt Bastards Club” (CBC) and sent them packing. Many of them are now residing in State housing and wearing orange jump suits. The Democrats reacted by skipping around the yard, throwing confetti and singing “la la la la” (well, you know how they are). Name another governor in this country that has ever done anything similar. But while you’re thinking, I’ll continue.

2- Now with the CBC gone, there were fewer Alaskan politicians to protect the huge, giant oil companies here. So, she constructed and enacted a new system of splitting the oil profits called “ACES”. Exxon (the biggest corporation in the world) protested and Sarah told them “don’t let the door hit you in the stern on your way out.” They stayed, and Alaska residents went from being merely wealthy to being filthy rich. Of course the other huge international oil companies meekly fell in line. Again, give me the name of any other governor in the country that has done anything similar.

3- The other thing she did when she walked into the governor’s office is she got the list of State requests for federal funding for projects, known as “pork”. She went through the list, took 85% of them and placed them in the “when-hell-freezes-over” stack. She let locals know that if we need something built, we’ll pay for it ourselves. Maybe she figured she could use the money she got from selling the previous governor’s jet because it was extravagant. Maybe she could use the money she saved by dismissing the governor’s cook (remarking that she could cook for her own family), giving back the State vehicle issued to her, maintaining that she already had a car, and dismissing her State provided security force (never mentioning—I imagine—that she’s packing heat herself). I’m still waiting to hear the names of those other governors.

4- Now, even with her much-ridiculed “gosh and golly” mannerism, she also managed to put together a totally new approach to getting a natural gas pipeline built which will be the biggest private construction project in the history of North America. No one else could do it although they tried. If that doesn’t impress you, then you’re trying too hard to be unimpressed while watching her do things like this while baking up a batch of brownies with her other hand.
5- For 30 years, Exxon held a lease to do exploratory drilling at a place called Point Thompson. They made excuses the entire time why they couldn’t start drilling. In truth they were holding it like an investment. No governor for 30 years could make them get started. This summer, she told them she was revoking their lease and kicking them out. They protested and threatened court action. She shrugged and reminded them that she knew the way to the court house. Alaska won again.

6- President Obama wants the nation to be on 25% renewable resources for electricity by 2025. Sarah went to the legislature and submitted her plan for Alaska to be at 50% renewables by 2025. We are already at 25%. I can give you more specifics about things done, as opposed to style and persona . Everybody wants to be cool, sound cool, look cool. But that’s just a cover-up. I’m still waiting to hear from liberals the names of other governors who can match what mine has done in two and a half years. I won’t be holding my breath.

By the way, she was content to to return to AK after the national election and go to work, but the haters wouldn’t let her. Now these adolescent screechers are obviously not scuba divers. And no one ever told them what happens when you continually jab and pester a barracuda. Without warning, it will spin around and tear your face off. Shoulda known better.
Old 11-24-09, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk God

Is the duplicate post for emphasis?
Old 11-24-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate it when newbies pad their post counts.
Old 11-24-09, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
Sarah Palin - the dumbing-down of greatness. People like her because she's not intelligent and doesn't read and speaks awkwardly... just like them.

"As Putin rears his head and comes into the airspace of the United States of America, where do they go? It's Alaska."
Old 11-24-09, 09:10 AM

There was a huge crowd in Roanoke. Folks were camped out the night before in 30-degree weather.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BgeomclZIg4&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BgeomclZIg4&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x402061&color2=0x9461ca" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

http://roanoke.com/multimedia/video/wb/227300
http://roanoke.com/multimedia/video/wb/227324
Old 11-24-09, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Sarah Palin - the dumbing-down of greatness. People like her because she's not intelligent and doesn't read and speaks awkwardly... just like them.

"As Putin rears his head and comes into the airspace of the United States of America, where do they go? It's Alaska."
I'm sorry you feel that way but you are completely wrong. Regardless I posted dozens of times defending her during the election and I'm sure I will again if she runs. No need to waste my time now.
Old 11-24-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There is no doubt Obama garnered his fair share of uninformed voters as do most other candidates.

