Release List Reviews Shop Join News DVD Giveaways Video Games Advertise
DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk > Religion, Politics and World Events

Religion, Politics and World Events They make great dinner conversation, don't you think? plus Political Film

Old 05-20-17, 09:43 PM   #476
DVD Talk Hero

Re: FCC to enact "Net Neutrality" [UPDATE: DEAD NET WALKING]

But Trump was legitimately elected. Regardless of what happened with the voting machines, the electoral college met and voted for him. Even if I grant that you're correct and WI, MI, and PA were all flipped due to hacking, at the end of the day, the electors chose Trump in accordance with the Constitution. And even if you somehow argue around that, Gorsuch was confirmed by a majority of the Senate. He's not going anywhere.
"JasonF can do no wrong!" -- Rockmjd23
Old 05-20-17, 10:46 PM   #477
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
Anything instituted by this (current) President, and any appointments (like Gorsuch or Pai) are going to be rendered invalid after all this shakes out.
It's going to fall at the hands of the interim President to make reappointments of the current seated individuals- and given what the state of the Congress is going to look like at that point, many of these people will not get confirmed.

A breathtakingly universal re-alignment is coming- both physical in terms of players, as well as existential in terms of attitudes.

As Obama said, with specific foreshadowing, on his way out the door- "The arc of moral history is long, but it bends towards Justice"
Wow.

While this would be fantastic, none of his will happen. I'll happily bet you cold hard cash.

Trump will probably end up appointing another judge during his 8 year run.
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 05-22-17, 10:19 PM   #478
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Another reason why I find it impossible to believe this guy will be sitting on the court for very long.

Quote:
WASHINGTON ― Newly minted Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch showed his hand Monday on where he will likely stand on cases that would increase the amount of power held by large political donors.

As the Supreme Court declined to hear a major campaign finance case that could have led to the lifting of campaign contribution limits to political parties, Gorsuch joined Justice Clarence Thomas in an unwritten dissent. That means Gorsuch and Thomas wanted the court to hear the case, and likely wanted to vote to overturn yet another limit on big money in politics.
The longer he is seated (after the full accounting of Trump and McConnell has taken place), the more the integrity of the last remaining 'clean' branch of Gov't will be called into question.
After the games that Tippy the Turtle played to get a Trump/GOP nominee confirmed, NO ONE is going to want to see this guy on the court- even if he is personally clean.
Old 05-25-17, 02:06 AM   #479
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Quote:
Since taking over the FCC earlier this year, commission chairman Ajit Pai has released the text of most proposals a month before they’re voted on. This is done in the name of transparency, so the public knows what the commission is up to. But it’s also done so that the commission can begin receiving comments and factor them in to the revised version of each proposal that it ends up voting on.

This is the same process that happened with the commission’s proposal to kill the 2015 net neutrality rules. An initial draft was published last month, and yesterday we got to see the revised draft that ended up being voted on. In between, there were plenty of comments made for the FCC to look at: 2.6 million as of today. (Though tens of thousands appear to be fake.)

But if the commission began taking them into account, it isn’t very clear. We were only able to spot a handful of changes in the main text of the proposal, and many of them seem to be the commission blowing its own horn.
https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/24/1...es-few-changes

I would love to read some accounts on how this guy behaved back in Harvard. Was he much as a dickhead as Ted Cruz was back in his Harvard days?
Old 07-21-17, 01:07 PM   #480
Admin-Self Banned

Thought this was interesting. Looks like content throttling and slowing down of rival content has begun. This is only the tip of the iceberg. If you like streaming content from a source other than your ISP, you're not going to like the Ajit Pai era at the FCC. Again, you voted for this America.

The Verge - Netflix speeds on Verizon Wireless appear to be capped for some customers

Quote:
With net neutrality fresh on the minds of many in the United States, it seems that the data speeds at which Verizon Wireless customers can stream Netflix videos have quietly been capped in some instances. A tipster directed The Verge to this Reddit thread, where numerous users have reported that they’re unable to reach download speeds any faster than around 10Mbps when connecting to Netflix as well as Fast.com, a speed test tool that’s powered by Netflix’s servers. The Verge has reached out to both Verizon and Netflix for comment. A Netflix spokesperson replied “We are definitely not capping data on our end and don’t cap data for any mobile networks.”

I’m a Verizon customer myself (on the current unlimited data plan) and my own tests seem to confirm that something is going on. When running a Fast.com test, I’m hovering between 5Mbps and 10Mbps and never see anything higher. Jumping over to Ookla’s Speed Test tool, I’m getting more typical and faster rates of around 40Mbps. Users at Howard Forums are also experiencing the cap, with some claiming that it’s being applied to YouTube in addition to just Netflix.

