Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Who to vote for in the upcoming NJ Governor election?

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 09-30-09, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the governor election comming up soon in NJ I have the unfortunate task of voting for Governor in our estimeed state of NJ.
Who do I vote for? At this time I have no idea.

(D) Corzine is terrible
(R) Christie seems to be a power monger who uses his power to get out of tough, personal situations.
(I) Dagget I know nothing about, but I may be voting for because the other two I don't really like.
This maybe the first time ever that I go Independant, as of now i'm leaning that way but i'm not convinced of anyone that I vote for.
If I go Independant I already know that he won't win and it'll be like throwing away my vote, but the other two I can't see voting for.
I really don't know at this point.
And if I don't vote at all- I can't do that.- I have to vote for someone.

Last edited by JOE29; 09-30-09 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-30-09, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Who to vote for in the up-comming NJ Governor election?

Don't know much about the candidates but voting for (I) isn't throwing away your vote. At the minimum, it shows the major parties you're tired of their crap.
Old 09-30-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just move to PA like all your other Jersey invaders.

Old 09-30-09, 09:26 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't vote for Christie because he's fat.

At least that's what I take away from the Corzine ads.
Old 09-30-09, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't see myself voting for Christie even though I strongly dislike Corzine.

From things that Republicans are usually helpful for (increased gun rights, lower taxes) he's bad, and he'll be terrible on drug policy where at least Corzine is showing progress.

Also, Corzine is a billionaire so it's probably hard to bribe him.
Old 09-30-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I love that Corzine commercial where that happy music is playing while it covers all the good things Corzine did. Then the music cuts to silence and it talks about all the bad things Christie has done.
Old 09-30-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Venusian View Post
Don't know much about the candidates but voting for (I) isn't throwing away your vote. At the minimum, it shows the major parties you're tired of their crap.
I like your answer. But the fact remains, If I vote Independant,
I already know, today , that he will not win.
Old 09-30-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JOE29 View Post
Then ask yourself this, which one do you want to win? If you are using your vote to choose the winner, you are not really voting, you are just going along with the crowd.

I vote for the best qualified person. If the choices are all equally poor, I don't vote.

My right to vote also means that my not voting is an expression of my discontent and displeasure.
Old 09-30-09, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Who to vote for in the upcoming NJ Governor election?

Corzine sucks. He has been an absolutely horrible governor. He does not deserve a second term.

Christie also sucks. His experience is as a prosecutor. He has a good record in that department, but the state is in a severe economic crisis, and I don't see that he has any experience in that department.

Corzine's adds are ridiculous. He goes after Christie for a 40K loan to a friend ( which the friend is, and has been, paying back ), meanwhile he has given millions to his former union boss girlfriend. He also promised transparency in goverment, but when it was found out that he had secret contract negotiations with said former union leader girlfriend, he fights to hide those emails. The union has since terminated said ex-girlfriend from being the union boss. But she had that union endorse him in his primary runs, and that helped him get the democrat nomination in the first place. But that is all OK and fine. And Corzine goes after Christie for having tickets on his driving record, and for not getting a ticket for an accident he caused ( which in NJ is not automatic anyway ). Big deal. The state is facing a 6-10 BILLION dollar budget deficit next year ( in big thanks to Corzine pushing back certain expenditures till AFTER this election ), but the candidate not getting a 100 dollar ticket is a big issue. It is lame what Corzine is digging up.

Bottom line, both Candidates suck, and NJ is screwed. Don't believe either candidate this year when they talk about lowering taxes, because next year the shit hits the fan with the budget.
Old 09-30-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So?

Do you want to vote for the winner or who you want to be the winner?
Old 09-30-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You also know that 99.99999% of the time, your one vote will not be the difference maker since the margin will be >1 vote. Vote for the best candidate, whoever you think that is, not just who you think has a chance of winning.
Old 09-30-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You should run for governor. I'll tell all my relatives in NJ to vote for you.
Old 09-30-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't know anything about anyone other than Corzine, but I can't imagine a state that would re-elect him. But Oregon may do the same with their loser, so who knows?
Old 09-30-09, 05:24 PM
Suspended

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have lived in NJ my whole life, and I hope Christie wins just for the fact that the dems have been in power for almost 10 years now and have gotten totally corrupt. With big names resigning like Torricelli and McGreevey because of ethics problems, and other smaler names leaving office too. This is a perfect example of corruption gone wild because people keep voting these guys in. Once in a while, a different party needs control just to keep these guys in check.

I am not saying Christie is the be all end all, but Corzine has been a terrible Governor.
Old 09-30-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 View Post
You also know that 99.99999% of the time, your one vote will not be the difference maker since the margin will be >1 vote. Vote for the best candidate, whoever you think that is, not just who you think has a chance of winning.
True, I understand your points. Thanks guys for setting me straight.
It looks like i'm going Independant.
Old 10-01-09, 12:30 AM

There are more independents in New Jersey than Democrats or Republicans. Independents would win in New Jersey if people stopped having this attitude.

I know I'm going to vote for Christie. It's kind of baffling how dysfunctional the state has gotten under Corzine and how inept he is. I really can't see how Corzine can win even if he is getting closer in the polls.
Old 10-01-09, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Senor Javi View Post
I really can't see how Corzine can win even if he is getting closer in the polls.
Well Corzine has a lot more money to spend. Christie took the public funds option so he has like 10 million to spend,meanwhile Corzine has his Goldman Sacs money.

It's funny, the Democrats denounce the wall street types all they can and make the leaders of those companies out to be the biggest, evilest people on the planet, EXCEPT when one of them decides to be a democrat.

Corzine at this point is just scaring people with his adds, and it seems to be working. His adds on Christie's health care plan are effective. NJ has like 45+ health care mandates that require insurance policies to cover additional things that a normal policy wouldn't have. Longer hospital stays after childbirth, coverage for autism, mamograms, etc. Christie wants to allow insurance companies to sell cheaper policies that don't require all those additional coverages. You know, give people CHOICE. Corzine takes that and makes the commercials say that that stuff will be eliminated for everybody.

Now aren't the democrats the ones that say a public option is needed to give people more CHOICE?

I also don't really get why insurance companies don't cover mamograms and why that always seems to be an issue. Are they THAT expensive to do?