It doens't mean Palin is any more or less qualified.
Old 11-24-09, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post
There is no doubt Obama garnered his fair share of uninformed voters as do most other candidates.

except - doesns't - doesn't
Old 11-24-09, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by classicman2 View Post
She, however, does have a rather devoted following. It's difficult to put a label on her ardent followers - neo-populist, maybe?
Isn't she the de facto mascot of the teabaggers?
Old 11-24-09, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sorry you feel that way but you are completely wrong. Regardless I posted dozens of times defending her during the election and I'm sure I will again if she runs. No need to waste my time now.
Yep, no need. Even Bill Krystol who foisted her on the national scene and who was her most vocal defender during the campaign has changed his tune. He's admitted that she has a lot of work ahead to improve her abilities if she is going to be taken seriously in the future.

Republicans and Conservatives blindly embraced her and expected independents to do the same. If people believe that she is the best and brightest of their party or movement it is a sad day.
Old 11-24-09, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SunMonkey View Post

Except that Palin can't speak intelligently about most things. Every interview that I've seen of hers, even on friendly FoxNews, she comes off as someone who is on guide-rails. Whenever Hannity interviews her he carefully crafts the questions so that he seeds it with the answer he is looking for. Oftentimes she doesn't "get it" and his follow up questions attempt to get her back on track.

For me, there's gotta be some substance there... being attacked by the liberal media is not sufficient.

Last edited by sracer; 11-24-09 at 09:39 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 11-24-09, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It absolutely baffles me how anyone could support her. She'll probably even quit her book signing tour early, doncha know...
Old 11-24-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not a fan of Palin. There's about a good chance I'll hold my nose and vote for the Republican candidate in the next election, but I don't think I can do it if she's the candidate.

That said, these types of videos are ridiculous. It's not exactly a newsflash that most Americans are pretty much uninformed idiots when it comes to political issues. You can pick any Republican or Democrat in the country and fill hours and hours of tape with people supporting or criticizing them for factually incorrect, moronic reasons. That doesn't really mean shit and people who think it does are as stupid as those they're criticizing.
Old 11-24-09, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

I like her and would support her if she ran. It baffled me how people could support Obama but I guess you just go with those that closest share your views and go from there - ignoring the negatives. Of course there are a small list of others that I would rather see run than Palin but I think Palin has the best shot of succeeding. Unlike Obama I think she'd really accomplish things and make smart decisions - that would be refreshing.
Old 11-24-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only serious complaint I can hold against her is that she quit her job as governor, for bullshit reasons. And I cannot understand why people love her even more for it.
Old 11-24-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by sracer View Post
Except that Palin can't speak intelligently about most things. Every interview that I've seen of hers, even on friendly FoxNews, she comes off as someone who is on guide-rails. Whenever Hannity interviews her he carefully crafts the questions so that he seeds it with the answer he is looking for. Oftentimes she doesn't "get it" and his follow up questions attempt to get her back on track.

For me, there's gotta be some substance there... being attacked by the liberal media is not sufficient.
So, because you believe she is dumb, is there somehow a point to be made by showing a few uninformed supporters? If there were a video showing some who were able to articulate their support of Palin and the issues well it wouldn't be any different.

Last edited by SunMonkey; 11-24-09 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-24-09, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I like her and would support her if she ran. It baffled me how people could support Obama but I guess you just go with those that closest share your views and go from there - ignoring the negatives. Of course there are a small list of others that I would rather see run than Palin but I think Palin has the best shot of succeeding. Unlike Obama I think she'd really accomplish things and make smart decisions - that would be refreshing.
I would be interested in at least seeing what a prepared and independent candidate Palin could bring to the table before I passed judgment.
Old 11-24-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A prepared and independent Palin would basically guarantee a second term for Obama.
Old 11-24-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
A prepared and independent Palin would basically guarantee a second term for Obama.
I agree, either she is the Republican nom or she needs to stay out. I wouldn't mind her staying vocal in order to keep whomever the GOP picks on a conservative path.
Old 11-24-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

By independent I was meaning running her own campaign.
Old 11-24-09, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Palin has a dedicated base of support, but she remains deeply unpopular with the clear majority of Americans. There's no way she'd win a presidential election, much less a nomination considering the bridges she's burned in the GOP establishment.
Old 11-24-09, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What about Palin makes you proud of her? Is it that she is not intellectually curious? Perhaps it's the fact that she appears to be a pathological liar? Or maybe it's the ongoing feud she's having with an unemployed 19 year old?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.