Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Did Rush Limbaugh just blame Obama for his failure to buy the Rams?

Old 10-20-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Did Rush Limbaugh just blame Obama for his failure to buy the Rams?

Is that the youtube clip where Glenn Beck got molested by some boys at a party or something?
Old 10-20-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Because the right doesn't cry and whine and lie to get their way?
Oh, and don't forget the townhaller's and teabagger's legitimate displays of patriotism!
Old 10-20-09, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
Oh, and don't forget the townhaller's and teabagger's legitimate displays of patriotism!
I sense the sarcasm but do not understand it in this case.
Old 10-20-09, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Because the right doesn't cry and whine and lie to get their way?

Gays will rape your children?
Uhhhhh, link?
Old 10-20-09, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Uhhhhh, link?
I will take this one,

There is no link. Just me tossing bombs so I can continue to call you a racist or homophobe if you have the audacity to question the left.
Old 10-20-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Okay, that is what it felt like.
Old 10-20-09, 02:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
The decision to boot Rush from the team of buyers was made by Republicans, not left-wing loonies.
You mean like the decision to can Van Jones was made by the White House?
Old 10-20-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
I sense the sarcasm but do not understand it in this case.
Really? The point is that whining about bullshit is hardly a 'liberal MO'. An especially rich claim in a thread full of conservatives whining about the liberal boogieman that is increasingly divorced from reality.
Old 10-20-09, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave View Post
Uhhhhh, link?
Well I wasn't really referring to elected officials. I guess in that way I haven't made a valid comparison since the elected officials on the left have been particularly distasteful in this case.

However to defend myself I don't have a "side" in this matter. I don't care if Limbaugh gets a team or not. I don't hate the guy. I just don't listen to his show, since I am not a fan of political talk shows in general. 99% of my political readings come directly from this forum and the articles posted here. I don't even have cable tv anymore! I just get tired of the back and forth, "well your side is worse" bullshit. Both sides are shit, the difference is at any point in time more shit has backed up into the toilet that I consider each party, and that seems to be what people argue over.
Old 10-20-09, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nausicaa View Post
Really? The point is that whining about bullshit is hardly a 'liberal MO'. An especially rich claim in a thread full of conservatives whining about the liberal boogieman that is increasingly divorced from reality.
I was just saying that I fail to see why you claim that "townhaller's and teabagger's" were not showing "legitimate displays of patriotism".

What exactly makes something "legitimate displays of patriotism" in your eyes and why were they not "legitimate"?
Old 10-20-09, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by movielib View Post
What monopoly? Anyone is free to start a rival league., In fact, it's been done at least four times.

The All-American Football Conference started in 1946. It was somewhat successful and three of its teams merged with the NFL, most notably the Cleveland Browns. The American Football League started in 1960 and was very successful and all of its teams eventually merged with the NFL. The World Football League started in 1975 and was a flop. The United States Football League started in 1983 and was a flop.

You can start your own league tomorrow if you want.

You are confusing monopoly with success.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...v._NFL_lawsuit

USFL v. NFL lawsuit
In another effort to keep themselves afloat while at the same time attacking the more established National Football League, the USFL filed an antitrust lawsuit against the older league, claiming it had established a monopoly with respect to television broadcasting rights, and in some cases, to access of stadium venues.

The USFL claimed that the NFL had bullied ABC, CBS and NBC into not televising USFL games in the fall. It also claimed that the NFL had a specific plan to eliminate the USFL, the "Porter Presentation." In particular, the USFL claimed the NFL conspired to ruin the Invaders and Generals. The USFL sought damages of $567 million, which would have been tripled to $1.7 billion under antitrust law. It hoped to void the NFL's contracts with the three major networks. The USFL proposed two remedies: either force the NFL to negotiate new television contracts with only two networks, or force the NFL to split into two competing 14-team leagues, each limited to a contract with one major network.

Each NFL franchise was named as a co-defendant, with the exception of the then-Los Angeles Raiders; Raiders owner Al Davis was a major witness for the USFL. Howard Cosell was also a key witness for the USFL.

The case went to trial in the spring of 1986 and lasted 42 days. On July 29, a six-person jury handed down a verdict that, while technically a victory for the USFL, in fact devastated the league. The jury declared the NFL a "duly adjudicated illegal monopoly," and found that the NFL had willfully acquired and maintained monopoly status through predatory tactics.
However, it rejected the USFL's other claims. The jury found that the USFL had changed its strategy to a more risky goal of merger with the NFL. Furthermore, the switch to a fall schedule caused the loss of several major markets (Philadelphia, Denver, Detroit, Miami and the Bay Area). It has been established that Donald Trump, owner of the Generals, specifically wanted to force a merger knowing that the majority of teams would be eliminated.

