Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Republicans happy over Olympic lost?

Old 10-04-09, 09:56 PM

Re: Republicans happy over Olympic lost?

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I presume you know they were split roughly 50-50. You probably also know that a significant proportion of the opposition was coming from the left, and presumably had different motivations from Messrs. Limbaugh, Beck, and Hannity's new-found opposition. Finally, I think you're smart enough to recognize that the aforementioned commentators' glee at the results does not come from a dedication to the best interests of the people of Chicago rather than reflexive opposition to the President.
I am fairly confident that that isn't what the esteemed dork meant by his question.
Old 10-04-09, 09:58 PM

Contemptuous reference to the Corrupt Chicago Democrat Machine ... check.

"President Bush didn't personally fly to the IOC meeting to plead for New York or Chicago, so it wasn't really a failure for President Bush" ... check.

This forum never fails to live down to expectations.

Yeah, you are really stretching lately. Is not Chicago a Democratic stronghold? It has nothing to do, nor was any reference made, to a corrupt machine.
Old 10-04-09, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 View Post
Now you're just making things up. I haven't criticized Obama or Chicago in any of my posts.
Perhaps I unfairly read your post, then. What point were you trying to make by pointing out that President Bush isn't a part of a Republican machine in New York City, or that New York City isn't a Republican stronghold?
Old 10-04-09, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The point was that the Bush/NYC example is not comparable to Obama/Chicago, even remotely.
Hypothetically, if Boston had submitted a bid instead of Chicago, and President Obama had flown to Coppenhagen but the IOC had awarded the Olympics to Rio, do you think the reaction from Beck and Hannity and Limbaugh (et al.) would have been any different?

Sure, there's always room to point out how what President Bush did is different from what President Obama did, because no two situations are ever 100% identical. But at a certain point, don't you have to say "Close enough" and admit that Democrats and Republicans acted differently in similar circumstances?
Old 10-04-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not aware of what the reaction is from Hannity and Limbaugh but if it is negative then I'd say they would have acted similarly.

Do you not see the difference between Obama pimping his left-friendly political home city to the IOC and whatever Bush did for NYC (nothing because the city hates him)? Really?
so it's Obama's fault thay Bush isn't liked in NYC
Old 10-04-09, 11:16 PM
X
Administrator

Sure, there's always room to point out how what President Bush did is different from what President Obama did, because no two situations are ever 100% identical. But at a certain point, don't you have to say "Close enough" and admit that Democrats and Republicans acted differently in similar circumstances?
Although you so wisely observe that "This forum never fails to live down to expectations.", you fail to recognize that Bush was smart enough not to get himself into the same kind of situation where the aura of his greatness and prestige was on the line without knowing what the result would be ahead of time. I doubt he thought his greatness would be enough to persuade an organization like the IOC that they should just go along with Laura and him. The current president thought differently.
Old 10-04-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Los Angeles, Atlanta, and Salt Lake City Olympics both turned profits, and left lasting and valuable improvements to infrastructure in each of those cities.
America has the highest GDP on Earth. Why the hell do we need to host the Olympics once per decade when there are so many other countries that need the economic benefits more than we do? The Olympics are supposed to be a great international festival of sportsmanship and cooperation and all that kumbayah crap, not an excuse for America to aggrandize herself yet again.

You and Obama need to stop being such selfish, jingoistic America Firsters.
Old 10-04-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara View Post
America has the highest GDP on Earth. Why the hell do we need to host the Olympics once per decade when there are so many other countries that need the economic benefits more than we do? The Olympics are supposed to be a great international festival of sportsmanship and cooperation and all that kumbayah crap, not an excuse for America to aggrandize herself yet again.

You and Obama need to stop being such selfish, jingoistic America Firsters.
This is South America's first ever Olympics. Be happy for them.
Old 10-04-09, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

After standing up in front of the UN and putting America down it was refreshing to see the man that did it knocked down a bit himself. Like I posted in the original thread about in the sports forum I support that he tried to do it but he needs to understand that just because he's willing to roll over and beg for everyone to love us - they aren't necessarily going to. Maybe.. Just maybe.. he learned something here.
Old 10-04-09, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X View Post
Although you so wisely observe that "This forum never fails to live down to expectations.", you fail to recognize that Bush was smart enough not to get himself into the same kind of situation where the aura of his greatness and prestige was on the line without knowing what the result would be ahead of time. I doubt he thought his greatness would be enough to persuade an organization like the IOC that they should just go along with Laura and him. The current president thought differently.
ZOMG!!!! The IOC rejected our Olympic bid! Obama's got no credibility left! If only he had done something less uncertain, like invading Iraq.

The USOC asked President Obama to go to Coppenhagen. They thought it would make a difference, and since normal people want the Olympics to come to their country, he did it. I have no idea if the USOC asked President Bush to get involved in the 2012 bid. If they didn't, I don't know what President Bush would have done had they done so.

I do know that it's fucking pathetic to pretend that this was all about Obama and his liberal friends in Chicago and that the rest of the country should be telling them to fuck themselves. I was proud when the Olympics were in Los Angeles, I was proud when they were in Salt Lake, and I was proud when they were in Atlanta. I didn't give a shit that California is a Democratic state and Utah and Georgia are Republican states.

