Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events
Reload this Page >

Michigan government threatens to jail babysitter for not having a daycare license.

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film
View Poll Results: What do you think?
I think what the government is doing is ridiculous.
66.67%
I think what the babysitter is doing is ridiculous.
4.76%
I think what the kids are doing is ridiculous.
4.76%
I think what the kids' parents are doing is ridiculous.
0%
I think this poll is ridiculous.
23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Michigan government threatens to jail babysitter for not having a daycare license.

Old 09-24-09, 09:02 PM
Political Exile

I think what the government is doing is ridiculous.

What do you think?

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/news_stor...4016&catid=14#

Middleville woman threatened with fines for watching neighbor's kids

9/24/2009

MIDDLEVILLE (WZZM)- A West Michigan woman says the state is threatening her with fines and possibly jail time for babysitting her neighbors' children.

Lisa Snyder of Middleville says her neighborhood school bus stop is right in front of her home. It arrives after her neighbors need to be at work, so she watches three of their children for 15-40 minutes until the bus comes.

The Department of Human Services received a complaint that Snyder was operating an illegal child care home. DHS contacted Snyder and told her to get licensed, stop watching her neighbors' kids, or face the consequences.

"That we have babysitting police running around this state violating people, threatening to put them in jail or fine them $1,000 for helping their neighbor is truly outrageous" said State Representative Brian Calley.

Calley is drafting legislation that would exempt people who agree to care for non-dependent children from day care rules as long as they're not engaged in a business.

A DHS spokesperson would not comment on the specifics of the case but says they have no choice but to comply with state law, which is designed to protect Michigan children.
Old 09-25-09, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Michigan government threatens to jail babysitter for not having a daycare license

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
A DHS spokesperson would not comment on the specifics of the case but says they have no choice but to comply with state law, which is designed to protect Michigan children.
That's probably a mistake in the article. I'm sure what the spokesperson said was that the law is designed to protect Michigan children's day care facilities' profits.
Old 09-25-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Michigan government threatens to jail babysitter for not having a daycare license

Seriously, do we need a poll here? Is there anyone here who actually sides with the state?
Old 09-25-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

I hate when people say this to justify a stupid decision. It is such a load of crap. Police, prosecutors, CPS, DHS, etc. all make decisions to not enforce rules all the time.
Old 09-25-09, 10:19 AM

Maybe it's a stupid law; I don't know. What I do know is that as soon as something bad happens to a child in an unregulated day care, the voters in Michigan will be up in arms for the government to do something about it for the sake of the kids.

When it comes to government regulation, most people are inconsistent morons who want their cake and the ability to eat it too.
Old 09-25-09, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Maybe it's a stupid law; I don't know. What I do know is that as soon as something bad happens to a child in an unregulated day care, the voters in Michigan will be up in arms for the government to do something about it for the sake of the kids.

When it comes to government regulation, most people are inconsistent morons who want their cake and the ability to eat it too.
If by cake you mean well written laws that protect children and by eating it you mean sensible enforcement of said laws, then yes, I want both. Perhaps I am more sensitive than the average person because my state is about the worst when it comes to hurting families to "protect the kids."
Old 09-25-09, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by orangecrush View Post
If by cake you mean well written laws that protect children and by eating it you mean sensible enforcement of said laws, then yes, I want both.
No, I mean they want the state to simultaneously leave them the hell alone and also protect them from every fear, real or imagined. Essentially, these "people" want a set of laws that follow common sense, not realizing that common sense is neither a practical basis for law, nor is there a universally agreed upon determination of what it means.
Old 09-25-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If by cake you mean red velvet with a cream cheese frosting, and if by eat it you mean naked in an empty kiddy pool; then yes, I want both.
Old 09-25-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, I mean they want the state to simultaneously leave them the hell alone and also protect them from every fear, real or imagined. Essentially, these "people" want a set of laws that follow common sense, not realizing that common sense is neither a practical basis for law, nor is there a universally agreed upon determination of what it means.
Exactly. Somewhere out there, there is a kid getting left at a bus stop in front of a neighbor's house. The neighbor is watching the kid while he waits for the bus, but the kid is still going to wind up getting hit by a car, or molested, or something, and people are going to be outraged that this neighbor was allowed to supervise the kid. It's the American way.
Old 09-25-09, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The left will always find a way to justify a police state.
Old 09-25-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

The Department of Human Services received a complaint that Snyder was operating an illegal child care home.
So let's assume that is true. Let's assume someone 5 doors down has a license and does it "by the book". Is having your house in front of a bus stop negate the need for someone to get a children care license?

I article doesn't say if she's profiting from it but I highly doubt she's just being nice. Nobody is nice anymore.
Old 09-25-09, 01:58 PM

I hate when people say this to justify a stupid decision. It is such a load of crap. Police, prosecutors, CPS, DHS, etc. all make decisions to not enforce rules all the time.
I doubt they can do that (ignore the law) if there's a complaint on record. And with good reason.
Old 09-25-09, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
The left will always find a way to justify a police state.
But you are the police state!
Old 09-25-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But you are the police state!
I know, and I hate myself for it everyday.
Old 09-25-09, 02:17 PM
Political Exile

I think actual day cares should be regulated by the government, because parents are having their children taken care of by strangers.

But this wasn't a stranger in a day care - it was a neighbor who was babysitting.
Old 09-25-09, 02:17 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by DeputyDave View Post
Seriously, do we need a poll here? Is there anyone here who actually sides with the state?
There is no poll in this thread.
Old 09-25-09, 02:18 PM
Political Exile

If by cake you mean well written laws that protect children and by eating it you mean sensible enforcement of said laws, then yes, I want both. Perhaps I am more sensitive than the average person because my state is about the worst when it comes to hurting families to "protect the kids."
Having your child be babysat by a neighbor whom you know, is not the same thing as handing your child off to a stranger who runs a daycare.
Old 09-25-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt they can do that (ignore the law) if there's a complaint on record. And with good reason.
Why not? CPS, police and other "enforcers" do it all the time.
Old 09-25-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
So let's assume that is true. Let's assume someone 5 doors down has a license and does it "by the book". Is having your house in front of a bus stop negate the need for someone to get a children care license?

I article doesn't say if she's profiting from it but I highly doubt she's just being nice. Nobody is nice anymore.
I agree. I find it very hard to believe that the state would waste their time with this if no money was being made up to a certain point and if she was only watching a few kids.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if this was reported because of an HOA thing, some are very strict.
Old 09-25-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There is no poll in this thread.
Do I have a tumor? I could swear there is a poll right at the top of page one. Maybe I've been in the sun too long.