Download speeds from Ookla’s Speedtest are much faster than when using Netflix’s Fast.com.

The vast majority of Verizon Wireless customers would be unlikely to notice problems or experience any interruptions with a speed cap of 10Mbps for Netflix. That’s more than sufficient for smooth, full HD 1080p video playback. Trying to stream 4K video would lead to issues, but no one’s really watching 4K on their phones yet.

Until one or both companies provide clarification, it’s a bit early to point the finger at Verizon. Last year, Netflix admitted that it had for years silently put a limit on the maximum connection speeds of AT&T and Verizon smartphone users. The logic at the time was that most consumers were on tiered or bucketed data plans and Netflix was saving customers from themselves and expensive phone bill overages. Eventually, the company introduced quality controls right inside the Netflix app to give subscribers greater choice over their own quality preferences and data usage. And you’ve now got the option of downloading content for offline viewing.

Reddit users report being unable to stream Netflix at speeds faster than around 10Mbps.

Verizon rivals AT&T and T-Mobile include some level of video “optimization” (better described as throttling) as part of their base unlimited data plans. Sprint does not, and Verizon has never given any indication that it would put a limit on video streaming speeds for unlimited customers. Again, without direct comment from either company, it’s difficult to know whether this is a form of intentional network oversight, an error/bug, or an issue on Netflix’s side of things.

After wavering back and forth some, Netflix returned as a strong defender of net neutrality in June, even while acknowledging that it’s too big and too popular to be impacted by FCC chairman Ajit Pai’s desire to rescind Title II and the net neutrality rules imposed under his predecessor.

www.endgerrymandering.com
Gerrymandering in the US
Old 07-21-17, 01:20 PM   #481
DVD Talk Hero

Waiting to hear again why this is good for the consumer in 3...2...
Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - Men in Black
Old 07-21-17, 08:28 PM   #482
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draven View Post
Waiting to hear again why this is good for the consumer in 3...2...
Freedom!

-- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
Old 07-27-17, 09:54 AM   #483
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm noticed my internet is running a little slower since last night. Has Pai begun this nightmare or can I breathe easy for a little while longer?
Old 07-27-17, 01:46 PM   #484
DVD Talk Legend

I pay for the second highest tier of internet and have recently had trouble getting enough bandwidth to even attempt share play on my PS4. Something is definitely not right.
Old 07-27-17, 01:56 PM   #485
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If it only happens when using certain sites or your console you could try using a vpn.
Old 07-27-17, 02:24 PM   #486

Screw you very much, America.
Old 07-27-17, 03:15 PM   #487
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatD View Post
I'm noticed my internet is running a little slower since last night. Has Pai begun this nightmare or can I breathe easy for a little while longer?
Right now I think it's just Verizon WIRELESS that is confirmed throttling its competitor, Netflix. Not sure about the land line based ISP. I'm sure this is just a test to see if the public accepts inferior internet and then it will become the norm.

Gerrymandering in the US

Last edited by VinVega; 07-27-17 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-27-17, 03:32 PM   #488
DVD Talk Hero

Nice, instead of moving forward and improving our internet structure, like all other modern countries (and some 3rd world countries) have been doing, we're regressing and going backwards. Thanks Trump, way to make America great. Again!
Old 07-27-17, 03:35 PM   #489
DVD Talk Legend

They will make it better and then charge you even more money to use it. I pay for 150 mbps download and I'm not even getting half of that.
Old 07-27-17, 03:38 PM   #490
Admin-Self Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Nice, instead of moving forward and improving our internet structure, like all other modern countries (and some 3rd world countries) have been doing, we're regressing and going backwards. Thanks Trump, way to make America great. Again!
Less choice and freedom are the engines that drove the internet era I think.

Gerrymandering in the US
Old 08-09-17, 02:27 PM   #491

Quote:
Americans might not need a fast home Internet connection, the Federal Communications Commission suggests in a new document. Instead, mobile Internet via a smartphone might be all people need.

The suggestion comes in the FCC's annual inquiry into broadband availability. Section 706 of the Telecommunications Act requires the FCC to determine whether broadband (or more formally, "advanced telecommunications capability") is being deployed to all Americans in a reasonable and timely fashion. If the FCC finds that broadband isn't being deployed quickly enough to everyone, it is required by law to "take immediate action to accelerate deployment of such capability by removing barriers to infrastructure investment and by promoting competition in the telecommunications market."

The FCC found during George W. Bush's presidency that fast Internet service was being deployed in a reasonable and timely fashion. But during the Obama administration, the FCC determined repeatedly that broadband isn't reaching Americans fast enough, pointing in particular to lagging deployment in rural areas. These analyses did not consider mobile broadband to be a full replacement for a home (or "fixed") Internet connection via cable, fiber, or some other technology.