If you want to make an argument that the Olympics are not good for the U.S. because you expect it will be a net loss of money, or you think the security problems with having an event of that magnitude are too great, or whatever, then go for it. I understand that and I respect it, even if I disagree. But if all you're doing is crowing about some imaginary scoreboard where the enmies of Obama just scored points, then I think it's fucking pathetic.
Old 10-05-09, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Who gives a fuck?

I rooted HARD against a NYC olympics

1) Nightmare in this city
2) Why do we CONSTANTLY need the Olympics? Shit, its a WORLDWIDE competition
3) Its a huge waste of money

I would never trust those numbers the cities release...they have a strong insentive to inflate the numbers
Old 10-05-09, 12:48 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Prime Minister of Japan went to Copenhagen. So did the King of Spain. Neither country got the Olympics this time, but I don't think the countries or their leaders "lost face" or credibility.

I don't know what the big deal is with the US not winning the Olympics bid despite the Obamas' presence. Some folks are just trying too hard to find issues where there aren't. This is just another made-up "teleprompter issue." I wonder why we haven't discussed that lately?

I am glad that Brazil got it, for the simple reason that it's the first time it's going to be held in South America.
Old 10-05-09, 01:34 AM

I don't get how the Olympics would lose money in Chicago. Hell, you could have the Olympics there tomorrow, with all the stuff in and around the city, without having to break the bank much.
Old 10-05-09, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kuroiinu View Post
The Prime Minister of Japan went to Copenhagen. So did the King of Spain. Neither country got the Olympics this time, but I don't think the countries or their leaders "lost face" or credibility.
Crazy Japanese PM wife.

So that link is to a site that I've never seen before; please don't go all crazy on me for whatever political/social connections it has. I only found it as the first hit on Google for "Prime minister japan wife crazy." Most of the news stories about her are in Japanese, obviously.

Here's one of her quotes (translated into English, and found on that site):

Originally Posted by Miyuki Hatoyama
“I eat the sun,” Miyuki says, raising her arms as if to tear pieces off an imaginary sun. “Like this: yum, yum, yum. It gives me enormous energy. My husband has recently started doing that too.”
Maybe the Olympic Committee was afraid it wouldn't be sunny enough in Japan.

I also want to say I agree with JasonF's comments above. (Now don't go editing them to include things I don't agree with...)
Old 10-05-09, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk God

No matter how you slice it, you do have to love the headline, "Obama + Michelle x Oprah = 0"

I do think it is overall a silly thing. I am glad South America will get to have it. I can't imagine having it in my city (if I lived in a city). Sounds like a lot of pain in the ass. I can't imagine how they can find people to pay the prices they ask. I was going to go to Curling in Vancouver at the Winter Olympics. Best I could do was the Bronze match, and I had to buy a package that included 2 "b" events of their choice, and it was $1,500 per ticket. Imagine if it had been hockey or figure skating or other crap people actually watch. Shit, I'd rather go to a superbowl. Not to mention a Motel 6 would cost $500 per night, most likely.
Old 10-05-09, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

JasonF and others:
NY Times' Paul Krugman talks about this here. I don't agree with everything he writes, but I think he's right that the people cheering this loss and calling it a great failure of Obama are acting childish.
Old 10-05-09, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just heard democracy now podcast for last friday and they had this guy that argued against the olympics. It was surprising because he came down hard on Obama and democracy now is left leaning show.
Old 10-05-09, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Obama has overestimated his abilities of persuassion - and not just about the subject we're talking about but, more importantly, in certain legislative matters.

It might be a good thing that he's been 'brought back to earth' by these, shall we say, setbacks.
Old 10-05-09, 08:46 AM
Admin-MemeCat

I don't get where you guys somehow think that Obama thought it was a "lock" if he just showed up that the US would get the 2016 Olympics.

He felt his presence might help, obviously it wasn't enough. I don't get all the hand wringing over this.
Old 10-05-09, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't give a shit that California is a Democratic state and Utah and Georgia are Republican states.
just a note: We were a pretty Deocratic state when we had the olympics.
Old 10-05-09, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
He felt his presence might help, obviously it wasn't enough. I don't get all the hand wringing over this.
me neither.

But it is typical partisan politics. The fanboys on one side hate Obama and everything that they associate with him and want to see him fail. The fanboys on the other side are in this case correctly pointing out the hypocrisy on the first side in people putting party over country
Old 10-05-09, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
I don't get where you guys somehow think that Obama thought it was a "lock" if he just showed up that the US would get the 2016 Olympics.

He overestimated his 'abilities.'

It's understandable. Remember a few months ago when we had a thread about him being the messiah. It was not to be taken seriously, but many people did think he was knd of a wonder worker. It's just human nature that some of that went to his head.

As I say - he's being bought back to earth - rudely in some cases.

Just as Jimmy Carter was brought back to earth. One can only hope it doesn't take Obama as long as it did Carter.
Old 10-05-09, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
just a note: We were a pretty Deocratic state when we had the olympics.
You guys went for Dole, didn't you?

See how much I didn't care whether Georgia was a Democratic or Republican state? I just assumed it was a Republican state because it was in the South and still cheered for it!
Old 10-05-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You guys went for Dole, didn't you?

See how much I didn't care whether Georgia was a Democratic or Republican state? I just assumed it was a Republican state because it was in the South and still cheered for it!
That was after the Olympics. The D's still had a pretty strong hold on state politics at that time
Old 10-05-09, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Who the fuck cares about the Olympics? Shut it down (except for men's swimming and diving)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.