Most importantly, the jury found that the NFL did not attempt to force the USFL off television. In essence, the jury felt that while the USFL was harmed by the NFL's de facto monopolization of pro football in the United States, most of its problems were due to its own mismanagement. It awarded the USFL only one dollar in nominal damages, which was tripled under antitrust law to three dollars. It later emerged that the jury incorrectly assumed that the judge could increase the award.

The verdict was a classic Pyrrhic victory. The USFL had essentially staked its future on the outcome of the suit, and considered the television-related claims to be the heart of its case. Almost immediately upon announcement of the verdict, it announced it was suspending operations for the 1986 season, with the intent of returning in 1987. Players signed to contracts were free to sign with NFL (or other professional teams) immediately. Indeed, the NFL had held a draft in 1984 for teams to acquire the rights to USFL players, in the event of the league (or teams in the league) folding. However, it is unlikely the USFL would have been able to put together a viable product in any case. Many of its players had signed contracts with NFL teams after the 1985 season, and the league was some $160 million in debt. With nearly all of its players under contract to the NFL and Canadian Football League, Usher announced the league would stay shuttered in 1987 as well.

The USFL appealed the award, but it was rejected by the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit in 1988. This decision ended any chance of the USFL returning to the field, and the league formally dissolved shortly afterward. However, due to a provision of antitrust law which allows an "injured" party in an antitrust action to recover its attorney fees and costs of litigation, the USFL was awarded over $5.5 million in attorney fees and over $62,000 in court costs. That award was appealed by the NFL; it was affirmed on appeal and ultimately allowed to stand by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1990, long after the USFL had ceased operations.

The USFL finally received a check for $3.76 in damages in 1990, the additional 76 representing interest earned while litigation had continued. Notably, that check has never been cashed.[2]
Woops Movielib, looks like they were right. I had forgot about this
Old 10-20-09, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")

Originally Posted by BKenn01 View Post
Woops Movielib, looks like they were right. I had forgot about this
What's legal is not always what's right. I think the NFL has the moral right (if not the legal "right") to engage in any practice as long as it does not involve initiating force or fraud or using the threat of force. And yes, I think antitrust laws are bullshit.

Last edited by movielib; 10-20-09 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-20-09, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What's legal is not always what's right. I think the NFL has the moral right (if not the "legal" right) to engage in any practice as long as it does not involve initiating force or fraud or using the threat of force. And yes, I think antitrust laws are bullshit.
Thankfully, your view is the distinct minority. Monopolies lead to reduced output and increased prices, thereby creating market inefficiencies. Society is better off as a result of antitrust laws.
Old 10-20-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Thankfully, your view is the distinct minority. Monopolies lead to reduced output and increased prices, thereby creating market inefficiencies. Society is better off as a result of antitrust laws.
I'm aware we disagree. I'm aware I'm in the minority.

Last edited by movielib; 10-20-09 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-20-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm aware we disagree. I'm aware I'm in the minority.
JasonF is a racist.

Actually, racism aside, this may be the first time I have agreed with JasonF. I wish antitrust laws were far more strict. When a company's goal shifts from competition to protection, it's ready to be broken up. Strategies designed to limit consumer choices should be illegal. (I reserve the right to exceptions to this opinion, based on any subsequent possible replies to this point that provide valid examples of where it has arguably helped consumers, such as VHS/Beta, Blu-ray/HD-DVD, etc.)
Old 10-20-09, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa021.html
Old 10-21-09, 12:45 AM
Needs to provide a working email

Originally Posted by mgbfan View Post
Please provide proof of this fact. Or otherwise, let's just disregard it as non-factual.
It's fairly obvious. But you can disregard as much as you want; doesn't bother me.
Old 10-21-09, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cheato View Post
Actually, racism aside, this may be the first time I have agreed with JasonF.
Don't worry -- it gets easier every time.
Old 10-22-09, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Hank Ringworm View Post
It's fairly obvious.
Translation: "I have no proof whatsoever"
Old 10-22-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

When it comes to professional sports, I think most would prefer the best players competing in the same league, even if it means some restricted supply (markets and television) on the product. So while the majority may not generally prefer a monopoly for most goods and services, for something like sports entertainment I think they do.

The reason why the AFL succeeded in the 60s was because 1) the NFL was only on one network (making AFL penetration to a competing network viable) and 2) there wasn't nearly enough supply (12 teams, only 2 west of the Mississippi) for the football demand.
Old 10-22-09, 02:01 PM
Banned

One positive outcome:

Evidently Oakland was so relieved at Limbaugh's exclusion that they finally showed up for a game.

Maybe Bud Adams should leak a rumor that he's considering selling a major share to Rush.
Old 10-22-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Don't worry -- it gets easier every time.
At least until he starts his meds.
Old 10-23-09, 03:39 AM
Needs to provide a working email

<i>Mod note: Personal attack removed</i>

Last edited by nemein; 10-23-09 at 07:30 AM.