Last year, the FCC updated its analysis with a conclusion that Americans need home and mobile access. Because home Internet connections and smartphones have different capabilities and limitations, Americans should have access to both instead of just one or the other, the FCC concluded under then-Chairman Tom Wheeler.

https://arstechnica.com/information-...-fcc-suggests/
Old 08-09-17, 02:51 PM   #492
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
But during the Obama administration, the FCC determined repeatedly that broadband isn't reaching Americans fast enough, pointing in particular to lagging deployment in rural areas.
Kinda interesting they made such observations...but yet did nothing about it. Of course, it has been debated frequently that rural areas don't particularly vote Democrat.

Potentially conspiratorial reasons for delaying rural area deployment of services aside, I seriously doubt we'll have ISPs only offering 10Mbps speeds. However, if we had a government-run ISP agency, which is what was suggested under Obama's Administration, you certainly would have such a situation.

Btw, love the redirect fuck-up links, thanks to DVD Talk's awesome advertising goodness.

Code:
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_150230821324414&key=71d9fc14f592a3085ee2ed65d9a66944&libId=j65f6inh010009mo000DA7blazpgi&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.dvdtalk.com%2Freligion-politics-world-events%2F561703-fcc-enact-net-neutrality-update-dead-net-walking-20.html&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Farstechnica.com%2Finformation-technology%2F2017%2F08%2Fmaybe-americans-dont-need-fast-home-internet-service-fcc-suggests%2F&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.dvdtalk.com%2Freligion-politics-world-events-47%2F&title=FCC%20to%20enact%20%22Net%20Neutrality%22%20%5BUPDATE%3A%20DEAD%20NET%20WALKING%5D%20-%20Page%2020%20-%20DVD%20Talk%20Forum&txt=https%3A%2F%2Farstechnica.com%2Finformation-...-fcc-suggests%2F

"I don't sell airplane parts. I've never sold airplane parts."
Old 08-31-17, 12:08 AM   #493
DVD Talk Hero

Someone apparently hacked the FCC and posted this up. (It's still there, too) Unless someone at the FCC just has strong net neutrality opinions...

Old 08-31-17, 07:31 AM   #494
Admin-Self Banned

- In the pocket of mega corporations, not the people.

Gerrymandering in the US
Old 08-31-17, 09:43 AM   #495
DVD Talk Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Kinda interesting they made such observations...but yet did nothing about it. Of course, it has been debated frequently that rural areas don't particularly vote Democrat.

Potentially conspiratorial reasons for delaying rural area deployment of services aside, I seriously doubt we'll have ISPs only offering 10Mbps speeds. However, if we had a government-run ISP agency, which is what was suggested under Obama's Administration, you certainly would have such a situation.

Btw, love the redirect fuck-up links, thanks to DVD Talk's awesome advertising goodness.

Code:
http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_150230821324414&key=71d9fc14f592a3085ee2ed65d9a66944&libId=j65f6inh010009mo000DA7blazpgi&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.dvdtalk.com%2Freligion-politics-world-events%2F561703-fcc-enact-net-neutrality-update-dead-net-walking-20.html&v=1&out=https%3A%2F%2Farstechnica.com%2Finformation-technology%2F2017%2F08%2Fmaybe-americans-dont-need-fast-home-internet-service-fcc-suggests%2F&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fforum.dvdtalk.com%2Freligion-politics-world-events-47%2F&title=FCC%20to%20enact%20%22Net%20Neutrality%22%20%5BUPDATE%3A%20DEAD%20NET%20WALKING%5D%20-%20Page%2020%20-%20DVD%20Talk%20Forum&txt=https%3A%2F%2Farstechnica.com%2Finformation-...-fcc-suggests%2F
It's funny you think that considering how the ISPs are fighting tooth and nail against municipal broadband. It has proven to be faster and cheaper than the incumbents, so of course Republicans have opposed it at every turn in order to bow to their masters.

It's also funny you blame Obama, when he's not in charge of rolling out broadband. He appointed a fantastic FCC head who did his job, which is now being undone. Your ignorance in this area is not particularly surprising. An Obama conspiracy that rural areas didn't get broadband? I'm sure that will be corrected now that Republicans control everything.
Old 08-31-17, 10:19 AM   #496
DVD Talk Hero

As I've always understood it, the issue with rural access is that the companies have already laid the telephone and cable lines. So when those lines can't handle higher and higher speeds, oh well. They aren't going to run fiber out to Farmer John's trailer in the middle of Bumfuck, Wisconsin.

How that's Obama's fault is beyond me but Polizei doesn't disappoint.